.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old September 19th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Players

Was really shocking the battle .
From my 100 undeads which should prevent routing and kill the horrors about 90 died ... .
If i would have made 1 banelord instead he would have died probably too or at least he wouldn't have done much damage i guess .

With ulm i honestly can't think of any counter to stop your horrors . Basically we all have troubles .

The frustrating is you can strike at will . And we need a significant force to defeat even a 4 seraph "only" horror attack on our capitol . Really horrible
You are almost alone defeating 2-3 of us lol .
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:19 PM

Corporal

Lex is on a distinguished road

Well, the bigs boys are on their way. That was just my early game raiding parties. They are about ready to retire now. We're about to really see what Caelum can do in the next few turns.
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:34 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Boron said:
Was really shocking the battle .
From my 100 undeads which should prevent routing and kill the horrors about 90 died ... .
If i would have made 1 banelord instead he would have died probably too or at least he wouldn't have done much damage i guess.

Died from what? I think one Bane Lord plus 2 sauromancer are about equal to 4 seraphs. Bane Lord should stop the horrors, and then it's matter of outspamming seraphs. I guess Bane Lord can defeat seraphs alone. Not that he can kill them, but if they're attacking they will eventually route when it will be their time to go to bed.

It reminds me how I've lost battle because of too many horrors. I was storming fort with a good Caelum army (half-a-dozen of Seraphs, some heavy flying infantry, few Bane Lords and Ice Devils etc). I have defeated defenders easily enough, but there was a Monolith there and, of course, false horrors were first to reach it. So they've totally surrounded the Monolith who had wisely decided not to strike back while Bane Lords and Ice Devils were running rounds without being able to get close to the Monolith. Eventually, my forces routed, though one heroic false horror had managed to overcome Monoliths protection and inflict 1hp of damage

Quote:
Boron said:
The frustrating is you can strike at will . And we need a significant force to defeat even a 4 seraph "only" horror attack on our capitol . Really horrible

That's the main strength of Caelum's raiders. It's not as hard to defeat them as to guess where to defeat them
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:55 PM

Captain

Aku is on a distinguished road

This game crash or something? I havent been able to connect to it for hours now.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:39 AM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

Well, I have to say that I am now fully convinced that Caelum is the best race in the game. And maybe by a fairly wide margin.

I am playing Caelum for the first time in Slug Fest. I set up the conditions to be unfavorable to Caelum by using hard research and high strength indies. Plus, I don't really know how to play it all that well and have already messed a few things up in the game. Certainly I am nothing compared to a Caelum regular like Cainehill.

But...

We are on turn 27 and my position is as follows:
HOF - top slot
Provinces - 1
Forts - 1 (2 more than anyone else)
Income - 2
Gem income - 1 (nearly twice the 2nd player)
Research - 2, but will take back over first in about two turns since I am putting my mages back to work researching instead of fighting.

And this is with 10 players!

So, despite me trying to make the game conditions difficult for Caelum, I am currently leading anyway. And I don't even have false horrors yet due to the hard research!

I now know why many games do not allow Caelum to be selected as a choice.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:53 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
The Panther said:I am playing Caelum for the first time in Slug Fest. I set up the conditions to be unfavorable to Caelum by using hard research and high strength indies.
That's about as good as it gets for Caelum. Caelum is very good researcher and lightining bolt is very low research. On top of that many other nations have hard time beating strong indies while it makes little difference to Caelum. And after that, the Caelum will have its usual window of strength well prolonged. I'm fighting (or rather was fighting) nearly everybody in DryLands (very hard research and strong indy) and they've nearly lost. The phase of the game when Caelum is very strong becomes too long and the game can be decide during that time. In other games, with regular research and indy strength Caelum (played by me in one game and by other players in few others) is nowhere as dominant and not in a single game it's a top nation (though in 2 games it's doing quite well, probably around 2nd overall).
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:06 AM

Sergeant

Pickles is on a distinguished road
Default Caelum

That game is a newby game Panther so 10 game vets should be winning regardless of race. (Of course I fantastically misjudged Ermor's spamming power never mind)

I can never work out what the effect of high research is so I would not have figured those settings as anti Caelum - just pro blood.

I do think it looks like a very strong nation but in normal MP games this is sort of balanced by the fact everyone can jump on you, which is not the case in a team game. Of course it is not a satifactory balance method if everyone has to jump on caelum first off or it dominates but I do not think it is that bad.

Pickles
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:20 PM

First Lieutenant

Default Re: Caelum

Is the serve alive? I don't seem to be able to connect today...
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:36 PM

Major

I think all sheap games have crashed, this one included.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:40 PM

Major

Quote:
Pickles said:
I can never work out what the effect of high research is so I would not have figured those settings as anti Caelum - just pro blood.

I never thought of that before, but you are probably right about the pro-blood thing. Except for a minor diVersion or two to other paths, Mictlan can focus heavily in a single school, i.e., blood magic.

Well, it seemed anti-Caelum to me in my single player tests, for I was very very slow doing everything. But obviously, so was everyone else!