Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:50 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Malasian MANPADS

Sorry no unit number.
They get an EW rating of 5 rather than 6 for say the Brits
They also get the extended range version (7km)
No idea if that is correct but it was not available till 2007
Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:53 AM

Corporal

AMX is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Malasian MANPADS

I looked up the numbers for you...

OOB74
Units 109 and 116
EW5
Weapon 32
Range 140

And comparing with the British versions...

OOB07
Units 440 and 444
EW5
Weapon 32
Range 100

Replaced 1/100 with..
Units 441 and 445
EW6
Same weapon
Old June 24th, 2013, 02:35 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Cheers AMX I would guess then that the Malaysian unit should be EW5 & range 100

British units 441 & 445 may probably represent Startstreak II with slightly improved targeting & the extended range.
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Cheers AMX I would guess then that the Malaysian unit should be EW5 & range 100
Most likely, yes.

Quote:
British units 441 & 445 may probably represent Startstreak II with slightly improved targeting & the extended range.
Possibly, but I think they are too early for that - as you said, no Starstreak II before 2007.
I'm guessing they are meant to represent SIFF (Improved IFF system for the launcher, bought July 2001)

Come to think of it, I never heard of Malaysia buying Starstreak...
Old June 24th, 2013, 03:17 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

according to Wiki they have javelin (aka starburst) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbur...to-air_missile

Per the missile section of the Malaysian army wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysi...fense_Missiles

Which also refers to Rapier - 15 fire units - which probably should be added as well. The picture shown in the wiki article looks like the field standard C model.

Starstreak should be replaced with Javelin - no news of them replacing these with starstreaks, as they have bought other IR MANPADS recently.

to be investigated.

Andy
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:16 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Malasian MANPADS

Malaysia has neither JAVELIN or STARSTREAK. Note related articles to the right of main one in the refs.
STARSTREAK: UK fielded in 1997. UK should as of this writing should be taking deliveries of the STARSTREAK II.
EXPORT USER(S): South Africa fielded them in 2010.
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/starstreak/

I'll be honest enough here to say especially with as much work the both have caused me over the last three years or so... MALAYSIA or INDONESIA and TOMATO or TAMATOE!?!

If you remember I've posted patience with this ref because it would be limited to subcribers only after being updated. And for John no fund raising required here as it's free and done!?! It has been updated at least twice this year as will be noted in bold below.
JAVELIN: USA fielded the BLK 0 in 1996 it would replace the M47 DRAGON. BLK 0 w/CLU first used in 2003 in IRAQ/AFGHANISTAN by the USA, USMC and ADF. In JAN 2009 the BLK 1/JV became available. Of note in a demo test firings a range of 4,750m was achieved as noted above.
EXPORT USER(S): UK fielded in JULY 2005 to replace the MILAN. Also in 2007 UK armoured infantry and formation recon forces would receive the JAVELIN to replace the SWINGFIRE ATGW. Also TAIWAN, LITHUANIA, JORDAN, AUSTRIALIA, NEW ZEALAND (JUNE 2006), NORWAY (JAN. (?) but early 2006.) and IRELAND (Note picture to the right.).
FMS PENDING SALES: CANADA has been approved but has not acted on it to this point. INDIA as noted above, FRANCE (Ordered w/deliveries pending.) and QATAR in MARCH 2013 as noted above. But there are more in refs 2 & 3.
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/javelin/
http://www.army-technology.com/news/...issile-sale-us
http://www.army-technology.com/news/...ssiles-from-us
On my work list the BELGIUM deal was approved. And I think a French delivery date is now set as well though I have to recheck my refs on that.

I think the STARSTREAK question will open a can of worms as I suspect some Asisian countries might have them as well in my "travels" through the OOBs. The JAVELIN might be short in a couple of countries such as IRELAND though unsure and I never had the time to get back top verify this-sorry!

