Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:00 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open Team Battle - Forming Two Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmisher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post

The battle was completed about two days ago.
So there were 5 people per side and it took 2 months about to finish?
We didn't really get started until the 1st week in August. We had to organize teams, negotiate purchase limits and then actually start the game. I think it came out to about 25 turns in 35-38 days.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM

Private

cyberdisc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummbar View Post
This sounds like a really neat idea. I hope somebody takes the time to do an AAR.
After each turn, the player emails a situation report to his team. Which so far, is better reading than most AARs. When the battle is over I'm sure we can post them.

The AAR/sitreps have been posted and can be read here:

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boar...2322&page=last

posts 92,93,and 94

cheers,
Cross
Can you put the AAR docs here please? I don't have an account at The Blitz.

Thanks
cd
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

AAR (German communication)

PART 1

Here is ALL the communication from the German team in chronological order as it appears in my emails, including the confusion when the same turn was played twice.

Start
Ok everyone. Sorry for the delay.
I have included a "General Plan" or our side. It’s a Meeting Engagement With the objectives spread across the center of the map.
The forces I selected are;
x3 Mech Recce Section
x2 PzGr Company
x2 PzIV Platoon
x1 75mm ATG Platoon
x2 PzVI (Tiger I)
x1 AA Platoon (20mm)
All Arty is made of the PzGR Co organic 81cm vehicles. The Support vehicles are 75mm (short) as well.

If you look at the map I am thinking a 2 pronged, but fairly wide advance, led by the Recon units

with the Tigers and ATG forming a shield/screen between the 2 forces. Since we are Mech we can detach and forces from one side and shift to the left or right as needed, hopefully with pretty good speed AND behind the protection of the screen in the middle.
ASLO, the Pbem PW will be katie1114.
DD

- o O o -

Turn 1
Turn 1 is in the history books and posted to the Blitz forums for the
Brit team.
DD

- o O o -

Turn 3
Contact briefly with the following enemy forces before they dropped off the radar, did not get any shots on them. I suspect the Brits are playing hide behind the treeline, pop out, take a shot or 2 then pop back;
HEX 61,107 - M3/M5 HT
HEX 64,74 - Cromwell - I
Recommend dismounting and pressing scouts forward to try and draw them out, then pull up the armour to engage. I have unloaded the ATG in the center so they can start covering the woodlines where the Cromwell popped up.
DD

- o O o -

Turn 4
Hi All
DD are right!
a Daimler showed up at hex 61,107 but missed.
The Cromwell at 64,74 destroyed a HT in the hedgerow

a Cromwell appeared on the road hex 61,90 and killed an HT/75mm (and the leader G0 riding in it) then it popped smoke

a second Cromwell rolled into the city square of Melville hex 65,47 and killed the third HT

At the end of the turn artillery 5,5 in hit up north (by mistake I had fast arty on)

This is a typical Cross force - and he is deadly with it. We better find those 5,5 in gun and counter fire at them.

I moved a little forward and dismounted many of the troops, I set the AT groups to range 1.

The HT with AT I did not move, they are too vulnerable in the open.

Before the next plays the turn (5), I recommend that he downloads the British turn 4, watches the replay before he unzip and plays turn 5.

In that we one can get a general flow of the battle (I think - I did not do it myself)
Stonefire / jesper

- o O o -

Turn 5
Hey Guys,

-There is or was a Brit MG in the big building SE of 87. I moved two AT units (T) to cover flanks along road N. and S. of that area, with MG (Q) and 251 w/ MG able to cover that building. The 251 let go some Z fire at the building with some success - still can't see the Brit MG though.

-N platoon, still loaded, is moved further E. to cover S. flank. I recommend that someone move up M platoon toward the treeline with the goal to be to take the area around the big building. PzIV platoon (W) moved up slowly to support.

