.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default History of the Multiverse, Part 1

Ok, this is a challenge to all you creative writers out there to come up with a clear, consise, descriptive, involved, interesting, convoluted, chaotic, realistic, fantastic, and/or whatever other adjectives, explitives, and other grammatical terms I haven't employed since the 5th grade or so, History for the Dominions setting.

Here are the rules:

1, the events have to fit on a timeline, somewhere, that we'll all be using. Everyone uses the same timeline. We'll have to agree on one first, ofcourse, and that will be the hardest part.

Alternative timelines/settings ARE allowed, but to use them, you have to do 2 things, 1: let us know upfront that it *is* an alternative timeline or setting or viewpoint, etc. from established canon or the main timeline, and 2: give a reason why the timeline or whatever split off.

2, Everything has to agree with and follow along with the known Dominions canon-aka you can add to what we know, but you can't take away, without express permission from the Devs. So, what's presented in the three Ages happened in that order, and so forth.

3, Once you've entered something into the History, it's there for everyone to use-and for the Devs to overwrite/veto/etc-but I'd strongly suggest you get permission first before you use it

4, Everything entered should follow along with the themes presented in Dominions-that means a basis in A: real-world religion, history, philosophy, technology, etc. B: a real-world mythos that is within the public domain (Cthulhu mythos, Jules Verne, etc.), or C: you either make it up yourself, whole cloth, or change it enough that it is far enough removed from the original source that nobody can sue.

5, 3, Be Responsible. Do your research, know your canon (or ask), do your best not to step on the toes and feelings of others, and don't plaigerize. Also, the Devs have final say over everything, period. This should be obvious, but I feel it should be said.

I will be more than happy to personally help anyone who asks, to the best of my ability, whenever I have time to do so (which isn't always a lot, but please always feel free to ask, and I will help everyone I can, as much as I can), with any kind of research or editing or whatever.

6, No events that would change the Dominions setting into something radically different, unless presented in such a way as to make this a natural progression. Thus, you are allowed to have aliens land on the Dominions world, as a nation (aka R'lyeh), but not in massive UFOs, unless/until such time as the idea of UFOs would seem to fit in with the current direction the Age you're working on is going in-so, at the very least, not until Pseudo-Victorian times, if such exists.

This rule is primarily to prevent any "power-tripping" or "immersion-breaking" events, nations, etc. It's not there to harm anyone's creativity-so if you can make up something that wouldn't objectively seem to fit, but you can shoe-horn it in, in such a way that it makes the game more fun for everyone, then by all means do so. Just try to do it with tact and moderation, and the consideration that others may follow in your footsteps.

7: Any technology which has been invented or could be invented is allowed. This means yes to gunpowder, yes to internal combustion engines, yes to whatever, BUT: magic exists, it works, it's powerful, and it is every bit as possible to innovate with magic as it is with technology, and humans aren't the only ones with access to it.

For that matter, for the purposes of the History, consider magic and technology to be the same thing, and the "differences" to simply be a matter of perspective by way of Arthur C Clarke, excepting that, instead of magic simply being highly advanced technology, it's a resource/powersource that can be harnessed and utilized from the beginning, through certain methods only available to the beings living within the Dominions setting.

Just remember that others may follow in your footsteps-once guns are in the game, they're in, and they're not coming back out again, so I'd suggest the community be wise about what goes in when and how and to what extent.

8, No events shall circumvent the basic theme of Dominions-by this I mean that no, the Pantokrator was not an elf, etc. etc. etc.

9, No Pantokrator-yes, there is a Pantokrator within Dominions, and yes, that being did influence certain events, but the events associated with the rise-and supposed fall-of the Pantokrator are to be assumed to be what is being simulated whenever you begin a new game.

Thus, whoever wins the game *IS* the Pantokrator, and as such, the Pantokrator is outside time and space, and the capacity of this History, except where utilized by the Devs.

