.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 20th, 2009, 04:04 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Acashic records vs. separate spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
Must confess to being a fan of getting a mage out searching very early on. As long as he's got two paths on him he gets booted out the door. Sooner you find the sites, the sooner you profit from them. (Cue Max Wilson and one of his South Park Gnomes analogies ).
Can you elaborate? I've never watched South Park and I'm trying hard but failing to think of how gnomes relate to gem investment. Maybe there's another Max Wilson...?

-Max
Max, if you have never seen that episode of South Park (kindly provided by Omnirizon ) then I can only conclude that....

1. You are actually an underpants gnome, so are just acting on your instincts.
2. You are not an underpants gnome, but should consider a career in comedy writing.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
Hehe, aint nothing sweeter than a weak neighbor with gem income climbing from an obvious rainbow pretender searching.
Hey, get your damn hands off my new gem pile you big bully!
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:17 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

It's a tough choice when you see a rainbow pretender walking around early in the game.. do you go for the kill or let him search for a bit longer first?

For the main topic, I hadn't notice the cost drop in CBM 1.5, very interesting. It is still a pretty niche use though, worthwhile occasionally but generally not. Excluding conjuration bonus sites, I'd say the main driver to use it would have to be good astral income combined with other strong reasons to charge up the conjuration path before getting level 2 in thaum and evoc.

Certainly I'd say the main reason to use AR would be diversification, in particular if your nation is very limited in path selection and you aren't using your pretender to diversify.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
It's a tough choice when you see a rainbow pretender walking around early in the game.. do you go for the kill or let him search for a bit longer first?
I prefer to snipe them with some well-aimed Seeking Arrows while they are in a low-dom province, alone, site searching.

Since seeking arrow is nameless, it can cause quite a uproar on the diplomacy front .

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
Quote:
Must confess to being a fan of getting a mage out searching very early on. As long as he's got two paths on him he gets booted out the door. Sooner you find the sites, the sooner you profit from them. (Cue Max Wilson and one of his South Park Gnomes analogies ).
Can you elaborate? I've never watched South Park and I'm trying hard but failing to think of how gnomes relate to gem investment. Maybe there's another Max Wilson...?

-Max
Max, if you have never seen that episode of South Park (kindly provided by Omnirizon ) then I can only conclude that....

1. You are actually an underpants gnome, so are just acting on your instincts.
2. You are not an underpants gnome, but should consider a career in comedy writing.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
Hehe, aint nothing sweeter than a weak neighbor with gem income climbing from an obvious rainbow pretender searching.
Hey, get your damn hands off my new gem pile you big bully!
Hey! I don't take kindly to your kind 'round here. Neither does Max.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

If your weak rainbow pretender is out alone when decent assassination spells can start flying, you can have few complaints if it gets killed.

I don't like acashic record for the most part because of the gem cost. Astral gems are incredibly useful, and I'm uncomfortable spending 25 that could be going to so many useful other ends, but I guess if you've got a wasteland or other likely province apparently gemless, go for it.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

My personal preference is to site search every province with every path I have access to via remote searching spells. I only do manual site searching if I need to bootstrap into that gem type, or I have good mages.

If I have good (3+ path) site searching mages, I'll send out a few to look around for sites. Even after doing that, I'll still site search those provinces with remote searching rituals to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Right now in Legends of Faerun I think my method speaks for itself. I sent out mages to search at the very beginning so that I could build up my gem stores, and now I've switched over to automatic site searching which covers every path of gem besides blood.

In Lapis, however, the 500 GP Tomb Kings are such amazing site searchers (ASEFD paths, high death and fire), that I haven't bothered to do ANY non-manual site searching, and I'm easily leading the charts in gem income there.

Jazzepi
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirizon View Post
its simple you see.

1. collect gems
2. ???
3. profit
Oh. I had no idea that old joke originated on South Park. I can't remember where I picked it up, probably from one of my labmates in school.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

I rarely use manual searching, normally i use all remote searching spells i have in a province and only use AR if, after the remote searching, the province has less than 2 sites found...
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:10 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Manually site searching depends on the mage. As a general rule, I'd suggest any mage with 6 magic levels total (not including blood or holy) would make a decent manual site searcher. Ideally those six or more would concentrate in two paths (e.g. x3+y3+) as you only risk missing extremely rare level 4 sites in those two paths, they should take about the same amount of mage time, and save plenty of gems. A bigger spread like w2x2y1z1 will miss quite a few sites so that you'll need to go back and check with spells later anyway, but generally will quickly get incomes flowing if you want them early. Quite often, you might want to send out mages with just 1 in a path just because you can't cast some site search spells.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

If you have diversified magic, Arco's mystics, Bakemono sorcerer or TC's imperial alchem. for eg, than you manually site search from the start.
After that you take those provinces that are still empty and remote site search.