-Moved O platoon up to treeline N.E. of 73, approaching a building beyond treeline...caution recommended approaching that building. 251 with 7.75 gun covering on hilltop N of 75 which can cover open area between 73 and 74.

-Tigers moved up slowly toward hill NE of 59, with a towed ATG ® in support. Moved up slowly the AAA to cover the Tigers.

-Reece units with loaded AT units moved up toward road coming S. out of Hereleville. Unloaded ATG guns to cover open area SE of Herelville.

-G Platoon up to very Eastern edge of town at big building (church?). They are supported by 251 w/ 7.75 and MG (I) on little hill east of town. Two squads of E platoon moved up to take buildings NE of VH also supported by 251 7.75 and MG. Moved up PzIV platoon V to support...not too close to town though, not very good tank country.

-S0 recce with AT unit on board moving up to cover road junction N. of Hereville near 17.

-F platoon up toward paved and dirt road junction NW of 18. Two 251's w/ 7.75 covering big wheat field and North flank.

I'm very concerned about our North Flank. If any armour comes at us from the very North...we have little to slow it and no good way to get any armour up there if it happens. I don't really have any suggestions to fix that other than to move the Northern most PzIV platoon that way, but then there is no armour to support the guys going into the village.
Nick S. /GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Nice round up.
I think his armour is in town & South of sending a squad to monitor might be more sense than diverting tanks.
Its taking long enough to get them in position anyway.
If he tries flanking it may be infantry trying to see where we are.
Surprised at his progress either just a few riders up at front or reasonable transport.
I think he beat us to town & has people looking down South
Brits are using hard to spot infantry to see where we are virtually guarantee any tank attack will be seen & met so need caution or to find them first. IMHO
IMP

- o O o -

I see the Brits posted they lost a unit. Does anyone have a confirmation and if so what was it? I know he had at least 1 Cromwell near the center but it seems to have broken contact.
Reference the flanks. I am wondering if we need to push a unit or 2 all the way to the map edge in case they trying getting something around the ends?
Also, I am thinking we halt the 81mm MTR HT and call come arty onto suspected positions. Nothing heavy, just a few rounds, then cancel it, see if we can stir him up or get him to move where we can get eyes on him.
DD

- o O o -

There was nothing in the turn 4 replay showing anything killed (subterfuge, maybe?).
I think we have the North flank covered, with eyes anyway and should have the South covered in a turn or two. I've got the feeling they are sucking us into the town and I don't think we've enough infantry to clear it. Leaving two options:

1) We stop advancing for a bit and see if they probe us, or
2) We concentrate on one area and advance to contact.

If we go with option 2, we probably should put what little arty we have in front of it. IMHO...

In any regard, we probably should come to a consensus - so we're not attempting 5 different things.
Nick S. / GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Apparently, the Brit turn before mine uploaded the wrong turn (3 instead of 4) - So I actually played turn 3 instead of 5.

So, ignore my previous sitrep. Cross said he'd email 2ndLt Fjun to have him upload the correct turn file. If I'm awake when that happens, I'll grab it - if not, its fair game for anyone.

I little confusion, but I think it's worked out...fog of battle and all that.
Nick S. / GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

I agree with you.
Town is a problem due to good use of roads I think they are there in force with Cromwell's to waiting to pounce.
We don't really have the men or arty to go into town it will be costly

Could go for the flags near our gold spot & clear that area let him come to us in town, Tigers will die there to.
Consensus on where he is anyone.
There were some Cromwell's & undoubtedly men at the end of the long field near Tigers scout HT was in it.
John / IMP

- o O o -

TURN 6?
Hey guys,
Here's my sitrep for turn 6

Basically in the replay - he went after an AT unit in the South with full fury of two Cromwells and supporting infantry. He also got a 250 recce and a marksman chewed up on of our infantry squads E. of gold spot.

-F platoon moved up to road junction in the N. supported by one MG (I) and one AT unit.

-AT unit moved up covering road junction E. of 17.

