This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road
Default SITE CONVERSION THIS WEEKEND!!!

The site conversion to new software will occur this weekend. At the moment we are anticipating a 2-3 day outage starting early Saturday morning. You all should be aware of the following changes/occurances with the new software:
  • 1. All of you that use a different login name than display name (i.e. the name you use to login in with is not the same as the name that people see on the forums) will no longer be able to do so. The new software uses only one name, so we will be taking everyone’s display names as your universal username.
  • 2. As has been posted now for 3 weeks, you can only have 100 total PMs in your in and out boxes when we do the site conversion, so any of you with more than that will have everything but your latest 100 PMs deleted. We do have an issue on the import that will sometimes add PMs you’ve sent to your sent folder if the other person has them still in their inbox even if you previously deleted them. This may make you go over your allotted limit when you first log in, so please clean up those boxes once you get in so we don’t have to do it.
  • 3. Avatars that are over 20k in size will not be ported over to the new forums. That’s a very generous file size and if your avatar is over that and you want to keep it, you can edit your image in just about any graphics program.
  • 4. Our limit on the new system is 80x80pixels for avatars. On this software we only allowed 48x48, so you are getting more space. Those users with avatars over 80x80 will not be imported. On the current software large pictures are resized down, so you may not even realize you are on the list. Please check it, it was posted last week and can be found in the Shrapnel General forum.
  • 5. The new software will have an infraction system which will help take away some of the manual work the moderators and administrators currently have to do. Please make sure you look over the infraction system carefully so you know what the rules are (rules have been updated) and the penalties for breaking them.

If I think of anything else everyone needs to know before the conversion, I will update this list.

Thank you,
Mindi

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Looks like it is running, if a bit slower than the old forums.

I hope you're planning to enable the UBB Code again (your post above is broken as of this post)
And will you be getting the sandy/tan background back? The blue is unshrapnelly (sand == wargames)

Last edited by Suicide Junkie; August 11th, 2008 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: test
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

Yes, as I put in the forum notice on the left hand side, there is still plenty of tweaking left to do and there will even be some additions. We wanted to get the site back up as quickly as possible though and made the decision to bring it up tonight and continue working this week. We figured the users would rather have a forum that works well and they can use now, than a forum that is perfect that they won't be able to use for several more days.

As for the colors, you'll have to take it up with Tim as he designed the site. I will say though this color scheme was set up to match our new logo that we revealed a couple of years ago (the blue one obviously) to be more encompassing to all of our games since we definitely cover more than wargames these days.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Well, I just discovered another thing, having posted that last post...

The default is set to subscribe you to every thread you post in. Might be a good idea to change that default to "Do Not Subscribe" in order to avoid people filling their profile chock full of that stuff by accident.

Last edited by Suicide Junkie; August 11th, 2008 at 10:59 PM..
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

We'll designate an area tomorrow for collecting bug reports, as we know there is some tweaking to be done. Please hang tight, because we do want to hear your feedback. Right now, though, the team who worked so hard to get everything moved over and re-opened tonight need to get some sleep.
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

We've stickied a thread at the top of this area for reporting bugs related to the new software:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40153

Last edited by Annette; August 12th, 2008 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: bad link