.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old March 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Persian Empire Mod (Beta)

Quote:
Sandman said:
To fit in better with the other nations of the game, Persia should really have a fictionalised name. Just my opinion, of course.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. I agree. Maybe "The Dune People" or "Cameltopia" or "Petropolis" ... Ok, those weren't serious, but I agree that a fictionalized name would be best.
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road

Chazar >> Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, my linux box is broken at the moment and I haven't had the compunction to fix it. I assume that the standard CRLF characters--0d0a, inserted (e.g. by a hex editor) would solve the problem. I'll check it out, I just figured that the parser stopped reading when it hit a newline character or a quote.
Quantum >> I'll do a little more number crunching and see if I can pick a fair, but higher cost for the Sha'ir.

Sandman >> The Hashishim were an Islamic group--most of the Persia mod is based on Zoroastrian Iran which is pre-Islamic. The exception is, of course, the Sha'ir which is an Islamic derivation. I didn't feel that, with their other bonuses in mind, they needed either a spy or an assassin. They have a scout and stealth units The Fravartin and his Spectres are stealth units.

I was going to do a fictional name for them, but my knowledge of Sanskrit (particularly the Avesta dialect) is confined to English translations thereof. (any Sanskrit majors out there?)

The reason I gave the Immortals shortbows is because they often carried them--[Digression]I don't know what the Sanskrit word that the Persians used to indicate the "Immortals"--Immortals is a derivation of what the Greeks called them. Satapatish is the correct word for their lieutenants though. I'd prefer to use the Sanskrit word, but I haven't seen it used.

My brother, "BigDaddy" here, noted that the price of the Scythian Archer was 15g, 10r, and thought it was quite high considering most archers are less than 10 bucks. I based the unit costs on a weighted deviation from the mean (I have attached my work spreadsheet for all interested to peruse). There is a good chance that they're too expensive, however, I'm not really an expert on cost analysis.

I suppose I forgot to give the cavalry hoof Attacks . They're pretty good without, but in keeping with the spirit of the game, they should.

Anyone picked up Zarathustra, Rustam, or the Simurgh yet?
Attached Files
File Type: xls 340735-Persia Matrices.xls (526.5 KB, 585 views)
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Verjigorm said:

Anyone picked up Zarathustra, Rustam, or the Simurgh yet?
Yes, I got Rustam, I think 40 HP is a bit much considering giants are only 30.
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

He's size 3 riding a horse 40 might be a bit much though--he originally had 25 (dropping to 15 on dismount). I might go back to that. 40 is pretty heroic though.
Old March 16th, 2005, 02:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

Default Persian Empire Mod: A few notes

I should've done this in the first post, but here are a few notes about the units in the mod for those of you not interested in reading the coding:

1. The Magus, Mobed, and Sha'ir have Elemental randoms, not full randoms.

2. The Mobed's random picks are linked (e.g. he will get 2F, 2A, 2W, or 2E but never a combination).

3. The national spell, Sanguine Heritage, takes 3 Astral and 3 Death to cast -- none of the national mages can cast it, so make a pretender that can or ignore the spell. The spell summons a Fravartin who, in turn, gathers Spectres. These are the stealth units of Persia.

4. Many of the units transform into others when they die.

Urvaram Aabi lose the abilities of Heal and Supply +20 among other things. They become immortal and gain several other personal abilities making them "better" as singular units but not nearly as good as a support unit.

Immortals transform into Aabi--their weapons are phantasmal and they lose their strength. They gain some abilities of the non-corporeal undead, however.

Satapatish also transform into Aabi, but they get a life drain attack instead of a phantasmal one.

The cavalry units will transform into similarly equipped infantry units upon their death--this is to simulate the death of the horse rather than the rider. I would have liked to make a probability of either complete death or dismount, but the game does not allow such things.

5. The priest/mages have special ranged or melee (Barshnuum) fire attacks. Zarathustra's (hero) attack is a Divine Armament which is supposed to cause 3x damage to demons and undead.

6. The Scythed Chariot is a very powerful commander that is probably best used as a stand-alone rather than a leader like the TC S&A Noble. It has a significant armament and is a size 5 trampler. It's resource cost of 59 is quite expensive, though.

7. Persian scouts are excellent bowment with 13 precision.

8. Units employing white horses are capitol only, but receive an AP and map move bonus.

9. All of the Persian forces have wasteland survival (a very valuable trait).

10. The rings possessed by the Magi are shields.

11. Typically, shield-wearing units do not have bows. However, it is possible to wield a bow while using a small shield. The traditional Persion Gerron is made out of wicker and is very light. It provides no protection, but does add defense. It's primary use (historically) was to deflect incoming arrows.

12. The basic gem income for Persia is 3F, 1N, 1S.
Old March 16th, 2005, 04:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Persian Empire Mod: A few notes

Verjigorm, the deviation method is good, but you need to take out the outliers. . . The outliers are the units that nations recieve on the cheap. If you find the deviations for all of the units you used, they'll be the ones with the highest deviation from the mean. Like the Pythium thuerg, who is extra cheap. Remove these, and refigure your deviation. Use this new deviation as a guideline. . .
Old March 16th, 2005, 05:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

liga is on a distinguished road

Very nice ... I'll soon try it! and I'll add the link to this thread to the mods thread.

There are some minor small/capitals inconsistences (concerning Persia_banner end magus) that gives problems using Linux but can be easly fixed.

thank you for this mod
Liga
Old March 16th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

My understanding of unit costs is that a basic human soldier costs 10 gold, and has 10 in nearly all their stats. Each +1 to a stat adds +1 to the gold cost, whilst any national bonuses (like Marignon's +1 morale) are free. The Ulmish Guardian has +4 morale, +2 attack, +2 hitpoints and +2 strength over a normal Ulmish soldier, and consequently costs 20 gold. Some units exceed or fall short of this system, of course. 'Hoplite' units (Arco, Machaka and Pangaea) have excellent stats for their gold cost, in particular.

With this system in mind, the cost of the Medean infantry should be 15 gold, and the Persian infantry 16 gold (I'm ignoring their +1 precision) This can be reduced further if they are considered to have a national bonus to their morale, as their description suggests.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

I was basing the cost on deviation with an increase in cost per standard deviation from the mean. I've changed it to the standard as you mentioned--their costs are 14 and 15 gold respectively.

Liga -- I (hope) I've got all of the filenames hammered out now.

Many other changes made to numbers, costs, etc. See the initial post for an updated version and notes.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:57 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

The order of commanders is not very good. I changed it to: scout, melee commander, mages from the cheapest to the most expensive. The new order is:

#addreccom 1670
#addreccom 1650
#addreccom 1669
#addreccom 1653
#addreccom 1654
#addreccom 1651

They have hard time casting their special spell, but I quess it could be done. I don't have time to test this fully, but the idea of multiple units who come back if killed is great.