-E platoon pushed farther into town with supporting MG up to cover area in front of big building. G platoon moved into the big building (I accidentally drove a 251 into the big building, ooops, didn't get stuck though).

-PzIV platoon V up to continue to support E and G E. of town. Moved a two tank squad around back of big building to get out of that fatal funnel between buildings where we lost a 251 w/ loaded squad.

-Further S., O2 squad w/ one Tiger and a 251 engaged a brit rifle squad in treeline NW of 59. Brits took a few casualties and retreated. There is a brit recce m/c squad in same tree line further N.

-Unloaded an ATG on hill N. of 75 to support our southern most infantry

-J1 squad engaged a Brit rifle squad in trees S. of 73, took 2 casualties and retreated. An AT unit then engaged the Brit squad supported by a 250. Brits took some casualties and retreated W. J1 rallied back a bit.

-M platoon continued forward to cross road. M2 located the sniper that hit our squad on the Brit turn. They engaged, but took a casualty and retreated. A supporting 251 and 250 moved up and engaged sniper with some additional units putting long range fire on him. He didn't die, but he's routed.

-N platoon continued working along S. most flank

-PzIV platoon moving up slowly to support J and M platoons. They may be too far away to do any good if the Brits move up armour into J and M.

I believe he is concentrated in front of J and O squads and in the town. There is at least one halftrack with infantry in that area behind trees. I directed two mortars to hit that area.

Cheers and happy hunting,
Nick S. / GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Hey guys,
Is anybody on track or able to take the next turn...I think the other team is getting a bit antsy? I offered to take it, even though it would be two in a row for me, but they didn't seem to like that idea...
Cheers,
Nick S. / GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Turn 7?
Spotted 2-3 Cromwell in each of the vicinities of zones 58 and 73. They were moving and shooting so not sure their end locations. They are also dropping a lot of 6lb and 5.5lb arty on the southern flank. Try to keep the men spread out and keep vehicles back from the woodlines as they are moving up shooting and moving back to cover.
DD

- o O o -

Turn 8?
Guys we need some sort of plan here, I can’t figure it out but my synopsis of the situation.
Most of our forces are doing squat with heavy concentrations on both flanks which are of no use as cant use speed as in transport as no support.
Another concentration by town that as I said will be more costly than we can afford with meagre arty we have. It is also not a place for tanks so they are all just sitting there.
Where the action is happening is the wrong place he has dropped at least one ATG back in a good place to get flank shots if go for Cromwell's hiding spots I think so when tanks turn up they will be in trouble & our troop support will be gone so no eyes.

I would suggest smoking & regrouping to get guys out of the hole they are in. Our ATGs should be behind our troops to catch out his hit & run Cromwell's the one on the hill will die because he saw it setup arty incoming. Tigers have no infantry screen so easy meat brit troops are on the way.

We need a position where our troops can see whats going on & tanks can hit & run or sit just behind trees ready to pop out if draw his tanks out. Your call but we are fighting & dying a platoon at a time by getting ahead of the armour & being all over the shop.
Apologies if sounds critical but we are set up to get wiped out in my view, town guys probably last once he destroys the South & swings round. We have more transport as our main advantage we need away to exploit it.
John
IMP

- o O o -

Hi John
I think you analysis is right on the spot.
Looks frightening close to my first encounters with Cross - those Brits and at this time is just his game.
I fully support your views
Regards
Jesper / Stonefire

- o O o -

In that case group or team leader needs to make a decision otherwise one half will be doing one thing while the others do another. These are not nancy boys in charge of the Brits never played them but from a quick look at the ladder we are facing seasoned commanders, oh heck We will lose units & ground if regroup most likely but think thats on the cards anyway. Might throw them off a bit if we are very lucky
John / IMP

- o O o -

Well . . . I can't take this turn since I just played the last one. :-(
Whoever grabs it;

Pull any vehicles back from the woodlines.
Move the armour up for keyhole shots but keep them off the woodlines as well.
Use smoke to cover the infantry as they regroup if at all possible and spread them out since the Brits are dropping both 6 and 5.5 lbr Arty.
Since it seems they spotted a Tiger maybe we can use that as bait to draw out their tanks or use it to keep them away form that area depending on how aggressive they are.

