.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM

Private

Managarm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What nation(s) are best for fire? (Besides Aby

Sorry, but I forgot to say that Flaming Weapons also adds the chance to set the defender on fire, giving an extra punch of excruciating pain...

A unit on fire takes 1-2 points of AP damage per turn until fire extinguishes, and it takes longer to go out in warm dominions.

We shall fight for our domains
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
MaxWilson said:
None of these nations has fire immunity like Abysia does, so friendly fire becomes more of an issue. I imagine Flame Eruption for Abysia is a real hoot, but I've never tried it yet (still learning the game).

-Max
The destructive potential of flame eruption is huge, but it's risky and not very easy to pull off (In my experience at least) as you need to get your mages very close to the frontline, where the survival rate is noticeably lower than safely at the back.

I've tried it a couple of times in important battles, and it has won me the battle on occasion, but never without loosing at least some of my mages, while another time I just got all my mages killed, exept for those who ended up in a bad position where all they did was cast a fireball anywhere.

So to sum it up it's a potentially powerful tactic, but you'd best script everything carefully, and expect losses, so only try it if it's really worth it. (or if one of your mages has upset you of course. )
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM

Private

Managarm is on a distinguished road

Astral path seems a good candidate to Marignon since their initial sites add +4 Fire gems and +1 Astral gem per turn, and it is very good in the long run.

A high Astral rating also unlocks their mighty National Summons, although some Arcane Probing (Evo 2)/site searching should be done beforehand due to the high number of gems required per summon.

We shall fight for our domains
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

Another advantage of Fire compared to Blood for Marignon:

Knight of Chalice
Hoof is 'strength not added' weapon.
Lance is 'strength not added' weapon.

These weapons won't benefit from extra strength, but Flaming Weapons will most likely still work.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Flaming hooves! Good point, I wouldn't have thought of that.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM

Sergeant

OmikronWarrior is on a distinguished road

I actually just played a single player game as MA Marigon. I used an imprisoned Baphomat(?) with enough fire and astral magic to get the high blesses from each. I'm still quite new at this game (haven't done multiplayer yet), but I still have a few observations.

1)Flaggalents are difficult to use and are VERY vulnerable to arrow fire. If they get hit, chances are they get wounded if not killed outright. Yes, they are cheap and can be ammassed quickly with high domain and seemed to have good morale, but they are still pretty much fodder even with Twist Fate.

2)Knights of the Chalice are excellent. I was never able to build more then four a turn due to resource limitations and had problems getting from my capital to the front, but I annihilated an army of around 800 miscellaneous Mictlan warriors with about 40 of these mixed in with Mari's other heavy cavalary unit (blessed of course).

3) The Angel of Vegeance (national summon spell Heavenly wrath, I think) seems ideal for a thug. It comes with Fear and Blood Vegeance and can't command any units anyways. With no basic armor though I had to equip it before I could use it to try to rout enemies. I thinks its sacred as well. Any advice on how to make a thug out of this unit would be appreciated.

4) Maybe the Best priests in the game. Beyond High Inquistors which are level 3 with double priest level when preaching to reduce enemy domain and can be built at any fort, most of the angelic summons have priest levels as well, with the Seraph is a Level 4 priest in addition to its formiddible magic (I want to say four of air, fire, and astral). Bottom line is you'll always have somebody to cast Divine Blessings.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the observations. I wonder if this is one of those rare situations where an Air bless would be worth the points (for Flagellants). Probably not without some synergies with Air magic.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Just a 40% air shield (which is cheap) means roughly that at least 40% of the flagellants will join close combat. It is worth it in my eyes. An air shield of 80% too much, those points can be used on another bless instead, one that makes those 40% that survives the arrows do some damage.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDisAwesome is on a distinguished road

I just can't see an air bless worth taking past 6 if at all. It'd be alright for a lot of nations, but it always seems like the points would be better spent somewhere else.

Or you could always just try to scout out enemy armies before they get to you, then decide whether or not to send the flagellants in. maybe do a little scripting magic to try and not get targeted by arrow fire immediatly.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:24 PM

Sergeant

OmikronWarrior is on a distinguished road

Maybe an Air Bless is a better solution then Twist Fate (though that provides some protection for melee), but at the end of the day I think Flaggies need some kind of offensive Bless to really be worth it.

Another possibility that occurs to me is higher income and Dominion Scales, thus making a lot more of them combined with at least some bless. Like I said, when Blessed these guys rarely broke from the battle despite taking heavy damage and casualties from misile fire. So, I'm thinking maybe build enough of them to simply overwhelm enemy defensives. However, you should be thinking in the back of your head about Knights of the Chalice. They are Sacred and can be blessed as well, and in doing so become quite formidible. I should go look up some of the stats from that game.