tombell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: winSPMBT and WinSPWW2 and VISTA

Any luck yet DRG?
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Nope, without info from Vista users it's pretty hard to get an handle on it as I have said neither Andy nor I have a Vista Machine and even if we did get one there is no telling what problems we may or may not encounter

However......

I have been told that there is a way to set up programs in Vista to..." set affinity to "Windows XP mode"" for older games and to "Set affinity to "Single core processor"" if you have a dual-core processor.

Here's what I found on on Dual-Core and Multiprocessor Systems and I assume the process is much the same for setting up "Windows XP mode"

Quote:

Monitoring and optimising applications on dual-core, quad-core, and multiple-processor systems

Windows XP and Windows Vista set running processes to run on all of the available processors by default. In Windows XP and Windows Vista, which both support dual-core, quad-core, and multiple-processor systems, you can set which of the processors runs a particular program or application. This is known as setting the processor affinity. However, note well that you should not use any third-party utility to set the processor affinity for operating system files, because doing so could cause system instability, system crashes, and data or system loss.

Here is how you set the processor affinity for Windows Explorer:

Press the Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination to bring up the Windows Task Manager. Open the Processes tab with the mouse pointer. Windows Explorer is explorer.exe. Right-click on explorer.exe under Processes, and choose Set Affinity. This brings up the Processor Affinity window, which has boxes for 32 processors (CPU0 to CPU31). In a dual-core system, which uses two processors, the two processors are called CPU0 and CPU1. They are both enabled by default, which is the best setting for Windows Explorer, but, because explorer.exe is a Windows program, not a system file, you could choose to have just one of the processors running it by removing one of the enabling check marks to disable that processor from running it. You can assign a processor to run any of the processes (programs and applications) listed under Processes.

Monitoring and Optimizing Apps on Dual-Core and Multiprocessor Systems -

http://www.awprofessional.com/articl...&seqNum=2&rl=1

Maybe this will help....maybe not. I assume you are using the DL version of the game ? The alternative is to buy the CD and use the game in Windowed mode at the higher resolution settings

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Private

tombell is on a distinguished road

This didn't work.
I did manage to increase the screen size in the game data file to 1600, and that made the difference. It now works well there.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM

Private

Panzerpionier is on a distinguished road

how can one do that ?

or alternately how can i change my windows size ?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Here's a post from a thread on the MBT forum that may be of interest to anyone with the full screen problem with Vista

Don

Quote:

Re: Screen Resolution Issue [Re: DRG]
#575412 - 01/12/08 04:23 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

OK, I think I found how to fix this problem in VISTA. Using VISTA "Display Setting," 'change the "Colors" drop down from "high (32 bit)" to "Medium (16 bit)." I have not had a problem since.

When completing the game and you really need the 'high,' go back and change, accordingly.

Hope this helps.
Totenkopf

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM

Private

ephrom is on a distinguished road

Same graphics problem with AMD 3870. 16 bit color solves the problem. No other problems.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
ephrom said:
Same graphics problem with AMD 3870. 16 bit color solves the problem. No other problems.

Does that apply to both windowed and fullscreen mode ?

Don

Old March 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Private

ephrom is on a distinguished road

Full screen and windowed both good with 16 bit. Windowed was ok with 32 bit, but the intro would often hang. Running ultimate sp1.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK, interesting. We have had other reports of the intro hanging up the game once SP1 was patched to Vista as well. I'm glad this fix works for you. Hopefully as we get more reports like this we can narrow the problem down

Don

Old April 10th, 2008, 01:57 AM

Private

Crusher_Bob is on a distinguished road

Have a new (Vista related?) bug. When playing in full screen mode, viewing the map seems to hang the game.

Was preparing for a battle, clicked on 'human deployment', map screen comes up, game stops responding.

Tried both DirectX and GDI graphics mode, same outcome. Have not tried the various compatability modes yet. Still works fine in windowed mode.