.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Changing Dominions 3 defaults

There is only this one...

--mapprov X Set number of provinces (default=150)

But you have to do the math yourself.
You could probably script something to take a number (playr) and do a math thing with it. But I put it into a calculator then plug it into the script. Especially since its common that when a person has a strong opinion on the number-per-player they tend to also have a favorite overall map size or a favorite number of players, so the answer doesnt tend to change much

Nothing is Impossible. Its a computer. The term impossible is a technical term meaning it is possible but probably more trouble than its worth.
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Nothing is Impossible. Its a computer. The term impossible is a technical term meaning it is possible but probably more trouble than its worth.
I have a halting problem for you!
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank for answering and thank you for this awesome thread.
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I have a halting problem for you!
LOL
Well since it does involve a computer, there is a computer answer for it which has worked well in the past. But in this case, in the overall scheme of things here, it would probably be considered "impossible"
(see above definition)
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Major General

I have another question. Only partly about defaults.

This is one of the switches im using, and its working.

D:\Dom3\dom3.exe --preexec D:\Dom3\backup.bat

So i get the savegame. But if i mess up and want to copy back the back up, i always have to open the folder, copy, open new folder, paste, hit overwrite.

How would i go about creating an automated bat file ?

cd D:\Dom3
cd oldsaves
cd 1

now what are the parameters for copying from oldsaves/1 to savedgames/1 with overwrite ?
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Hmm I missed this. Good thing I read thru it.
I think the switched for overwrite depend on your system. I tend to use xcopy on winxp so mine might not be the same as yours
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:19 AM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

Bumping this in the hope that I can get some advice. I play Dom3 mostly on my laptop, 1024x768 resolution, fullscreen. What I look at is a nice, square picture, properly proportioned, with thick black borders on either side. It is great.

My desktop computer's monitor has a native resolution of 1600x900. I tried doing the command line "-r 1600 900" to force the resolution to 1600x900 because it isn't an option that is available for me to pick in the game. What I basically get is a stretched out mess. Everything looks distorted. So I tried changing the resolution to 1024x768, hoping the game would look the same as it does on my laptop. No luck. It looks even worse, more stretched out and distorted. I turn off fullscreen,and it gives me Dom3 in a window. Everything in the window looks fine, but it is still a window and I can still see my desktop and all of my folders, etc.

Is there any way I can get 1600x900 to look good? Or maybe to get the thick black borders that I have on my laptop to appear on my desktop?

The reason this is suddenly important to me is because I'm attending a LAN party pretty soon and I'm trying to introduce some friends to Dom3. I'd prefer to remove some of the temptation of trolling my desktop, or going through my stuff, by leaving it out of the picture, but I'd also like for the picture to look good. Ya know?

Also: if it matters, laptop has Windows 7, desktop has Windows Vista
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:45 PM

Major General

Anyone with knowledge about this still around ?

Im using this one:

D:\Dom3\dom3.exe --preexec backup.bat -w -r 1400 950 --magicsites 65 --indepstr 7 --eventrarity 2 --seapart 10 --mountpart 50 --mapgcol 50 100 50 250 --mapscol 20 50 80 255 --mapbcol 130 130 130 29 --mapsbcol 111 194 21 104 --mapaa --mapnoise 100

And my random maps dont have any province borders, what am i doing wrong ?
In addition, the command line switch seems to have a maximum lengths (windows-wise). The above line is as long as it gets. If i want to add richness etc presets, what would ineed to do (because the command switch itself cant have any more characters, windows will cut it off)
thanks
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok-X View Post
D:\Dom3\dom3.exe --preexec backup.bat -w -r 1400 950 --magicsites 65 --indepstr 7 --eventrarity 2 --seapart 10 --mountpart 50 --mapgcol 50 100 50 250 --mapscol 20 50 80 255 --mapbcol 130 130 130 29 --mapsbcol 111 194 21 104 --mapaa --mapnoise 100

And my random maps dont have any province borders, what am i doing wrong ?
I made a shortcut with only one item. --mapbcol 130 130 130 29
and yes the map had no borders. Iirc those numbers are red green blue and opacity (how see thru it is). When I changed 29 to 129 the borders showed up. It was ugly but they were there.

Quote:
In addition, the command line switch seems to have a maximum lengths (windows-wise). The above line is as long as it gets. If i want to add richness etc presets, what would ineed to do (because the command switch itself cant have any more characters, windows will cut it off)
thanks
I had that problem. I had to split my game playing settings into a different icon than my map making (and another for MP). So I would split that stuff up into

--preexec backup.bat -w -r 1400 950 --magicsites 65 --indepstr 7 --eventrarity 2

and

--seapart 10 --mountpart 50 --mapgcol 50 100 50 250 --mapscol 20 50 80 255 --mapbcol 130 130 130 29 --mapsbcol 111 194 21 104 --mapaa --mapnoise 100

to two different shortcuts
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Major General

Okay, thanks.
One more questions about this one:

--seapart 10 --mountpart 50 --mapgcol 50 100 50 250 --mapscol 20 50 80 255 --mapbcol 130 130 130 29 --mapsbcol 111 194 21 104 --mapaa --mapnoise 100

If i put this behind the dom3.exe i would expect the game to create a random map with these settings. However, what happens is that the game loads of normally. So i choose "game tools" "random map gen" but the random map menu is still showing the stock settings as presets, not the one i defined using the command switch. Maybe i just dont understand it and the switch has another use, NOT altering the "random map generator" preset ?

Last question: I remember some years ago someone (you?) had a site which hundreds of random maps, available with preview and sortable by province number etc. I think each day a new map was uploaded. Do you know which site i mean ?