Basically try to set up the defence where we are or pull back to better positions but try not to give up too much ground.

One the next person plays the turn I will grab it next and play that turn, Turn 8 I think. I will then get us some good screenshots and we will come up with a plan based on the situation at that time. the Mortars should be hitting by then as well (if not sooner) so we will have some more cover.
DD

- o O o -

Turn 7
OK
I have now played turn 7.
I pulled our tanks and sdkfx 9 and ordinary HT's back from woodlines where they were exposed.
( a few of the stayed where I think they have good chances for reaction fire
I pulled infantry back behind hedgerows - or further back where they were in very forward positions.

I two places (in the center and up north I let it be as is where (save for the Ht's)

I reduced the AT groups to a range of 1 hex, and I reduced the AT guns range to 8.

At the end there was a air attack form a single plane - a HT was immobilised, and the two tanks around it are probably spotted as the other tanks in the open must be (those around the large building in the center)
Jesper / Stonefire

- o O o -

Turn 8
I re-positioned only a few units. They are still dumping arty in the same locations but no damage this time ( maybe a little suppression but mostly misses). The brought in a spitfire (with 20mm cannons) that strafed a Tiger. No damage, but both had to have been spotted. Most of the enemy units are still out of sight except for 3-4 Rifle/Para squads.

Whoever gets it next, move the Tigers AND move the AA vehicles into positions that can overwatch any incoming aircraft targeting the Tigers.
If needed, shift any infantry units to better spotting positions but hold off on pushing forward (its a 30 turn battle) until we can spot more units and see where their armour shifted to.

Our Mortars should be hitting soon so shift them as needed to suppress any units they can be shifted onto.

I have some screenshots so more info will follow shortly.
DD

- o O o -

Turn 9
Hey Guys,
In keeping with our "tactical repositioning," I didn't move much around. They got off a few more shots and got at least one more halftrack still in the treeline and caused another to piss himself...he wouldn't rally, so will probably be burning at the end of this next turn.

Orienting S to N:

-left N platoon in the very South pretty much alone. They are all situated behind treeline along road. I moved the one AT unit with them up to trees along road, where he can see up and down road - with range set to 0 - hopefully no one else will see him.

-loaded up a MG42 and moved it further S. with M platoon behind treeline along road. With the exception of the Sdkf's, they had no MG support - they still lack any anti-armour or tank support except for the AT unit mentioned above.

-One of the other MG42's east of 88 took some pot shots at a rifle squad moving in trees SW of where the Tigers are. They were spotted by 01 squad, who also fired at them. I intended to have them smoke after shooting, but didn't realize they were out of smoke...they may be punished this turn. I believe this is an attempted flank move to get at where they know one Tiger is located. Definitely some Cromwells in woods behind these guys. Anticipate a hard charge at us in this area, near 59.

-rallied a one man crew that has good eyes on the field around 74, also moved a PZIV into a good keyhole spot to cover most of the field. ATG's have good position to cover this and field North of it - East of big town.

-Paras spotted in Southern most tip of big town and in central part up N. of town

-I consolidated E squad, who IMHO were too spread out in the town. One squad spotted a Para squad in house across street. I smoked and did not engage as no other squad could assist them. Also moved up an MG to support them. E Platoon has no armour support, but I doubt that they'll move armour into the town this early. Those Brit Paras are TOUGH and heavily armored - that will be a hard fight if they come in force.

-I didn't adjust our Northern most platoons...quiet up there for now.

-set one available mortar with other target hexes along treeline NW of 59.

Heavy arty hitting us near the middle of the map where the 3 MG's where positioned S. of big town. Also a little East of there, pinging a PZIV.

I think we are probably good to wait it out a bit. I'd anticipate probing infantry movement to contact followed by heavy and close in armour right behind them. We should keep the halftracks hidden as much as possible, because we may need to move guys quickly from the N and S flanks to trouble spots. I believe they will work hard to get at the Tigers, and they probably are pretty sure where they are. Their Paras and Rifle squads have satchel charges and good AT mines - if they get close the Tigers are toast!
Cheers,
Nick S. /GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Turn 10
Hey
Sorry guys made a quite a few mistakes this turn, leaving a few units too exposed - you loose the flow of the battle playing this way.
Not much - I routed a squad near 59 and one near 88
in the building in hex 64 109 there is a sniper, and also one just south of 59 - and I guess they have more scouting for them
Regards
Jesper / Stonefire

- o O o -

END of PART 1
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:01 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

GERMAN AAR PART 2

PART 2

Sit Rep turn 11

Town
Left a bit defending the top flank but moving against building with 2 flags in force can switch to group of buildings around 67,39 objective is to control these taking town side on not head on, lack of troops is a problem. need to leave a defending force covering for a sweep towards the Church, some armour with short shots if he does it.
Also one ATG sort of covers the other is pointless (I know I placed) if anybody knows if its safe pick it up & move probably to cover town closer to the church.
AA dont know what one was protecting moved both (not sensible) they need to be close to Tigers no real chance of hitting anything above 10 hexes.
A spitfire came in attacked the GRW (think) by 19 so has seen my build up for town so possibly switch tactics. May cause him to switch arty if it stops definitely change to the building group & pull back hes redirecting.
Tigers they are still highly vulnerable & doing nothing moving to reinforce other armour, they can lead attack as tough buggers.
There is at least an inf platoon between 59 & Brit flag, one is on the road between the 2 buildings East of flag. Our 2 squads probably lost in next couple of turns as the Tigers would have been.
The South
Marksman in building 64,109 squad in trees 63,110 SW of 88
NE of 88 round 69,102 are 3 Cromwell's & a squad, bound to be more & they have to be getting short on smoke now.
Moved units so they are in a position to attack & defensive line behind treeline running SE of 88, stops tanks killing our squads.
Heavy arty is striking MMG squads here around 70,106 (German flag) which could be a problem.
Left tanks East of this position in place in case he leaves open & Tigers moving that way. If can when ready launch attack from here as longer shots then from South group. We have PF so some squads in HTs can Mech assault to assist, again if we have enough squads to pull off is a problem.
Arty 2 left attacking where they were 3rd redirected to this group had to move the other for range but suggest smokes to take out any support to NW probably an ATG covering I would have one there or another tank.
Summary
Note I have taken a gamble several HTs are loaded
So objective North of town with some units to stop counter attack or move against tank group, probably not both or tank attack second. Depends if he redirects arty.
Get Tigers with other armour.
Gamey but we have lots of HTs use them to draw fire if need be when attack & as an AA screen if needed.
Sorry but forgot where his second arty struck find what’s pinned using in 2 groups of 2 batteries
Flanks turns available soon irrelevant wont make it anywhere
IMP

- o O o -

Turn 12?
Hey Guys,
Sorry, I hit the blue arrow before getting a good look at the map. So, I'll have to recount from memory.
First, we lost one of the Tigers on their turn. Brit infantry made a good push into tree line just south of Tigers, routed our couple of squads, suppressed the Tiger, and then a Cromwell finished the job. They also hit hard South of where the Tigers set (across the road) - caused a squad to retreat and destroyed a halftrack.

Up North in the big town, they hit at an AT unit - a little damage, but they rallied. What that gave up was where they are concentrated and the location of another Cromwell.

