.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 13th, 2013, 04:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Confused Golden Talon Campaign

Hi folks. Just tried the Golden Talon campaign a second time, and still can't get past the second battle. The designer claims it's easy so I'm beginning to feel inadequate .

It took me 6 (of 12, supposedly) turns to cross the stream--off-road movement is at most 2 hexes for leg units--and then the scenario ended after turn 11, with a score of something like 850 to 560. Might've had a marginal with the full 12 turns, since my tanks were within striking distance of 3 VH's worth about 150 points . In any case a decisive win was out of the question; the last, most valuable VH is about 22 hexes from the starting line.

Not that I'm complaining. It was fun anyway, but sure would be nice to play the whole campaign.

Addenda: Here (I hope) are some early saves from the belatedly successful (as per the double post below) second battle of the campaign. Hope you can open them if you're interested, since this Windows 10 format doesn't "feel" quite right. Anyway FWIW:
Attached Files
File Type: rar Golden Talon Setup.rar (47.8 KB, 193 views)
File Type: rar Golden Talon T3.rar (72.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: rar Golden Talon T6.rar (63.2 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by jivemi; June 4th, 2017 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: correction
Old June 4th, 2017, 02:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Golden Talon Campaign

Belay my last. Finally got past the second battle after restarting the campaign from scratch.

--Spoiler Alert--

THIS time lots more support points were spent on artillery instead of tanks (had only 3 Shermans this time; IIRC had 9 or something the last go). Also loaded most of 3 rifle platoons on trucks and tanks at setup to speed things up. Took meticulous care on the pre-battle barrage and after, having most enemy units suppressed on discovery. Just missed taking the last objective at the end (turn 12).

It was no cakewalk though. Lost one Sherman to a clevery sited Pak 75 across the stream when the building the tank was "hiding" behind was on the lower part of a bluff so it didn't block LOS. Most objectives were cheap-charlies at only 10 to 40 points, with just a couple at 100. Plenty of low-budget German units--my guys were at full encyclopedia price while theirs were about one-third cost (9-man panzer grenadier squads at 6 points, 80mm mortar sections at 8 for example)--to bog down an already sluggish advance further impeded by mortar barrages. And the designer says the NEXT battle is the tough one. Sheesh.

Wish me luck folks. I'll sure need it!

Last edited by jivemi; June 4th, 2017 at 02:49 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old June 4th, 2017, 05:05 PM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I think some of the earlier scenarios and campaigns were made for older versions that had some different mechanics.
Old June 4th, 2017, 06:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
Sometimes I think some of the earlier scenarios and campaigns were made for older versions that had some different mechanics.
They were also made using a different price structure and that may be a factor.....maybe but unit speeds etc won't differ all that much if at all.....price however could

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 4th, 2017, 08:05 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Terrain costs also differ - e.g fields now cost another MP, and trees cost more for vehicles since s few versions back.
Old June 4th, 2017, 10:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

There was only one field which affected a single platoon, while trucks and tanks plied mainly along the roads. Given winter movement restrictions though the scenario could've used an extra turn or two.