.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: You can't complain that this game is costly

Considering the amount of time that I get enjoyment out of this game, I feel that this game is fairly priced. If you are so poor that 50 bucks is too much to spend, go recycle some tin cans, or take up a collection...

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Sergeant

Beorne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifone View Post
C'mon man, you know that indie developers have different businness models than the big companies ^^

And about free games, oh c'mon. ^^ Even if a free game gives you 1 out of a scale of maximum 10000 of fun factor, of course it's great compared to anything that costs money, becauses you didn't spend a penny for that. ^^ To me Dom3 is great value for money. I liked Age of Wonders very much, but there is no comparison with Dom3 to me
If you play Nethack, Adom, Freeciv or Wesnoth ... their value is very much higher than 1.
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:03 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Executor you might want to edit your post because Shrapnel people are probably going to roll into this thread sooner or later and they won't react well to certain things you said.
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
But in the case of dom3 I feel there are plenty better, cheaper games. These I would advise people on a budget to buy before Dom3. In fact I would never EVER advise someone looking for real value for money to buy dom3. It's just too expensive.
I agree to a point. I wouldn't tell anyone to buy Dominions 3 unless they really enjoyed the game, but I expect that at that point they probably would have decided to buy it any way. If they were wary of the price, I'd tell them to wait for a holiday sale.

I'm not sure I would recommend Dom3 to someone who was uncertain after trying the demo.

Last edited by Endoperez; September 14th, 2008 at 01:48 PM..
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Heehee. I guess that comparing it to a free game would make it costly.

But since I, and my friends, are all likely to pay that much for many of our games I was comparing it with those. I wouldnt ask Illwinter to release it for free. Well.. maybe Dom 1. And since they have recently released their first game (Conquest of Ellysium) for free download maybe that will follow.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; September 14th, 2008 at 03:06 PM..
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Well I suggested the game with no problem. I said it's pricey. I said "try the demo and have your opinion, I don't regret any single € i spent on it". And I am NOT definitively a millionaire - the most of my games, I take with magazines at 5 €, and they are great games sure, but if once i am willing to spend some money on a game I appreciate, Dom3 is my choice, and it was my best choice so far ^_^

Oh damn, I'm turning into a frigging fanboy XD

PS my sister is 17 and works in free time in a ice cream shop. If she would, she could buy the game in 2 part-time days of work... giving ice cream. I mean, I know we all work or study and 40€ aren't surely a few, but for the many hours of fun you can get from this game, you can buy a less pricey pair of jeans or shoes once, try your first work if you're young (even washing the car and cleaning your room could do the job for mom and dad XD ). It doesn't seem to me the cost opportunity of this fun is so high.

PPS if you're asking what I did, I didn't go to the disco /one/ night. My 40€ saved for the game ^^

Peace

Last edited by Tifone; September 14th, 2008 at 05:06 PM..
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Dominions has actually been a money saver for me. I have not purchased another game until Spore came out a few days ago. Dominions will stay on my PC and I can already tell Spore's days are numbered.

They both cost roughly the same. But it is fairly obvious which one is going to be the better value for me in the long run.
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Well I've played AoW and time in dominions is going far over 20x what I played that with modding etc etc I can't imagine you spend as much time on AoW as you are doing on Dom 3 Sombre but if you say so..

Sure free games screw up the formula but considering my income you'd need to take installing the game in to the equation so that gives all games a price you're busy at least like 15-30 min with it.. thats like 5 E - 10E so that makes dom 3 like 55 E and other games 5 E -10 E.. so then you'd only need to spend 5-11x as much time or have that much more fun with dom 3
.. ok all going a bit far maybe but comparing with free games is just abusing a loophole in the equation

I still think that for pplz into these kinds of games paying about 20 E extra for dominions compared to nearly all other games will give them MUCH more value for their coin.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:29 AM

Corporal

TheMenacer is on a distinguished road

My only real contention with the game's price is that while it's not all that bad (retail price, which is slightly high for an indie game, but hey, I've blown more than my money's worth of time playing it) I can't help but feel that if the game were 30 dollars we'd see a jump in sales and, more importantly, in community size and in a game that relies so heavily on multiplayer, community size is a huge deal.
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im not sure if this is the type of game which would make a really big jump in sales based only on the price. The number of players which would enjoy a game like this seems fairly fixed. Maybe if it was "prettier" by new game standards you could sell quite abit based on cost alone.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)