.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old January 11th, 2009, 11:52 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Them Germans were good

Anybody following this finding comments on weapon effectivness new arty routines etc useful? I am open to suggestions if want things I am not covering or further explanations as brushing over.
Have so far found that French tanks are hard to kill without 88s but we do have alternatives.
Play is a bit quicker than vs a human he would have needed more evidence of a river crossing for instance before main push off & air could have had a look at the river bank there to help fool him. Things like positioning for flank shots tends to be easier but trying to use reasonable tactics. Having said that crossing where I did would probably not have been wise.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:12 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Them Germans were good

Good day, Imp

Great AAR, Wish I had some grand advice ref the Arty Routine but I'm still learning as well.. One thing I do find though and that is from what I've read over the years we are now getting a better feel for the Arty Business.

I have noticed that as the batteries gain experience their reaction still does get better. FO's should do the same as time goes on if they should live so long.

River Xing's have been and always will be a b*tch my friend, but it looks like you are holding it together.

Hey I just lost a Bn (-) of FJ on the Rock of Freckin' Gibraltar mostly due to bad timing and lack of good LZ's

Not to mention the debacle at the Football Field!!

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:59 AM

General

Sir Bob

Okay I will continue my observations on weapon effectivness & stuff just wondered if anyone was realy bothered. I will swap 3 onboard with whom I have had very little contact problems so far (but I do place them near each other) for an offboard & see if I can determine if contact improves with timeframe or experience.
First game I have used any amount of offboard so had not noticed contact till now will buy one even if no intent to use from now on.
Ha Para drops near water are never a good idea & I suspect also not that many soft spots for landing & a decent defence.
Risking a FOO with the drop would have made things a lot easier if you have to use a 0 unit check his arty rating first or you could be shooting yourself in the foot. Having said that it wouldnt as most arty has been wasted on those tanks.
A further note if want to use a 0 unit which I rarely do select your HQ & press 5, bingo there they are.
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:00 PM

General

Default Damn fool

1 PAW team strolled nonchalantly into a mine field, still alive but doubt I will be able to persuade him to take any further part, another lost a man to 155 bat the AI is not silly its figured out dont want it to see for a reason.
Strong points were easy just 4 bunkers & 2 tanks left now.
Forces are in some sort of order & heading for respective locations.
HMG is causing problems so 2 MkIIs heading that way & 80mtrs on far bank have under sights.
FJs hiding from sniper till a vehicle can get there, no update on the mortar but at least 1 squad expect more. AI has covered the route to the road, top dog. It cant have placed some mines that far back on it?
Tanks attacking H-39s next go needed time to get in position for flanks or it would be another wasted effort.
Smoking out distant Char may seem exesive but 4 out of 6 shots hit with silly odds suspect the gunner is of Irish decent (luck of the). But there are most likely other eyes on that hill & 2nd wave is landing including trucks.
Everybody thats coming will be over in 2 turns.
Decided any troop unit whos Icon shows damage is going to sit this out as will just give AI more targets & I will soon have 5 inf comp to play with.
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM

General

Default Now were cooking with gas

PAWs took out both tanks HEAT is not as effective but does the job, ATG that fired at first took a casualty.
Pioneers have hit 3 bunkers with varying results 1 each destroyed routed & damaged.
3 H-39s one destroyed one routed & third got a mech assault by infantry in a HT.
Threw 2 grenades then assaulted hopeing for a rout but got a kill, result.
Other situations static at present but troops landing are finding moving hard going as the ground is pretty churned up.
For a laugh sent 3 planes to see what hit chance they have on that sniper. Going to cancel 2 as I feel flight path might make them think my tanks are nice target, think ahead Mr P
An ammo truck is off it will be moving to cover behind some trees so Pioneers & PAWs will be looking for a ride to it.
The Bunkers were solid with mine cover good job changed the plan.
Arty fire is now sporadic I think because I have a decent front now so its trying to guess my next move. Probably hit troops in HMG area & ahead of me along road is my guess. If it switches back to landing will be to late again, I think. Its eyes are gone. Oh FOO AC is over PSW223 I think & one FOO has just jumped in the water.
The other has got on his bike & is heading for a good location to see units on 2 hills & a decent amount of far bank including some Flags.
Have 1 flag near 2 others by sniper lot.
Going to risk a couple of planes making a pass on Char to see if they can spot its freinds.
Turn is 18 I think.
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Anybody following this finding comments on weapon effectivness new arty routines etc useful? I am open to suggestions if want things I am not covering or further explanations as brushing over.
Have so far found that French tanks are hard to kill without 88s but we do have alternatives.
Play is a bit quicker than vs a human he would have needed more evidence of a river crossing for instance before main push off & air could have had a look at the river bank there to help fool him. Things like positioning for flank shots tends to be easier but trying to use reasonable tactics. Having said that crossing where I did would probably not have been wise.
Well - I did mention the volley-fire with 37mm guns to go for the track break/abandon way of dealing with chars B in another post.