Essentially, they've got probably an understrength company of paras in the area of building with two UK flags - with a least one Cromwell in support. I began a concentration of our guys in the buildings directly opposite the 2 flag building. I routed one para squad and suppressed another - with a couple losses. The Cromwell, if it stays put, is toast. I continued moving our guys down into the town from the North to help with the assault on the 2 flag building. I moved two PIV's that way to help, close but not too close. I believe if we play smart, we can take the 2 flag building in three or four turns.

He has more forces in the South of the town, which they may move up to help defend the 2 flag building - but the area around the church is pretty well covered if they decide to move that direction.

Mid-map is much worse. I moved the second Tiger way back in the field, hoping the Cromwell will attempt to punch through after him. I began moving an ATG down to that field, hoping to get set if more armour attempts to get at the Tiger. I positioned a AAA in the woods right behind the Tiger...we need to keep him alive as long as possible.

Further South, I moved up the PZIV's into some keyhole slots for better shots. Way South, I pushed back at the Brits moving across the road into the treeline. I reinforced the guys there with the platoon that was loaded and moving up that way. I routed one rifle squad, but it cost us a halftrack in the bargain.

Two mortars are set to hit in 1 turn at the area where they came at the Tigers from and two more set to hit the 2 flag building in 2 turns. I believe we have some momentum here. If we move slowly where we are concentrated, and knock out a couple Cromwells, we are back in this thing...
Cheers,
Nick S. /GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Well thats heart warming thought it was the wild moves to try & form an assault group that had done us in. I moved the Tigers little choice as said they were nearly on them & would have lost one anyway most likely.

Nice report at least 2 Cromwells in town probably 3 if have not moved from game start, hopefully one or more further South covering for if Tiger tried bolting that way. They may well have placed an ATG to the West of the buildings of memory of terrain is correct or send someone that way for a look.
Don’t mind losing just want to take something for our troubles as we keep being on the receiving end.

A question if you can remember, did all 4 bats of arty fall if not 2 will probably target the town.
IMP

- o O o -

I don't believe any of our mortars fired at the end of their last turn...two are set to fire at the end of this one. I believe that's correct...I could be wrong.
Nick S. /GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Sorry I was talking about their stuff if all are firing push on building can be grouped reasonably tightly, its heavy stuff. If some or all stopped its probably switching so might want to try plan B the Cromwells in South or actually pushing into the woods instead
They may move more towards the Tiger plus any others near the centre in an effort to get him. Anybody with ideas if he goes after the Tiger do chip in, or any other options. In fairness both attacks are borderline on success as we have lost a few men but would rather go down trying. The other option is fighting withdrawal trying to draw out the Cromwells but not really looked if feasible, would help keep loses down. Thats quite a few points in his arty, think 4 offboard & a couple of Spits though we spent quite a lot on transport & 2 Tigers.
IMP

- o O o -

Oh yes, their heavy stuff did come in. I believe they concentrated on the middle of the map, South of the Tigers with some stuff hitting South of where the Tigers were.

I think it'll take them a turn or two to get it re-set on where we've concentrated, plus they'll have to back off a bit as we are nose to nose in a few spots.

I'm cautiously optimistic about 2ndLtFjun's post that "something's burning in the square." I'm assuming he's speaking of the area directly in front of the church, and I didn't put anything near there - but I had it covered by 2 PZIV's and Sdkf with a gun. I hoping we got something there...it shouldn't be any of ours burning there (at least that I can recall).
Nick S. /GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Well done that man got half a Tiger back.
There were 2 heavy bats hitting the woods which held our MGs. Just South of 3 Cromwell's, if it did not hit its shifting big stuff 155s Paras will get whats left if not careful.
Sorry deleted last report or could be clearer its in it.
If they redirect & do not do something with the South Cromwell's we might get an opening as he is probably bleeding the area to keep eyeballs on the Tiger. Tanks in the wood across the road from destroyed Tiger may become vulnerable if he heads up that road on foot.
IMP

