This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 1st, 2003, 05:43 AM

Corporal

HercMighty is on a distinguished road
Default Space Empires IV Newbie

After the horrible debacle of MOO3 I saw a post for this game and wish I would have found it a lot sooner.

My question is what MOD's do you recommend for single player against AI? I don't have the time to do multiplayer so any mod that would make this game better for single player I would like to hear it. Also any combinations of mods.

Thanks in advance. Now back to the demo while I await my CD.

[ March 01, 2003, 03:44: Message edited by: HercMighty ]
Old March 1st, 2003, 05:56 AM

Lieutenant General

oleg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Space Empires IV Newbie

There are few. I assume you ordered SEIV:Gold.
First, you should download TDM-Mod. It will give you some _interesting_ masochistic experience if you give AI high or even medium bonus. Then there is Proportions mod (just don't forget to download the latest Version, one in your CD is just a beta release). The latest rave is "AIC", or AI Compain mod by JLS. It is designed specifically for sole play. For ultimate humilation, download Pirates&Nomads mod and play as pirate. Good luck.

For extra fun, try either Babylon5 or Star Track mods.

[ March 01, 2003, 04:00: Message edited by: oleg ]
Old March 1st, 2003, 05:58 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Definitely grab the TDM modpack for more competitive AIs.

Be sure to set them to Hard difficulty. The easier settings in that Category make the AIs not use all of their ministers.

You can also set the AI bonus to low or medium to give the computer players a 2x or 3x bonus to production in all resources.

If you like playing tactical combat with small, personalized fleets, give Pirates & Nomads a try. If you are playing as a Pirate or a Nomadic race, you will forego colonies to live by your wits and the unwilling generosity of others in the cold depths of space!
Old March 1st, 2003, 06:23 AM

Lieutenant General

After reading Moo3 forums I realised how many people love space conquest games but never ever heard about SE IV. We should bring mercy on their souls and show the way to salvation, right ?
Old March 1st, 2003, 06:30 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road

When you get your Gold CD, be sure to upgrade the mods you want to play as the ones on the CD are older Versions. Also lst thing to do is download the Mod Launcher, it saves a lot of time downloading the various mods and makes it a lot easier to use them. All the mods are excellent, Your manual with your cd will give some explanations on them, Also upgrade to the newest SE patch 1.84.

Welcome to the SE community, enjoy and remember, if you have a question, ask away. someone will always answer around here. Enjoy yourself

just some ideas mac

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old March 1st, 2003, 06:47 AM

Lieutenant General

BTW, SEIV is evolving (not like BBC, I HATE that commercial). The latest mods are made for latest SE patch (1.84, there is a link from shrapnelgames.com front page. It is not about bugs or complaints, it is a straitforward feedback from MM to our requests). Anyway, download it first upon receiving CD before doing anything else.
Old March 1st, 2003, 07:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forums and the game.

Right now the best mods are the TDM and the FQM.

But if you look at the forum load page, you will see a sicky at the top of this forum, (Space Empires IV, about Mods. There is also a page at Malfador about the mods.

The one that I use most often that is not a nitch mod, ie like the http://astmod.com is the Fyron Quadrant Mod Delux, and Proportions.

The TDM mod has great AI, and should be considered for any serious single player games. But the AI is transferable to any mod. You just have to do it.

The best thing about SEIV is the fact that YOU can easily mod just about any aspect of the game that you want.
Old March 1st, 2003, 12:39 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

As was already said, don't be afraid to ask anything on this forum, regardless of how stupid it may seem to you. Nobody has ever been flamed here for asking a question even if it was asked already 500 times. And believe me, you will have some questions because there are so many roads that lead to Rome in SE4.
Old March 1st, 2003, 10:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget to check the Newbie FAQ, which is stickied at the top of this forum. It has lots and lots of answers in it and could save you some time when looking for answers.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 16th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Private

TheBlip is on a distinguished road

I too heard about SEIV from the MOO3 site. This thread is exactly the one I wanted to post. Thanks for all the answers.