.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old August 13th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Sergeant

Pickles is on a distinguished road
Default MP game - \"Pantheons\" Started

Summary of the rules:-
2 teams of 5
Inland map Indep 5 site 50% rest default
24 hour quickhost - slowing to 48 hour quickhost when one team wants it to.

We have 2 teams sorted out & nations allocated to teams but one player has dropped so we need a replacement. He is on team B and due to play Jotunhem but I guess there is a choice of 3 nations. Check with the team.
We are good to go as soon as we get a player.

Pickles

back to original post:-

"Hi
We were talking about playing a team game a while ago & have decided to try to set one up.

The basic rules would be standard 50% site frequency, L7 Indeps & 10 HoF.
There would be 2 teams of 3 or 4 or 5 depending on interest.
The map would be a small one that fit all the positions on it – Aran probably unless there were 10 players
Victory would be when only one team had any players left. This should be easier to achieve than a standard victory.
24hr quickhost until one team wanted to slow it to 48hr

I have got one team of Myself, Aku & Boron who are all hardcore but a bit green I would say – ie played intensely but not often beyond turn 40 or so at least MP.

There are many things to be sorted out & up for discussion (including the above)

- A host
- How to choose staring locations – something slightly less random than random would be good
- How to choose nations. We have 2 principle suggestions
---- Alternate choices starting with our opponents
---- We pick our 3 and our opponents choose what they want when they see these.
- Any special rules. Possibly banning some of these nations
---- Atlantis & Ryleh as they make the map choice more complex
---- Deadly themes. Hmm not sure why but they are pain for their neighbours maybe they will ban themselves
- Anything other people hate
- Any other suggestions or requests people have
This is quite preliminary & is a discussion document as much as a game start so what do you think?

Pickles"
Old August 13th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Captain

Aku is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP game - \"Pantheons\" Preliminary invite

Hmm Edi made a smaller Version of the Faerun map. They have starting locations predefined. Let me go find out how many provinces the smaller one is but it may still be too big.
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

I'd really like to play, and Im really green as well =P
Count me in if you can (its night time now, so I'll probably be updated on all the decisions you make after I sleep, unless I will make a late-night check)
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:49 PM

Corporal

JJ_Colorado is on a distinguished road

I've tried a 2 vs 2 multiplayer game and it was sorta fun but you need a big map I think, unless you want the game to end by turn 30. I like getting into the later turns to try out magic and summons, and find that more interesting.

I would suggest possibly a bigger map and maybe a limit on what turn attacks can begin (ex. no attacks on enemy provinces until turn 25). These are just some thoughts.

Regds,
John
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:00 PM

Sergeant

Pickles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've tried a 2 vs 2 multiplayer game and it was sorta fun but you need a big map I think, unless you want the game to end by turn 30. I like getting into the later turns to try out magic and summons, and find that more interesting.

I would suggest possibly a bigger map and maybe a limit on what turn attacks can begin (ex. no attacks on enemy provinces until turn 25). These are just some thoughts.

Regds,
John
These are radically different opinions from mine. I find the end game can become a chore & I like fighting* - the sooner the better so I personally want a relatively crowded game. In RTS I really despise no rush rules as they take away some of the tensions of the early game. I think a crowded game means that all of the tech tree is relevant not just the big end level stuff. If the game does end abruptly then at least it has not wasted a lot of time.
Of course if nooone else shares my tastes we could have a pure boomfest.

Pickles

*People not creeps
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM

First Lieutenant

The_Tauren13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

These are radically different opinions from mine. I find the end game can become a chore & I like fighting* - the sooner the better so I personally want a relatively crowded game. In RTS I really despise no rush rules as they take away some of the tensions of the early game. I think a crowded game means that all of the tech tree is relevant not just the big end level stuff. If the game does end abruptly then at least it has not wasted a lot of time.

Pickles

took the words right out of my mouth
i agree completely with pickles
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

Pickles,

The problem with your map choice is too much water plus the fact that it is not wraparound. You might get stuck in a corner and can't get out except to attack your partners. Pre selected starting spots go around this, but I kind of like random starts. The only problem is that you might be surrounded by enemies and the game becomes a 3 on 4 quickly. But that is why you have allies (HELP ME!!!!!)

A wraparound map allievates much of these concerns. So does a slightly bigger map.

I would suggest Inland is perfect for a 5 on 5 (even a 4 on 4) because wraparound maps always play much smaller than their true size. Also, Inland does not have the choke points like Eye does, thus meaning you will quickly find an enemy on the other team if you build more than one scout.

The reason you don't have the rush capability in typical FFAs is due to the fact that you could kill someone but weaken yourself so much that a third guy kills you. It makes it a much more strategic decision about when to delare war, typical of any FFA in RTS like Starcraft.

In your plan here, you always know who to attack. When you see an enemy, you are automatically at war. None of that stuff like, 'oops, I didn't mean to take that province next to your home'. Or, 'I am taking that province there, pretty please?' Nope, you kill or be killed.

That no-rush rule above to turn 25 is totally absurd, by the way. The whole point of your plan is to engage your opponent and ATTACK!

Way cool idea, pickles!

Needless to say, I like this idea a lot. I don't think I am as good as any of the three of you, but count me in anyway.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Just to give some ideas for choosing size..
Here is an excerpt from "Map Thoughts"
For a player to capture all of the provinces around his castle as a buffer and for resources, we are probably looking at.. 5? There are 17 nations (at this time) so 5*17 would be 85 provinces. Actually, if you fairly consider the land and water nations then the best map should probably be 15*5 or 75 land provinces, and 2*5 or 10 water provinces, to a total of 85.

So if 5 provinces each at 75 land and 10 water is a small map, then what would be good sized for the others? I guess anything smaller than that would be a tiny map. Plenty of desire for those since many people only want to play with 2-4 nations at a time and dont want them to be too far apart. A small (85 prov) map would be quite a game for only 2 players.

http://www.dom2minions.com/maps.shtml
It also has a link to a page where you can get random maps from tiny to epic sized. Not pretty but they are playable. (I can give some suggestions to pretty one if someone wants it)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:45 PM

First Lieutenant

The_Tauren13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pickles,
The problem with your map choice is too much water plus the fact that it is not wraparound. You might get stuck in a corner and can't get out except to attack your partners. Pre selected starting spots go around this, but I kind of like random starts. The only problem is that you might be surrounded by enemies and the game becomes a 3 on 4 quickly. But that is why you have allies (HELP ME!!!!!)

once again, i completely agree. inland would work quite well if you want no R'lyeh or Atlantis
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:48 PM

Pickles. I would be more than happy to offer up a neutral party for map placement and map choice (even an edited .map file that better supports team play).

Give a shout if you are interested.