.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 17th, 2006, 06:50 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions II: Technical/Hardware Issues

Quote:
Jamie said:
This seems to be related to the above. In order to stop myself playing too much I tend to periodically wipe the game. On the last two reinstalls the game has run *grindingly* slow so as to be unplayable. I'm not talking about the battles, I don't even go there, its on everything. Even the start up screen. Just maximising the window makes the CPU grind away.

I'm running this on a Laptop with SuSE 10.1 that has an ATI Radeon 9000 in it. I have recently installed the new driver in this from ATi which to the best of my knowledge is running fine (e.g. fglrxinfo). It made no difference.

Note also the dom2 has run absolutely perfectly on this machine in the past. Indeed when I had Suse 9.1 on it I managed both states - perfect and grindingly slow without any significant system changes in between.

Hope someone can clarify this or at least give me a systematic way of uncovering the problem.

Jamie
Might be the ATI. Bad openGL support. NVidia cards usually work much better in that regard. Try the troubleshooting threads. If nothing happens, PM me or post to the Dom3 forum. This one has been pretty much abandoned once people started to have Dom3s.
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

Hi! I had the same troubles: ATI Graphics, Suse 10.1, Laptop.

The problem seems to be that Domininons uses the MESA libraries, even if the ATI binary driver is installed.

The solution is to bend a link and then Dom2 will be fast. However, this does not work with Dom3 for me , it just makes Dom2 go real fast only (even in a DualHeaded configuration). More information can be found at the end of this thread: Post#455756

The problem is probably ATI/SUSE specific, since I recall that a similar problem existed generally for ATI under SUSE9.3, where the links had to be set manually. Furthermore, I do believe that installing updates generally causes troubles with ATI under Suse:
Go to Yast->Software->SoftwareManagement and search for fglrx.

If you have downloaded and installed the lasted driver, you will see a package like
"fglrx_6_9_0_SUSE101". In this case you should alter the links as described at the end of the above linked post.

Alternatively you should see "x11-video-fglrx" and "ati-fglrx-kmp-default". Using those instead of the above mentioned package should make things work right away, however they use an older binary ATI driver (8.26 instead of 8.29 for me), which may cause troubles elsewhere (TV-Out or DualHead).

Also keep in mind that running YastOnlineUpdate might require you to reinstall the binary driver again. You can add the following YAST software installation source http://www2.ati.com/suse to obtain the above named packages automatically.

Sent me a PM if you need more advice to get Dom2 running under ATI/SUSE10.1.

AND PLEASE sent me a PM if you are able to get Dom3 running under ATI/SUSE10.1!!!!

NOTE:
I also run Suse10.1 on an 6 year old Desktop with an old Nvidia GeForce1. Installing the NVIDIA driver is automatic and Dom2 and Dom3 run fast right away, so it seems that ATI should take the blame here, not Illwinter nor SUSE!
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Private

Jamie is on a distinguished road

Thats the one, sorted now -- apologies for not finding it the first time. Very distro specific it appears...

I wish I could help with dom3, but I'm losing quite enough time as it is...