.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old June 7th, 2003, 01:38 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Misadventures of the Missed Adventurers

"Jack, narp got it wrong, my name is simply 'D (pronounced like the letter [Dee]). I'm not much for..."

As the three were exchanging introductions, the forest began to move. The pathway behind them slowly closed and the trees began herding them towards the river bank (if the river is still there that is)

"Heads up boys, it looks like someone wants us to move. Jack take the point, that way we will at least know if we have something to walk on."

As they approached the river bank, they notice that sure enough, there was no longer any water to splash up against the shore. All that was left was a rocky riverbed. With little choice the trio make their way accross the dry river.

"Look, a pathway is opening up leading to the mountain, and if I'm not mistaken 'that', (I point to the base of the mountain) is a cave entrance."

The small globe at the end of my staff begins to glow softly.

Old June 7th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

"personally, i don't like blundering into things, espiacally ones i don't understand. and unless we get some reason to hurry, i would perfer to understand at least wether or not we're facing a trap."
narp subconsiously scans the clearing in a motion even he doesn't really notice.

ooc:[after all the nasty wolf packs he's run into, even a curious wolf raises a few hairs on the back of his neck. but unless mr. k'wolf does something unstealthy, he's not going to get noticed. it's only hungry or angry wolves he's very good at noticing. anyone got any ideas for a name for this roleplay? no hurry.]

[ June 07, 2003, 03:17: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old June 7th, 2003, 05:49 AM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

"Analysez le charme sur la porte"
Red glowing tendrils show up on the door, but these are exceptionally fine, and appear to be in a very small cursive script. Jack looks at the tendrils closely.
"I recognize most of these runes. It appears there are actually several distinct enchanments here. This one"
Jack indicates a particular loop of light red, almost pink, runes that encompass the door
"seems designed to prevent rot; I can't find any connections to the other enchantments. This one,"
Jack points out a small cluster of dark red runes
"Releases a lot of energy in a short time; I'm not familiar with its exact form. It may be a weapon of some kind. It seems to be triggered by"
Jack traces a finger along a glowing strand of runes, and continues when he reaches what looks like a spiderweb covering the door in a slightly lighter shade of red than most
"A break in this web of runes. Best not to try knocking the door down. This one"
Jack points at a cluster of runes surronding the knocker
"makes a noise when the knocker is knocked. I can't be sure exactly what noise, however. It could be an alarm, it could be a doorbell. It could even be a noise designed to trigger sound-sensitive runes deeper in the cave. My Master often does things like that. It was fun getting into his tower to get his apprenticeship sigil."

"D, do you have any thoughts on these?"
Note: The runes are still glowing in various shades of red.

[ June 07, 2003, 04:57: Message edited by: Jack Simth ]
Old June 7th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

ooc:[jack seems to be a very niave 400 year old]
Old June 7th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by narf poit chez BOOM:
ooc:[jack seems to be a very niave 400 year old]
ooc:[Part of the character concept - he's a savant with magic, and savants tend to come with odd quirks; he can turn a blind eye to his master wanting to kill him, as his master hasn't figured out how to make it happen yet - I already have many things worked out, including the results of the next time something tries to kill him, how apprenticeships work where he comes from, the style of the Journyman entry exam, and what happens when he sleeps (although I have had him hint at some of it). Also, I don't think I mentioned his age - just that he has been apprenticed for three hundred years so far, and doesn't even blink at another 400 to 6700 years on his apprenticeship. I'm curious where you picked 400 up from.]

[ June 07, 2003, 09:39: Message edited by: Jack Simth ]
Old June 7th, 2003, 12:22 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

"Jack, take a closer look at the spiderweb rune, that's not a break, it's a dead end. The web is designed like a maze, I have heard of wizardlocks like that before. I believe all that is required is for one of us to trace the proper route through the maze."

Give it a try,..
Old June 7th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Major General

"I see..."
"Labyrinthe Illusoire"
An illusionary duplicate quickly forms, and Jack traces a line on it
"...perhaps this?"

ooc:[I don't have the utils to make the colors come out quite right]

[ June 07, 2003, 12:01: Message edited by: Jack Simth ]
Old June 7th, 2003, 10:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

ooc[:you stated that he's only 300 years into his apprenticeship, which would probably make him no more than 400 years old.]
the door, without any fanfar or prelude, disapears. jack and D. don't notice any transportation or transmutation spell. beyond, are a set of clean, well-lighted stairs. they even have some simple handrails fashoned out of the walls. because the stairs appear to double back, their end can't be seen. narp looks down the stairs and says "anything down there we should know about?"

ooc:[if not, just head down. with this being my first serious rp, i think i'll hang back for now.]

[ June 21, 2003, 01:51: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]
Old June 7th, 2003, 11:42 PM

Major General

ooc:[Ahh, but remember, his master is unwilling - which means that at the start of his apprenticeship, Jack already had enough knoweledge of magic to: Get into his master's tower, steal something from him, and survive the repercussions of that, as well as survive training that includes attempts on his life. Besides, in most cultures where apprenticeships were the norm (historically, anyway) apprenticeships often started in the 7-12 range and Lasted seven years; multiplying that out so that an apprenticeship normally Lasts 7,000 years, that would put him starting his apprenticeship in the 7,000 - 12,000 range; using the minimum requirement for journyman eligability (700 year aprenticiship) as the standard, that would put him at 700 - 1200 + his 300 years in training = 1000 to 1500 years old. Mind you, I haven't actually properly settled on an age for him quite yet; 400 makes sense, I guess.]

"Let's find out."
Jack picks a rock up off the ground, and waves a hand over it - green tendrils wrap themselves around the rock, and then fade out.
"I just put a simple life simulation spell on this stone. It is normally used for testing enchantments that detect life, but it should also trigger any magical traps on its way down."
That said, Jack tosses the stone down the stairway.
Klink,
SNAP!
Klink,
CRACKLE!
Klink,
POP!
Klink,
Klink,
Thud.

"I counted three, let's try again."
Jack picks up another rock, and does the same thing with it.
Klink,
Klink,
Klink,
Klink,
Klink,
Klink,
Klink,
Klink,
Thud.

"It seems they were one-shot traps. Mind you, those rocks wouldn't have set off anything that was entierly mundane, but hey, life isn't without some risk. D, as you have the light, I might suggest that you take the lead."

ooc:[Hey, my first serious RP as well.]

[ June 07, 2003, 22:45: Message edited by: Jack Simth ]
Old June 8th, 2003, 12:51 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narp picks up a stick and raps it hard against the first step and the cieling and walls. "first steps safe." another step down, another *rap*-*rap*-*rap*-*rap*. "second steps fine." *click* *clunk-nk-nk-nk-nk-nk-nk-nk-nk* *rap*-*rap*-*rap*-*rap*. ooc:[darts] "that one was one-shot to. third steps fine."
they continue down the stairs, setting off a swinging wooden board and the landing, which is a trap door. narp goes back up, grabs a rock and drops it in. not a sound is heard.

[ June 08, 2003, 00:04: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]