World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Posts are backwards why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
Another problem is you can't link toa particular post, because by the time someone reads the link, it might be on a different page!

personally I say, why not just make it a user option?
Yes you can. See that nifty yellow note with a push pin in it icon at the top left corner of every post? Click on it. It gives a URL for that particular post. Just delete the ;p=1 part and it will work forever.

[ February 02, 2004, 23:16: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:34 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

I also like the newest first format.

Although it might be more due to the fact that I visit several times a day so I already know what most threads contain.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:39 AM

Private

aldiss2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
I would think that the systems administrator for Shrapnel and people that have been visiting these forums a lot for years would have a more accurate feel for what the majority might think on an issue like this.
The "people who have been visiting these forums for years" are a self selected sample, how many people do you think didn't like it and never returned?

The "Printer-friendly" option is not optimal as it forces you to download the message again, increasing the tedium for us dialup cripples.

Otherwise, remembering the failed upgrade of the board software just after Dom2 came out, does anyone know if he plans to try again?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by aldiss2:
The "people who have been visiting these forums for years" are a self selected sample, how many people do you think didn't like it and never returned?
Not very many. Most people that have come to these forums over the years have not been so fickle as to leave just because they did not like the sorting order. The content is what matters, not the sorting order.

Quote:
The "Printer-friendly" option is not optimal as it forces you to download the message again, increasing the tedium for us dialup cripples.
True, but it is an option.

Quote:
Otherwise, remembering the failed upgrade of the board software just after Dom2 came out, does anyone know if he plans to try again?
The only thing that failed was getting the uploading script to work with the new forum script upgrade. Nothing else was a failure there.

Also, there is always the "end" key that will move the page to the bottom, preventing any doubled scrolling efforts at all. Doing this as well as using the Jump to New Posts link on every single thread page, helps a lot.

[ February 02, 2004, 23:47: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:34 AM

Corporal

olaf73 is on a distinguished road

Sorry but the sorting order does matter.

I think most people would prefer the traditional newest Last. I say this with a lot of confidence based on the fact that no other board I have ever visited has a default sorting order of newest first.

I think the ideal solution would be to let the user select his/her preference in the my profile section.

olaf
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:38 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yes, that would be the ideal solution. But, most people here on Shrapnel do not share your views that it is horrible and that it is even relevant. The content is much more important than the sorting order. You may not like the reasons for it, but others do. The common way not always the best way. There are other forums out there that sort Posts in newest to oldest order. Most of the better forum software packages support sorting in both orders.

[ February 03, 2004, 00:39: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:12 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

There are some good sorting features on other Boards:

- One button with normal thread from oldest zu newest.

- Additional Follow-the-Big-Thread Button when the site has more then 1 page. If you press this button the newest Posts will be displayed first.

It works very fine on www.wallstreet-Online.de The greatest german community board for shares/investments
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:05 PM

Corporal

Tiltowait is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
quote:
Originally posted by aldiss2:
[qb]The "people who have been visiting these forums for years" are a self selected sample, how many people do you think didn't like it and never returned?
Not very many. Most people that have come to these forums over the years have not been so fickle as to leave just because they did not like the sorting order. The content is what matters, not the sorting order.
Non sequitur.

And if Shrapnel is foolish enough to ignore irate customers to satisfy someones ego over these bass-ackwards forums, they deserve what they get. I for one avoided them for years (though I occassionally purchased a Shaprnel game) and the second a good dominions 2 forum starts up elsewhere, I will be gone again- the people here are nice but it's always irritating to visit them.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:54 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiltowait:
And if Shrapnel is foolish enough to ignore irate customers to satisfy someones ego over these bass-ackwards forums, they deserve what they get.
So what do they get? I really think we should come back to earth. We are just talking about the sorting of the Posts and now people are talking about leaving the forum for good. Don't you think this is a bit over the top?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM

Major

Tim Brooks is on a distinguished road

Hi All:

Sorry some of you have problems with the sorting order. We have done this so that we may provide better support. It is much easier for us to see the new Posts quickly than to go through many pages of Posts to get to the new. And after 4 1/2 years, we now consider it the norm as most of our forum members do.

We have new software that I believe will allow you to choose the way you would like the Posts to be presented. We tried to install this and found the conVersion to be a long drawn out process. With three new releases (Coliseum, Dominions II and Starfury), we just can't have the forums down for a week to 10 days right now. The new Users rely on information here to learn and better understand the games.

Once things settle down a bit and we can find the time we will upgrade the software, but that won't happen anytime real soon.

If you must leave us because of the way the Posts are presented, we will hate to see you go. Hope you try us again in the future.

Happy Gaming!