This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A favor...

Ive been playing SEIV and Dominions 3 back and forth for the last month (no money for new games), dwelling on the things that make me love them both equally. And the differences.

One thing I realized is that for ME at least one thing that SEIV had over Dom3 was something that lent an RPG factor for my character. With Dom3 you dont really manage the provinces you take. You simply use them to recruit bigger armies.

With SEIV there were facilities and events which made me feel more like a leader that had to also take care of the empire. Yes they all had impact on war-capabilities. But some of the planets could be primed for specific purposes. Such as an optimum world, facilities which increased growth, fighting off a plague, these things gave me the feel of one planet being a Ryssa party-world to be protected. There wasnt alot of it. But SEIV does have more of a feel for managing an empire than Dom3 does. In fact it was probably a pretty good level. Not so much as to feel like micro-managment, but enough for some variety and rpg.

Just thought Id mention it. Id hate to see it left out in favor of more war-game.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM

Corporal

Alikiwi is on a distinguished road

I don't think you have any worries there. The SE 4.5 project has discussed this, and adding some characters like heros or traders etc. has been mentioned. I think I also said more Scenarios would be good (I'm adding a few to SE IV). Possibly a few suggestions on additional facility types may be useful. We have considered seperate ones for building units AND components... :-)
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Well I am a registered beta with an NDA on file *hint hint*.

Facilities for components? Im not sure on that one. Im a big fan of really large maps. The facility would become obsolete as you expand away from that planet. Unless there were components which took so much time and resources to build that they are not good considerations for front-line building making it reasonable to create them far behind the lines and ship them forward.

I havent thought on it. But Id probably consider along the line of planet and system specialization to keep the SEIV feel. Something like, maybe a Solar Powerplant to make use of multiple-sun systems. Not sure what it would do. Maybe beam the power out so that any of my ships in that sector use are continually refueled (which would be nice for prospecting).

Maybe a Capital structure? or Embassy?

Speaking of Embassy reminds me. I love that I can communicate and trade with the AI's but I have a long list of suggestions about that.
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:35 PM

Corporal

Alikiwi is on a distinguished road

Solar Power Plants already exist, they simply provide resources, although you could make them act as a resupply unit, hm delete std resupply and make the solar power plant do that job! As for components, its related to having the ability to sell them to, or buy them from Traders. Also because you can build them, and perhaps move them to were they are wanted. Also if you upgrade your tech and they become obsolete, you can sell them to traders who might sell them to someone else, perhaps even to the Mercenaries LOL
Probably you should read up on it here -> http://www.kenvsthecity.com/se45/
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Oh *DUH* this is the other project, not the one this thread was started on?

I would like to go read up on that. But times are hard. And altho Im technically retired Im trying REALLY hard to keep to the limits set by "the budget master" to only invest my time into sites that she sees as possibly leading up to extra income. At least for now.

Gandalf Parker
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

dumbluck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikiwi View Post
Solar Power Plants already exist, they simply provide resources, although you could make them act as a resupply unit, hm delete std resupply and make the solar power plant do that job!
Grit Econ did something like this, IIRC.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Did everyone see? Did you notice?
Shrapnel Games Announces Star Legacy!
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44830

Hmmm... maybe I shouldnt have mentioned it. This might be test to see if people who use the free forums actually use the site that hosts it. (hint hint nudge nudge)

--
Don't get me a great ship and a few stars with a few options.
Give me a Universe and unlimited options.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

That sounds very interesting. And I am glad they allow enough time for development and testing.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

Woot!
Can't wait until some screenies are released, should give a nice idea on how the game will look and feel.
Thanks for the heads up Gandalf!
Now go program!

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player