.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old December 11th, 2005, 11:15 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NEW SMALL 49 PROVINCE WRAP AROUND MAP!

Thanks for making a small province!! I play a lot of 1x1 games and this will come in handy!

Pasha
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tiny 49 province map (wrap-around)!

@all: Have fun and please tell me what you think about the map.

-----------

I do not have any demand myself currently, but in case that there is some demand for another small wrap-around map:
I can easily turn the upper half of Chandrea into a proper seperate wrap-around map. It would probably be more suitable for 1:1 games, for the upper half will wrap into a single continent with no islands and less water provinces, thus removing the need for the Pocket Ships entirely (but personally speaking I like the Pocket Ships).

However, there is one thing preventing me to do so: After splitting the map, one has to delete all the lower-number provinces from the mapfile and renumber the remaining ones. This is straightforward to do, but pretty tedious and quite error-prune for a human, since one has to take great care which numbers refer to a province and which do not (e.g. for just one example, if province 32 shall become province 4, then "#terrain 32 32" should be changed into "#terrain 4 32" and not into "#terrain 32 4" nor "#terrain 4 4". Similar for distinguishing "#setland 32" (number changes) from "#units 20 32" (numbers remains unchanged, 32=archers)). I have described the arising problems somewhat more detailed in this Post#396275.

However, it should be straightforward to let the computer do this job, but I am not eager enough to code it myself (since I consider Chandrea & Drea to be finished now, except for yet unknown bugs). If someone knows python, then CJN's mapinfo tool (I already linked to its thread here in previous posts in this thread below) might even be a good base to start from, since it already encodes the complete mapfile parsing (but I do not know python myself).

I am also sure that other mapmakers will welcome such a tool for altering mapfiles as well, to there is some praise to earn there!