.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 16th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hilarity ensues post victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
Tried opening the files in the first post, but get a message saying that I need the "CBscales_1.21" mod. Anyone know where I can get this from? As the link in the first post is for CB mods version 1.3, and none of them are getting accepted.

Tried searching the mod forum for CB v1.21, but can only find the most recent one.

Hmmm that's odd. I have 1.3 installed and everything is peachy. Pretty sure you need the "component" version, not the all in one mod, as only the pretenders+scales are used for this game.
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:22 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

I thought it was odd too, but still having no luck. Here are the list of CB mods I have. All are v1.3

CB Complete
CB Pretenders
CB Items
CB Nations
CB Scales
CB Spells

Have tried opening the game with no mods enabled, and with the Pretenders, Scales, and WH 1.8 mod enabled, as it says in the first post. (Although my understanding is that when you 'Play an Existing Game', any mods needed (or not needed) are automatically enabled / disabled as required)
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:28 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Ok, this can't be right. Just renamed the files 'CBgods_1.3.dm' and 'CBscales_1.3dm' to 'CBgods_1.21.dm' and 'CBscales_1.21dm' respectively, and it now works perfectly.

My head tells me that that shouldn't really have worked.
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
Watch again, my units rout eventually. My god retreated south of where the battle took place.
I didn't notice it. No problem then.

Quote:
As for the slots, I do beleive it gets two misc slots. Also, the point is really more to reward the vastness for the good job it did. Besides, a mage who, for free, can be in any battle you need him to be in isn't bad at all. I wouldn't use it as a thug, but with a crystal coin and amulet of antimagic you have a really durable astral 4 mage.
Once again, Vastness is (if memory serves) the only creature in the game with no slots at all.
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Corporal

Aapeli is on a distinguished road

This battle showed me I still have a lot to learn in battle tacktics (and I clearly dont know all the units yet)...
Im not sure if this is relevant for I didnt count the turns the battle took but shouldn all battles just sort of end on turn 75? Im not sure what happens but I remember something like that was in the book.
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. What weirdness is supposed to happen in the battle?
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

I don't think AreaOfEffect meant any bug by "weirdness". It's just funny for side watchers and sad for him)
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

Whatever happened sounds interesting - how about a quick AAR for those of us who don't want to, or don't know how to, or just plain old can't, download all the required bits and pieces?

If it's a hassle, no worries, I just wanna know what's going on
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road

The Narrative:

So, I was minding my own business, which was the annihilation of Pangaea, when the big bad mind sucking monsters from the deep decided to feast on my brains. After one defeat and the loss of Pangaea's capitol, I retreated to a nearby fortification. The turn file in question contains my attempt to defend this castle by breaking the siege.

The battle begins with Ry'leh's first volley of neither darts hitting my slave chaff. Poor bastards never knew that was what I intended them to do. There was also a few scattered enslave mind attempts to break up my ranks. Then comes the llithid mind blasting. Somehow the freaks knew to target my noble Couatl who was ordered to cast antimagic. (Stupid fire large monsters command.) The monster horde then waits for my advance.

My mages begin their defensive buffs. Air shield and Life after Death (casted by my god) are the most important buffs in this battle. My men advance, except for the slaves who naturaly try to retreat.

Again volley after volley of that ridiculous neither dart spam. Luckily the air shield is fending off most of the damage, not the enfeeblement though. My communion returns with astral geysers and steller cascades. My fire mage casts flaming arrows and my slingers start to do their part. Still my moon warriors and jaguar warriors march forward. Finally they crash into the wall of meteorite guards. A bloody melee ensues.

As the rounds wear away my front line starts to fail, except for the upper flank which is still being held strong by the Jaguar warriors. As the filthy meteorite meatbags start to advance on my slingers, they soon realize that they are not so soft and squishy. Then the most amazing thing happens. The llithids advance. Apparently their mind blasting powers are spent. The tide turns and the skelly spam my god produces becomes just enough to cause the enemy to rout. Victory!

But wait, what is this, a large jellyfish has yet to leave the field. My mages apparently paralyzed it. With great glee my men rush to kill it. "Man this is going to look great on my wall." They strike and each one immediately becomes an exploding red mist before they land their blow. Wave after wave of slingers, jaguars, souless, and other undead hordes vanish before the beasts presence. My god doesn't know what to do and just keeps raising more undead.

If that wasn't enough, just as the thing is about to be freed and fly away, my mages get it in their head that the best thing to do is to paralyze it... again. I'm glad they died from failed mind burn attempts. Eventually everyone decides to give up and leave. Ry'leh gets to hold my castle gate and my god gets to walk all the way back home.

Honestly, I wish I could just tell them to forget killing the thing, dedicate a couple of mages to paralyzing the monstrosity, and pretend it's a statue of our victory.

The End.

(If you are wondering, the jellyfish is a vastness. It has an ability called blood vengeance. Any unit attempting to deal damage to the vastness must succeed an MR check +2. If they fail, they take the damage instead. My souless hordes of skelly spam have an MR of 5 and it regenerates. Hilarity ensues.)
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations

Last edited by AreaOfEffect; August 16th, 2008 at 05:06 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AreaOfEffect For This Useful Post:
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Aha in my replay r'lyeh never routed, so it looked pretty ordinary Guess I need to get the CBmod 1.21 and not a renamed 1.3 to get it work properly.