.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 9th, 2010, 03:13 AM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Starcraft II and Elemental

Eador's author had an agreement, I think with Snowball/1C (big Russian localization company) and they were going to translate it. But there were no updates on translation status after that. Probably they think it won't give them enough to cover the expenses, I don't know. Actually the author said there was a group of people who tried to make fan-translation, but after professional guys from Snowball looked into their 2-month work they said that it's "crappy English" and discarded it.
So, some time ago I was thinking what can be done as the game really deserves to be known outside Russia, and on ag.ru forums we thought it could be possible to finish that crappy translation and give it to some native speaker so he can polish it in communication with original translators. So, if anyone here can help in that, I think we can contact the author about existing materials and see if they can be polished this way.
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

I'll add some numbers here to show the amount of work needed. The game contains text in 2 formats, .txt files that contain mostly text and .var files that contain game data in text format. Now, all the txt files are about 400K and the var files are 2.6M. For txt files, the amount to translate equals total size; for var files it's less, but there are 2 files dialog.var and campaign_dialog.var that contain mostly text and are 950K together. So the total amount to translate is around 1.5-2Mb, closer to 2.
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

I'd be willing to help if it is in basic enough form to clean up. I think I taught Zeldor English while playing Dominions!
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaz View Post
I'll add some numbers here to show the amount of work needed. The game contains text in 2 formats, .txt files that contain mostly text and .var files that contain game data in text format. Now, all the txt files are about 400K and the var files are 2.6M. For txt files, the amount to translate equals total size; for var files it's less, but there are 2 files dialog.var and campaign_dialog.var that contain mostly text and are 950K together. So the total amount to translate is around 1.5-2Mb, closer to 2.
For reference, according to this site that amounts to about 750-1000 pages.

To put that in context, Wiki Answers says that Tolkein's Lord of the Rings trilogy is 1008 pages.
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix