.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old June 17th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default NEW SemiRand project! EVENTS

We now have (4?) different Game Master mods that I know of.
Watcher, DungeonMaster, Debug, Pantokrator.

The original concept of the Watcher mod was to create an unobtrusive member of the game that could act in ways to allow for more events, and better AARs. Id like to see more games creatively using the mods. Something I thought might help would be a SemiRand for events. This would be beneficial for larger games since it would not be limited to the 4-events rules.

1) cast spell on random-province-number (allows for attacks on provinces, attacks on individuals, seemingly natural events, etc)

2) send xxxxxx item to random-nation

3) send xxxx gold to random-nation

4) send xx gems/slaves to random-nation

5) send xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx message to random-nation

Just listing all of the spells that can be cast on a far location would be a good start. And the various gifts. Then we can ask for creative additions with better text or creative uses. Such as "The Tower of Nexus has offered to cast xxxxxxxxx on a nation of your choice if you send them xxxxxx"

It will just generate suggestions each time its run so the DM in the game has something to work with other than their own good or evil tendencies. Originally I was thinking that there might need to be a "level" setting for each one but now Im thinking its already handled. The various DM's of the mods dont start out being able to cast everything. They have to research. So if it says to cast some major spell early in the game it wont really be an option so it can be ignored. As the game progresses, the major spells will become usable naturally over the course of the game.

Im also thinking that the program can use chk or score files that the game creates in order to know the turn number. Using that as part of a formula might be nice. Such as "Send 10xTurn Blood Slaves to Abyssia" or "100xTurn gold"

Gandalf Parker
--
feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

I have done what I could, those who can will do better.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; June 17th, 2010 at 05:24 PM..
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NEW SemiRand project! EVENTS

New thought.
We can use scales also. To do a certain thing based on whether or not a particular province has specific scales, or population, or terrain. Maybe even poptype and units. "The xxxx see that there are xxxxx in province xxx which offends them. Move them NOW or face the consequences."