.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road
Default Arrow Fend - Still too high

Arrow fend is still being valued too high for no reason. I'm really, really, really sick of my air mages in Sloth consistently casting arrow fend instead of either mass flight or fog warriors. I've spent hundreds of gems outfitting these guys with air boosters and flinging them around the map so that they can buff my troops, and they're basically [censored] useless.

The enemy army doesn't even have any archers.

Jazzepi
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arrow Fend - Still too high

Oh, I hadn't registered it was you who posted about arrow fend last time...

I now had a similar problem in the same game. My communion master scripted [communion master, undead mastery (x4)] to take out the huge opposing undead army (5000'ish) decided to cast bone grinding instead...

Then, for some strange reason, after his script ran out, he decided to use the gems he had left because of using the cheaper bone grinding, to cast one undead mastery.

We're late end-game now, managing freespawn & insanity, dozens of ritual spells & forgers, and especially carefully scripting huge armies takes a couple of hours by now. (hell, watching that one battle we're talking about start to finish took almost an hour) After seeing all that effort blown away, I have to say my motivation to start on the next turn is very low now...
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:26 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I haven't had any problems scripting Fog Warriors. That would have cost me my only real army.

The only workaround I can think of is to have an earlier mage cast Arrow fend to avoid the override.
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

If you accidentally have new summoned units without Air Shield, I seriously suspect, Arrow Fend will be cast again.
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Major General

Quote:
ano said:
If you accidentally have new summoned units without Air Shield, I seriously suspect, Arrow Fend will be cast again.
Not to mention battlefield wide AoE spells actually aren't that big. With 5k ermorian troops on the field is only covers about a 5th of them.

Jazzepi
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

What? It really doesn't affect everyone? I've never seen that. Haven't played a lot with that many troops, though.
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Nice news... Is it a bug or WAD?
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:04 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Hmm, they are coded as AoE 999, but I thought that 999 was translated into whole battle field. I'll have to ask JK.
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thejeff said:
What? It really doesn't affect everyone? I've never seen that. Haven't played a lot with that many troops, though.
I've seen it often enough, I thought it was widely known. Of course, we are talking about ridiculous numbers of troops here. My own 1200 'small' army seemed insignificant compared to the mass of undead comming my way.
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Major General

Quote:
Amhazair said:
Quote:
thejeff said:
I've seen it often enough, I thought it was widely known. Of course, we are talking about ridiculous numbers of troops here. My own 1200 'small' army seemed insignificant compared to the mass of undead comming my way.
Yeah but I think this unfairly punishes Ermor, in particular.

For example, your 1k worth of troops is completely blanketed by mass regen, antimagic, and army of lead. Fine, good, that's how the spell is suppose to work.

Ermor, on the other hand, being forced to use subpar troops that it has to bring en masse, simply does not get the same benefit out of the same spells. Did you see that green glowing mass in the center of my army? That was the sword of Auglmalter only affecting about 1/5th or 1/6th of my troops. However, had I been playing another nation with less guys, it probably would have hit all of them.

I'm probably never going to play LA Ermor again. They're an absolute nightmare to play with the defunct "battlefield wide" effects, and I'm having some difficulty believing that they'll still be a teir one force with the way their domkill has been increased so dramatically.

To be completely honest, I'm extremely frustrated with this whole arrow fend thing. In the last 3 really, really big battles I've been in, my air mages have spammed it. I also specifically avoided using Rigor Mortis because I felt like mass flight and fog warriors would be more powerful. In retrospect, I've basically wasted huge amounts of resources doing that. I wish I had just kept my air mages around as a batallion of ICBMs with seeking arrow instead of trying to do anything else with them.

Jazzepi