Also - the 47mm gun in the Jpz 1 is rather hot, even without any sabot (comes later, but by then you are in the desert and the thing is too vulnerable there IMHO). It is reliable on class 8 (char b1 bis turret front) till 200 metres, class 7 (sides) till 400, and class 6 (turret sides, kilt and H39/R35 best armour) to 550. Under 500 you will get some weak point shots if to-hit chance is 80-90+. ( Best AP is a point or 2 more from WH size, but not reliable e.g you might get an 8 result at up to 800m but I would not bet the farm on it !).

I don't bother with 88s as German in my core - too much bother to cart about and set up in an unnoticed place (or they get shelled). Useful as support if defending perhaps. For France 40, I do bother to get a couple of sections of Jpz 1 and use these in close support of the tank platoons. It needs to operate "up front" as it has no great range. Nice toy.

(You can get the same Czechoslovakian gun as an ATG in 4/40+, it's miles better than the 37mm door knocker.)

2 88 flak 36 and transports = about 230 points.
For that, I can get 3 sections of 2 Jpz1, which are SP and somewhat less vulnerable.

France 40 = Jagdpanzer 1, for the German player who knows his kit.

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:27 PM

General

Cheers Andy that saves me trawling through the units as German OOB is big & gives me a more viable alternative than troop assault. Could not justify getting PAWs on loan.

Fully aware of track hit option not reliable but if can hurt it bail seems more likely.
The trouble is they are dug in so its probably not going to happen unless a plane gets lucky which is why I took em.

Are you saying if have a high to hit chance more probability of weak spot hit. Makes sense aimed for the drivers plate not the tank.

My view on 88s the same if the map looks bad might get a couple for a defend battle.
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:39 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Cheers Andy that saves me trawling through the units as German OOB is big & gives me a more viable alternative than troop assault. Could not justify getting PAWs on loan.

Fully aware of track hit option not reliable but if can hurt it bail seems more likely.
The trouble is they are dug in so its probably not going to happen unless a plane gets lucky which is why I took em.

Are you saying if have a high to hit chance more probability of weak spot hit. Makes sense aimed for the drivers plate not the tank.

My view on 88s the same if the map looks bad might get a couple for a defend battle.
- Dug in means less chance of hull/track hits, more turret hits
- firing up from lower altitudes, ditto

Weak spot hit needs to be under 501m, 80+(may be 90+? I forget)% to-hit chance, and I think the firer may needs to be better than pinned status too, and is based on a skill roll as well so a 60 EXP less chance of it than a 100 EXPer.

Andy
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM

General

Default Panzer Bob

Keep us updated on whether you manage to pull it back from the brink,
situation sounds a bit shaky can you see the abyss, teetering on the edge comes to mind from your post
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM

General

Default Turn 19

Routed tank was killed
Plane pass on sniper 6% no effect
2 planes made a pass on HMG hit chance 12%
The MkIIs there now twidling there thumbs as planes destroyed it with 3 hits.
They have moved out of Chars smoke screen & he has scored another hit for no damage, they are a bit closer & heading for woods & cover.
2 bunkers left Pioneers are having trouble as arty has got heavy there & arty is hitting just inland from landing zone, 2 squads vapourised.
Ammo truck nearly in place & most stuff is on route to location.
Sdkfz 7 fired on by an unseen S-35 survived but lost half its passengers.
Start of next turn can see its right on map edge planes missed it & protects route to road, may have friends & sure it passed up previous fire opportunities.