Oh what the "bell"...
I'm really just going to cheat and cut and paste from the ref.
RAPIER:
Development of the system started in 1992 and 57 Rapier FSC systems were produced for the UK Ministry of Defence. Rapier FSC first entered service in 1996.
RAPIER/JERNAS (Upgraded export version.): Various versions of the Rapier missile system are in service with nine countries. Oman, Singapore, Switzerland and Turkey have had their systems upgraded and have ordered the mk2 missile. The Australian Army withdrew its Rapier systems from service in November 2005.

In April 2002, Malaysia signed a contract with MBDA to procure the Jernas system, including nine missile launchers (later increased to 15), three radars, Rapier mk2 missiles, training and support. Malaysia is the first export customer for Jernas. BAE Systems Insyte supplied the Blindfire tracking and weapon control radars and Dagger surveillance radars. The first system was delivered in March 2006 and ten systems were delivered by the end of 2006.
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/jernas/

A note of caution about WIKI and its off shoots, the only requirment is that you be truthful or just another way of saying it's on the HONOR system when contributing. Hey listen I've used it to if for no other reason then to check the references posted by the contributers over time. Just be careful with it.

Regards,
Pat
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:25 AM

Lieutenant General

Just checked the DID site, though still locked out you can see enough to get the country users and they have the full fielded dates. Not knowing how it will "pop up" you might have to click on the "expand" part under the chart.
https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...missile-03440/

Or I could just cut & paste it as below...

Javelin received initial attention and interest from a few countries in its early years, but its successful use in Iraq from mid-2003 onward definitely gave its exports another push. Countries that have requested, bought and fielded Javelin systems now include: Australia (2002), the Czech Republic (2004), France (2010), Indonesia (2013), Ireland (2002), Jordan
(2001, 2009, 2013), Lithuania (2001), New Zealand (2003), Norway (2005), Oman (2006 & 2012), Taiwan (2002 & 2008), the UAE
(2008), the UK (2003), and the USA (original).

Sometimes the delay between an initial request and fielding can be surprisingly long. (Our biggest headache in the equipment submission business-FBT.) The UAE, for instance, ordered Javelins almost 4 years after their formal 2004 DSCA request. DSCA requests and national selections that have yet to result in publicly-announced contracts or fielding include Canada (2003 request), Bahrain (2006 request), Saudi Arabia (2010), Belgium (2012), and Qatar (2013). Georgia has also reportedly asked for Javelin systems, but the outcome of that deal isn’t known.

May 22/13: A firm-fixed-price, maximum $53.4 million contract for Javelin Block I Tactical Missile Rounds, on behalf of the US Army, US Marine Corps, and the governments of Jordan and Indonesia.

The USA is using a combination of FY 2010 and FY 2013 Procurement funds to pay for their share. Indonesia submitted an export request for up to 180 missiles on Nov 29/12, and they’re a new customer. In contrast, this is Jordan’s 3rd purchase. The US Army Contracting Command in Redstone Arsenal, AL manages the contract, and acts as Jordan and Indonesia’s agent (W31P4Q-13-C-0129).

Hey look at the bright side the "REDMAN" will get a chance to beat the snot out of me soon!?!

Regards,
Pat
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:30 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
JAVELIN: USA fielded the BLK 0 in 1996 it would replace the M47 DRAGON. BLK 0 w/CLU first used in 2003 in IRAQ/AFGHANISTAN by the USA, USMC and ADF. In JAN 2009 the BLK 1/JV became available. Of note in a demo test firings a range of 4,750m was achieved as noted above.
Not that Javelin - the other Javelin.
A British SAM, that replaced Blowpipe.
The last model got a new guidance system and was renamed "Starburst"
Which was the immediate predecessor of Starstreak.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMX For This Useful Post:
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:15 PM

Lieutenant General

Well I really that up! I completely forgot about "that" JAVELIN. Though you jogged my memory, I didn't know much of it's background except what it did and who was the primary user. THANK YOU! And yes before someone beats me up here, I did see the thread title. I hope the other 2/3 of the info was somewhat useful and I'll leave you to it. Just a little parting gift below that's non-WIKI...
http://www.allmilitaryweapons.com/20...t-missile.html

Again my apoligies.

Regards,
Pat
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Corporal

Ironically, that article is a copy of the Wikipedia article.