.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

Well, this is more of a farewell than a hello I'm afraid as I've already played out most of my interest in Dominions 3. First and foremost I enjoy getting a given game to run on obscure hardware and OS although Dominions 3 ran as though it had been developed under Linux I followed that 2 minutes of thrill by ~6 months of SP games, jumped into MP briefly (still prefer SP), and then explored modding a little although I was pretty disappointed there.

All in all, I still think Dominions 3 is one of the greatest games I have ever played. It could be the greatest geek game ever if it was open sourced and could get a little more developer attention (I'd be at the front of the line). In the future I will be spending more of my gaming time on open source games (playing and developing), where I can make the changes I want and play the game I want to play. Cost of the game has nothing to do with it.

Oh, about me: I'm a former *nix admin/developer turned farmer. I live in midwest USA, have a beautiful 18 month old daughter, and ... well that's the interesting bits.

Cheers!
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg View Post
In the future I will be spending more of my gaming time on open source games (playing and developing), where I can make the changes I want and play the game I want to play. Cost of the game has nothing to do with it.
It's a pity Dominions didn't support the things you wanted to do. If you do find a TBS strategy game that suits your needs, feel free to post about it here.
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:46 PM

Private

getter77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg View Post
In the future I will be spending more of my gaming time on open source games (playing and developing), where I can make the changes I want and play the game I want to play. Cost of the game has nothing to do with it.
It's a pity Dominions didn't support the things you wanted to do. If you do find a TBS strategy game that suits your needs, feel free to post about it here.
Only other one I could think of off the top of my head would be something like Battle for Wesnoth that just hit a big milestone release of 1.6. Who knows, perhaps with future patches and modding, especially since I remember reading somewhere about more mod powers coming down the line over time with future patches, he'll be able to venture back and find that all's well.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
Only other one I could think of off the top of my head would be something like Battle for Wesnoth that just hit a big milestone release of 1.6. Who knows, perhaps with future patches and modding, especially since I remember reading somewhere about more mod powers coming down the line over time with future patches, he'll be able to venture back and find that all's well.
Personally, I'm a bit skeptic about that. Modding has already been expanded a lot, and Peg hit all the new limits as soon as he started, and he managed to find things experienced modders didn't know in a very short time. If he finds an open-source project to participate in, he'll be able to do much more than he could with Dominions, regardless of what will be added.
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Corporal

melnorjr is on a distinguished road

Greetings, all. I've been playing dom3 for awhile now, but never done any multiplayer games(except with my brother) or participated here before. I've honestly spent more time modding than actually playing (some for my brother, some for me). I don't really think I'm terribly good(as a player), mainly because my brother usually beats me unless I'm using a mod of mine that is overpowered because it hasn't been balanced yet.

details about me? I'm male, 21(22 in about a week), an English major at UALR in Arkansas, currently writing a book(fantasy) and working on a rather big mod for dom3. Most people define me as a goth. I don't, though I don't object to it either. I'm very much into music - I sing, play, and am usually listening to something. Lets see...I also have autistic spectrum disorder; I used to be ashamed of it and never tell anybody, but now I don't care. Dom3 is interesting for me because its purely strategy, which is more difficult for me than say...WoW where I can learn a few basic things, then just focus and be pointlessly good. I'm also a runner (started 2 or 3 months ago) - 15+ miles a week. working it up at the moment, recently broke 7 minute mile(yay!). I have an incredibly ability to pick the stronger races/classes/whatever when I first play a game. My first game was LA ermor, and when I got tired of owning the computer in LA, I decided to play a different era, and picked EA Neifleheim with a nature/earth bless to play against my brother's Sauromatia (I actually won that game. He tried to counter me with heavy cavalry and leprosy. I'm not sure why he tried that, cause he knows better).

Me and my brother a while back decided to make our own rules/creatures for the tabletop game Warhammer, so I started inventing the world it would take place in. I brainstormed different races I could use that would have armies for this tabletop game, and after a while I decided to build the lore to it. Well, I ended up really liking this world, so I decided to write a book that takes place in it, and at the moment, I am also making a dom3 mod of it. That is my major project here at the moment. I finally registered here because I just got into sprite modding yesterday and made a few I was hoping for advice on (putting in appropriate thread).
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnorjr View Post
I've honestly spent more time modding than actually playing.
Welcome! I hope we'll learn more details about these mods.
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Corporal

melnorjr is on a distinguished road

Eventually I will probably do something with them. At the moment I'm rebalancing about 7 nations against one another and struggling with the magic being too strong. I'm not sure what to do with it. me and my brother have played a bit, and it tend toward it being really easy to smash people if you stick enough mages in your army. I've one nation that has summonables that can cast banefire, so i played as them, expanded in the beginning, then set my recruitable blood mages to blood hunt, 3 per province in about 5 or 6 provinces with zero taxes, then spam-summoned those banefire casting mages...and attacked his army with 86 of them and a screen of arrow-fodder and my recuirable mages casting blood burst. it took me a long time to get that many, but press fast forward and I had a banefire machine gun. Now, he could have stopped me by attacking sooner - he was letting me test out my nation - but that was silly. I am however, going to increase the cost of those guys. by a lot. At the moment I'm taking a break from gardening - am planting some roses. I have to admit though...if you tried to play like I did in an MP game, you would be killed too fast. I was pretty weak early on.
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

once you have your mod reasonably playable I'm sure people will be happy to playtest it and give their advice.
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Private

Demantiae is on a distinguished road

Hello all! I've been a long time lurker here and short time poster A little bit about me, I'm almost 30, I live in the UK and I'm self-employed - nothing too interesting but it pay the bills. I used to be a big RPer when I was younger, graduating to PBeM when it became increasingly difficult for PnP games. I actually prefer email/forum RPing as I love to write. I maybe could have been a writter in another incarnation but in this one I'm too unfocussed for anything other gaming. I can't live without music and movies and I'm always listening to or watching something. My tastes are incredibly diverse in both.

I've yet to try my hand at MP in Dominions. I'm not sure how quickly those games progress (tbh I don't know that much about the MP side of things). I still don't feel I know enough of the game to take anybody but noobs at MP. I've played a rook of SP games and still know hardly anything of the game! I struggle to get past mid-game usually as I get distracted by starting another game with another nation Too many variations to try and not enough time to do it all! I love generating random maps and seeing how that affects my progress - a couple random magic sites or terrain placements can affect your game massively. I love it!

Anyways, just wanted to say hello
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:25 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the community. As far as pacing goes, it can depend on the game. Most go 24 hr turns for the first 20-30, but occasionally someone makes one that goes faster or slower. And don't worry about lack of XP, it can soon be remedied.