- o O o -

I agree with you about the IV's. Maybe we should shift them down closer to our infantry in far South of Map. They are probing hard there, but mostly infantry. I'd suggest moving the Tiger back and hiding it for a few turns (provided their aircraft don't find it).
This will give us more punch down south, but it will leave a big hole in the middle. However, if they punch through the hole rapidly - we can hit them from the sides and behind. If they stay off the road, maybe our AT guns can slow them down if the push into the field after the Tiger. I think we should filter the AT guns so they don't fire on infantry. If they do push up the road, then we may be able to shift our guys furthest S. up fairly quickly - on tanks and the few HT's we have left...they can't be everywhere at once - at least not in strength.
Nick S./ GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

I will go with that, even if he does not follow with tanks splits his force & not a lot to find, wondering if he only has one Spit. Suggest if do again team leader keeps a record of what arty does to get call times & clear idea of whats out there.
IMP

- o O o -

Turn 14?
I played the last turn.

Things are not too bad in the North. I killed a bunch ion inf and most of his squads are routed/retreating. The Center and South I pull back some and pushed some forward. I did manage to retreat one of his squads down there too. All of his arty is missing or hitting his own so that is good.

Whoever takes it next push forward in the north but be wary in the center and south, maybe we can keep drawing him out. Looks like he is getting impatient and will be exposing some men in the next turn or 2.
DD

- o O o -

Turn 15?
Things are still not too bad in the North...

In the replay, we killed a Cromwell in front of the 2 flag building with a panzerfaust. They made some effort to push us off our attack there, but were overall unsuccessful with the exception of the loss of another Sdkf. They seem to be probing our forces around the church and took out our MG there. Just some infantry, no armour seen there yet.

It gets worse in the middle map. They have realized we have a pretty big hole in the center, and are moving in the armour heavy to take advantage of it. Their armour is moving in force down the East/West paved road in the middle of the map and are pretty much having their way with anything we have in their path.

They came hard at our guys concentrated on the tree line in the South. One MG retreated, but the rest held firm. None of our arty fell.

I continued pressure on the 2 flag building, retreating one squad of paras. I believe there is only one para squad left in the building with any fight left. I tried to find a 2nd Cromwell that took out a sdkf in front of the 2 flag building - I don't think it was the one that got taken out, but if not they have hid it well or run away.

I repositioned the Tiger, a PzIV, and an ATG to ambush anything coming down the paved road in the middle of the map. We are running out of units in that area to cover. I could have moved up additional PzIV's, but decided to move them forward to support our guys in the South.

I left the guys in the South alone in their current positions, as they seem to be having trouble pushing through us there. However, I'd expect some arty to fall on them soon.

Their heavy arty came, unexpectedly, right at our units in front of the 2 flag building and the area around the church. I'm sure those guys are somewhat suppressed.
Cheers,
Nick S. /GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Turn 16
Hi All

To be honest I think this is lost.

The replay showed them killing a panzer, two ½tracks, immobilising a ½track, killing an AT group and routing a couple of squads.

I enclose 4 prints of the situation.

I could not move much as many of the units was pinned, I laid smoke and pulled unsupported tanks and mortars out of reach from infantry closing in.

Some general points I will mention (just my opinion of cause):

Tanks and HT should not be unsupported by infantry especially NOT in woods, unless we are sure that there is no hostile infantry in close range
We shall not rely on reaction fire at range over 3 hexes from tanks (the one destroyed killed a HT, but had no fire left for the 3 Cromwells attacking it)
Our leaders (0 units (C0, D0 and so on) shall NOT be in the front line, when they are pinned, killed or routed they can't rally the other troops) I counted at least 3 leaders far forward from the rest of the platoon.
For the same reason, when we have a platoon of tanks they shall stay close to the leader on each other, for rally and for support.

In the end his artillery hit us hard in the town, the infantry behind the hedgerow and the two tanks in the woods east of this infantry.

