.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 10th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default New Map & problems I need help with

I just gave map making a try.

I DL-ed GIMP (no prior exp. though) and created a map.
In the process of making this map I DL some map from some game and converted that to TGA and opened it in the editor and that went well. So I spend.. well HOURS on this map. Then I added the white dots and red lines I read about somewhere

So it looks.. well a bit noobish but about the way I wanted it and I would like to try a bit of whatever I should do with the map editor and it WILL NOT load it (seems to crash actually)

Since I only got the game recently and I couldn't find more info I thought I'd ask.

I'd be happy to send my file (either TGA, RGB, SGI (both compressed and uncompressed) or the original layerd xcf file) to someone to have a look at it. The files are about 8-9 MB ... or 26 mb uncompressed.

And how do I attach a pic of my map (I'm convinced if pplz see it they'll be more likely to help.. it really rocks.. in a nubish kinda way) in this thread. noway to host it as of yet though --> Ok I attached it but it doesn't show it in the tread..

so plz help me.

Aezeal

[image]http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/download.php?Number=548920[/image]

does this work then (link to attachment)?
Attached Images
File Type: gif 548920-Aezeals Map mini.gif (166.8 KB, 137 views)
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Map & problems I need help with

I cant help you, I am also very new to map editing. But I really like the design. Hope this gets fixed.

I am sure alot of people around here know the answers, they will be around shortly...
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Yes I can see it. Very interesting.

Now make sure that there is no pure white being used in the map. I think GIMP has a replacement tool that will let you replace all of the 255,255,255 with 250,250,250 or something like that.

The reason you do that is that the game uses pure white to mark the base of the flags that appear in the game. Its how it sees provinces. So now go back and put ONE pure white pixel into the middle of each province (dont worry, it wont show up in the game)

After that you can take it into the Dom3 map editor and assign the neighbors
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Ah yes, now it loaded my map after like 10 min and I see a zillion flags in the lower right edge of the map.. but I see no white there atm.. and if I change ALL the white.. then it will change my pixels too right.. that would be annoying
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road

I havent looked at your map, but it sounds like there is a sliver of white on one of the borders. I'm also new to map making, but have had problems with importing maps made in other programs to gimp. This white border problem happens a lot. If you zoom way in (in gimp), you can use the paint bucket to remove just those white pixels. If that is the problem.
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road

by the way, just looked at the map and it looks very pretty from a quick view. It seems like this multilevel thing is a neat idea that I've seen done a couple of times. (world tree was a previous one).

It's actually pretty interesting to me that there are not more custom maps on these forums. Many people have done mods, which seem harder to me (I imagine..)
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Lieutenant General

ok now it works.. now I have one more question.. how do you remove a neighbour (wrong click) with out having to redo everything.. I'm 100% sure I'll not succeed 330 provs w/o any error.. and I can't seem to delete a wrong neighbourship.

(the auto thingie went completely worng about every prov in a 2-3 prov radius was flagged.. but I'll do it by hand.. IF I know how to remove the errors I make)

OK CTRL missed that somehow (I hate manuals, but I admit I should read the manual and forums and everything a bit better before I ask here..) Still a thing like I ask about in my next post WOULD be nice
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Lieutenant General

Is there a tool that connects neighbours automatically and let's you edit provinces more easily?

If so please let me know ASAP
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

In the editor you can Ctrl-Click (if I remember right).
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:53 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Aezeal said:
[image]http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/download.php?Number=548920[/image]

does this work then (link to attachment)?
Yes, it works, if you use the real address:
http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...Map%20mini.gif

Kinda reminds me of the Miirunst map. Are those two related?
Emergency comic relief