The exception to this-and this should be kept to a minimum-is that the Pantokrator may act upon the world to the extent of your average Urban Legend-by this I mean rumors, superstitious, and suppositions that an all-powerful being may be acting upon the greater timeline in some fashion, but no concrete fact, unless stated by the Devs. This should not be on the level of a major or even minor religion. More along the lines of say Mothman or Batboy.

The other exception to this is that the Pantokrator may figure into the backstory of a Pretender, since Pretenders can sometimes find themselves outside of time and space, as well.

10, No matter how far in the future or past you choose to go with Dominions, magic shall remain a major influence on events. Astral magic-atleast-exists at every point in time, and the other magic paths should be assumed to exist as long as there is a reason for them to exist. Other paths may be added (if you can get the Devs to do so) but magic never totally disappears. It should be viewed as a cycle, with magic being very powerful and "physical" in one age, fading or changing in another age (or through several), but with the potential to grow stronger and more direct-or different, or simply easier to work with-in ages to come.

This is mainly to keep things interesting, and to prevent arguments against someone's chain of events that happen to include strong magic where others might suppose it to be weak or non-existent.

Lastly, and this is just a suggestion, but it would be very nice if things were steered away from a Humanocentric viewpoint. One of the best things about Dominions, in my opinion, is that you've got a whole great variety of cultures, races, traditions, etc. and humans are not on top. We're already on top on Earth, and we are a major race/factor in Dominions, that's enough for our egos.

So, if you want to play in a world with just humans, I suggest go join a bowling team.

Let's all consider taking a walk on the wild side and keep things fluid where species dominance-even our own-is concerned.

Now, as to why I feel we need such a timeline and History?
I'll present my reasons below, so this thread doesn't become unreadably long. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Cold.gif[/img]
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:21 PM

General

Default Re: History of the Multiverse, Part 1

Ok, the reason behind the big, giant thread above is simply this: By way of a history for the game, we can present how nations view each other, how they've related in the past, and how to role-play them "correctly" within the dimensions of a game.

If Ermor was invading the lands of Marverni in the early ages-which real world history would seem to suggest-then it would stand to reason that Ermor and Marverni would have some sort of relationship to one another. Possibly hate and loathe each other, but just as possibly a lot of intermarriages might exist. This would then extend into Pythium, when they branched off from Ermor, and Ashen Empire, where the Late Age Marverni-descendants might be especially persecuted by the Ermorese, or might be looking for some payback with major priestly carnage.

Multiply this times every single nation in the game.

A history would also help fill in gaps, and create others, leading to more interesting-and fitting-nations. If Agarthans and Atlanteans knew about each other, it's likely they fought one another, and reasonable that they traded with one another, both being amphibious. It's even possible that they allied with each other, exchanged magical and cultural practices, worshipped similar deities, etc.

So, maybe in the Late Age you've got an offshoot of Atlanteans living in a massive, underground sea, worshipping huge basalt statues carved to represent Dagon or krakens or whatever-so, now you've got an Atlantis late age golem cult.

Maybe instead of Atlanteans, it's Aboleths hiding underground, and now you've got a divided nation who's most physically powerful units-weird tentacled golems-need magical leadership, and who's most magically powerful units-mutant albino aboleths who have gone blind from living undergound-can only survive underwater.

It stands to reason that Niefelheim and Abyssia wouldn't like each other much, but it's just as reasonable that they wouldn't have much contact at all. Which might cause them both to have myths and superstitious about one another. In Dominions, myths and superstitions have power, and that power leads to things both cultural and magical.

With history, we can explain the presence of independent nations, and we can also explain their role. It allows the creation of maps which represent "canon", and the creation of provinces and independents with a great deal more flavor than we currently have available.

Independent nations become important in the game, and when you see a province named the "Primordial Woods", you know that's one of the locations where the Ivy Kingdom is said to have encompassed-and where their remnants may still survive, and nurture old hatreds.

99% of this type of game happens in the imagination, but without the presence of a deep and involved history, you're leaving out 98%. Look at how popular Tolkien is, and he just used basic fantasy steriotypes-but the one area he truly excelled in, was depth of history and culture. He even invented a bunch of languages to go with the history and peoples of Middle Earth.

The Dominions setting has the potential for 10 times the depth Tolkien's work ever had-I mean think about it, the game was *BASED* on a multitude of real world history, information, religion, etc. and not just from the Anglo-Nordic sources Tolkien drew from, but from dozens of cultures and sources, but that potential has never been realized-and it should be realized, because it would benefit every single aspect of the game, and of our enjoyment of the game, and it's something that we can do as a community, without any programming skills at all, aside from simply the ability to type and to imagine.

I, for one, think it's really important, and really worthwile.
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Fanfiction is just what dominions need. Finally we can learn of Sporsnjalls unrequited passion for Angerboda and Tjatses lusty escapades amongst his furred friends in the Pangaean woods.
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road

... Do we have the esrb rating for that?

Especially with all the tentacled monsters we have...
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I'm only doing fanfiction if I'm allowed to write long paragraphs about the lustrous jet black hair the colour of the dark unending abyss that seemed to flow like dark waves of unending voidy abyssyness,.... of my main character, an emo goth bisexual teenage witch. She'll also write poetry about her soul which is a void of dark black poison dark abyss, which I shall reprint in full. Also something with ravens and black roses and frozen tears and crap, I have no idea. I guess she's from Ermor or something, but I can shoehorn her in anywhere.

Seriously though, this reminds me a bit of your "accepted community mods" idea HoneyBadger.
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

LP - Ewww!

Sombre - I like your story! I want to read more!
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 17th, 2007, 06:06 AM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road

Ahh...so now at last we might learn of the reason the star fell, as those who would later be emulated by the Celesital Masters of T'ein Ch'i reached out from enternity into time, and did smite the foul creatues of R'lyeh for daring to breach that which they had sealed long ago...
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Corporal

silhouette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
johan osterman said:
Fanfiction is just what dominions need. Finally we can learn of Sporsnjalls unrequited passion for Angerboda and Tjatses lusty escapades amongst his furred friends in the Pangaean woods.
Hmmm, someone should tell JO to change his password more often

But seriously, if you want to go down this path, it seems like a good first step would be to write up the real timeline of the existing 'fixed' history events we know of. What year did the falling star spell undersea doom; when was the last Neifel giant seen; when did Ermor's desperation lead to their studies with C'tis's dark arts; when did the first human forces penetrate the caverns of the one-eyed; how many years are there between the start of Early, Middle, and Late eras, etc...

Sill
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:06 AM

General

No reason it should, Sombre, since the two are completely unrelated topics. Are you sure you're actually reading the post before replying to it? And if you read that one, then why aren't you reading all the ones that actually were related? I've made several posts on this topic that were a lot more relevant to the subject.

Or maybe you mean that both ideas would actually help increase a sense of knowing what's actually going on, before throwing 50 or so nations into a bloody world war? In which case, thanks for the validation.

Johan's lustrous hair fetishes aside... this is potentially a valuable tool. I'm not talking Sombre's dreamy-eyed bisexual goth poetry, or even stories as such. I'm saying that objectively, relationships can and should be established between the various nations, based on some kind of consistent chain of events.

Not in order to hamstring or harm the multiplayer experience, or to force anyone to act in a way contrary to how they want to play their nation, but in order to give touchstones and reference-points, so that their's reasons why a player/nation's actions matter.

"Nation" is a powerful word, and it means something more than just an army.
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Sergeant

Mind Elemental is on a distinguished road

Quote:
johan osterman said:
Quote:
Lazy_Perfectionist said:
... Do we have the esrb rating for that?

Especially with all the tentacled monsters we have...
I think I just rolled against -- in no particular order -- Awe, Fear +25, and MR.

I have actually been kicking around ideas for Dominions-inspired fiction -- dark fantasy world; humans definitely not top dog in comparison to summons; battlefield dominated by mages and SCs, with ordinary soldiers just present as meat shields -- but that's not quite the same thing.