This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old September 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Private

RX2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Destroying a Space Station?

So I'm in the second campaign. I am flying an Abbidon Carrier.

I got a mission to destroy a Xiati space station. That one wasnt so bad. The station didnt have any missle launchers at all, so I just sat out of its beam weapon range and pounded it with toxic injectors until it blew up.

But, now I got a mission to blow up a Fazrah station, and its proving to be a lot harder. Supposedly there was supposed to be a fleet of Abbidon ships there to help me, but there was only like 3 and they just flew around the system and never even got close to the station. So I guess its just me vs the station.

The thing has like 12 missle launchers and 5000 shields. It has capital ship missles with a max range of 140, which just happens to be the max range of my toxic injector. So when I get close enough to fire off my injectors it is also nailing me with 3 missles, and of course my PD can only destroy 1 missle. Seems like the station is always gonna win a straight up slugfest.

Anyone have any ideas on how to bring down a station like that? It kind of sucks, because I cant continue the campaign unless I destroy it. There's not even any time limit, so I cant just wait for it to time out.
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Corporal

Campeador is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Destroying a Space Station?

There are other missiles out there with longer range. Do not get too fixed on Toxic weapons, you do not need them to win the game.
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Remember, the station cannot move -- but your ship can. How do you destroy a starbase in SE IV? By "missile dancing" into range and then out again. It works in Starfury, as well, it's just a bit harder to do in real time. Weave into range, fire missiles, weave out before the station's missiles reach you. The station doesn't have the same option.
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Private

I can only fire like 2 or maybe 3 missles max at one time tho. His PD are gonna eat up at least one of those, leaving only 1 missle hitting him every 30 seconds or so.... Its gonna take hours to whittle 5000 shields and armor down, and thats assuming that I can always hit the same side (which usually I cant.)

So pretty much this is gonna be like an hour long battle of me dancing in and out of his missle range? lol
Old September 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Toxin injectors don't care about shields or armor, and in stock their damage should be fairly permanent.
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Private

Well I finally just parked right next to it and just unloaded on it. It was close but I destroyed it.....

However now I have a problem. Seems like there's a bug in the game or something. It says that after I destroy the station I should return to Karnak IV. Well I go there and try to talk to the Abbidon contact and nothing happens.... That ever happen to anyone? How can I fix this?
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
RX2000 said:
I can only fire like 2 or maybe 3 missles max at one time tho. His PD are gonna eat up at least one of those, leaving only 1 missle hitting him every 30 seconds or so.... Its gonna take hours to whittle 5000 shields and armor down, and thats assuming that I can always hit the same side (which usually I cant.)

So pretty much this is gonna be like an hour long battle of me dancing in and out of his missle range? lol
Yep, that's how I've managed to finish those missions. You end up having to circle the station trying to keep up with the damaged shield. Or going 'counter' to the revolution to get at it quicker. It takes a while, but it's what works. Do you want to solve the problem and win the mission/game or complain that it doesn't work the way you think it should?
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Private

the_tick_rules is on a distinguished road

I dunno if it's been mentioned but pick up a set of plasma missles. For me they fire up to 199 ls away. They also hold their damage out to max range the best and are 40kt instead of 50kt. In my opinion after the super torpedoes toxic injector and null space they're the finest in the game. Oh and yes fleet ops are uncoordinated in the game. The AI doesn't seem to do a good job telling your allies to focus.

Last edited by the_tick_rules; December 10th, 2008 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: fact addition
Old December 28th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Private

the_tick_rules is on a distinguished road

oh i forgot to add in this is my preferred solution to defeat space stations that have shorter range than plasma missles. go to your missles max range, crank the time factor up until 8 and just sling missles until the station is destroyed. Now that I have psychic flailers and toxic injectors i can slug it out up close and outlast but until then the above method was my solution of choice.