Regards

Jesper / Stonefire

- o O o -

Turn 17
Hey Guys,

OK, I'd give you the good news and then the bad news...but there really isn't any good news.

We got another Cromwell by the 2 Flag building. I believe another one is lurking S. of that building, as it popped up and routed some of our infantry in the town a block east of the 2 flag building. They moved up closer to the Church and probably have at least one infantry unit across the street behind smoke.

Down South we are pretty much screwed. Most the infantry is routed and unable to rally. He's got two Cromwells in the woods that will probably head S. toward our two PzIV's led by infantry. I moved a HT between the tanks, so that any infantry moving S. through the woods will hit it first - hopefully to be suppressed before suppressing our tanks to be Cromwell fodder.

Our tanks, for the most part, are in dreadful positions - but we don't have any infantry left to support them. I'd recommend getting set up somewhere where infantry can't sneak up on them - nowhere on this map is very good tank country.

A Spitfire came over the North map edge and hit our guys holding the crossroad N. of the town. The Spit killed a HT and probably gave them a good look at our disposition around the crossroad (and VH).

Overall, not a pretty situation...just not enough infantry left to be effective.
Nick S./GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Turn 18

Nick - your effort down south wasn't enough - the two Panzers and the halftrack are dead and so are the infantry.

In the center I am moving our panzers and the Tiger and everything else (not much ) north so we can concentrate our last stand east of the town.

The troops in the town area almost routed, I pulled our tanks and halftracks to the east outskirts of the town.

But it is all in vain, we seems to have lost at least half of our troops and half of our players.

I suggest that we kip our hats to the British team and surrender.
Jesper / Stonefire

- o O o -

Stonefire, Did you just play the turn? I can grab the next one so we can review the situation and go from there.
DD

- o O o -

Yep
I just played it
Regards
Jesper / Stonefire

- o O o -

Turn 19
Guys,

After the last turn it appears that this is a lost cause. I fired a parting shot or two down with our remaining units down South, and then started them up North as fast as possible. It does not appear that they are pushing hard to catch up with our guys running away down South, which probably means they're reinforcing their units in the town.

We are weak and strung out in the town up North. I lost a scouting vehicle, but discovered that there are two Cromwells and a HT behind the 2 flag building. We can probably get into the building, but will have to contend with those tanks and the HT to take the flags. All our infantry is either routed or heavily suppressed, with the exception of one or two squads.

I'm always willing to fight it out to the bitter end, but without infantry - to launch any type of attack will be impossible. To go into a defence with the few remaining tanks and APC's will be equally futile. I'll defer to our Team Leader, but it may time to cut our losses...
Nick S./GUNSLNGR

- o O o -

Turn 20
OK, I played Turn 20. It doesn't look good although we still probably have more armour than they do but no dismounts to protect them against infantry attacks.

Whats the general consensus, are we cede victory to the Brits?
DD

- o O o -

Turn 21
Hi all
Considering that there are only 4 turn left - lets play it to the bitter end - I Have just played turn 21'
Jesper / Stonefire

- o O o -

And thats all.

I will attach the British AAR as a zipped MS Word doc

Attached Files
File Type: zip Brit AAR Part 1 and 2.zip (150.8 KB, 322 views)
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummbar View Post
This sounds like a really neat idea. I hope somebody takes the time to do an AAR.
After each turn, the player emails a situation report to his team. Which so far, is better reading than most AARs. When the battle is over I'm sure we can post them.

The AAR/sitreps have been posted and can be read here:

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boar...2322&page=last

posts 92,93,and 94

cheers,
Cross
As an observer of the axis side (never played a turn, but got all the sit reps) I have to agree with stoneface in the Blit posts, the axis didn't communicate well.

I wonder what would happen if the sit reps could only be so many words. Talk about fog of war. It would be difficult for non-native English speakers though. It would certainly mean a lot of planning before the peices ever hit the map. Just a thought.

Howard Tayer