.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 8th, 2012, 03:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New scenario series: Catalan Wars.

Played all 4 and I must say they were definitely very entertaining scenarios. In terms of difficulty I'd rank them as:

PART I: 7/10 managed a marginal victory
PART II: 9/10 managed a draw, both sides had more than 10k loss of points
PART III: 3/10 managed a marginal victory, almost a decisive
PARTIV: 5/10 same as above

As you can see, I found the scenarios that you have the Spanish side the most challenging. The reason for that is lack of any decent armor, most of your tanks are M60s with 1 or 2 Leo2A4 platoons and you have to attack prepared French positions with tanks, including Lecrerc's. Scenario III was by far the easiest, you can just rush to occupy any hexes not occupied by the Spanish and then defend them. IV was a little more challenging, but if you were methodical and use your light armor correctly, you can make it. The biggest asset in both of them are the Leclerc tanks, maybe if you gave the French side mainly AMX30s it would be harder.
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
Played all 4 and I must say they were definitely very entertaining scenarios. In terms of difficulty I'd rank them as:

PART I: 7/10 managed a marginal victory
PART II: 9/10 managed a draw, both sides had more than 10k loss of points
PART III: 3/10 managed a marginal victory, almost a decisive
PARTIV: 5/10 same as above

As you can see, I found the scenarios that you have the Spanish side the most challenging. The reason for that is lack of any decent armor, most of your tanks are M60s with 1 or 2 Leo2A4 platoons and you have to attack prepared French positions with tanks, including Lecrerc's. Scenario III was by far the easiest, you can just rush to occupy any hexes not occupied by the Spanish and then defend them. IV was a little more challenging, but if you were methodical and use your light armor correctly, you can make it. The biggest asset in both of them are the Leclerc tanks, maybe if you gave the French side mainly AMX30s it would be harder.
Thanks, glad you liked them, more to come.
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:01 PM

Sergeant

New scenario: Catalan Wars Part V.

While the Catalan front battles come to a halt with both sides on a defensive stance, the war spills to the Basque region as Spain retaliates to French Air Strikes in the area by mobilizing nearby stationed units across the border. Portugal joins the Spanish side rushing units to the Basque region. A mixed unit of Light Infantry supported by armor encounters very well equipped french regulars delaying their advance near Ascain.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Catalan Wars Part V.zip (96.0 KB, 227 views)
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:02 PM

Sergeant

New scenario: Catalan Wars Part VI.

Elements from the French 126th Infantry Regiment are ordered to assault Portuguese mechanized units defending the village of Bidache and surroundings.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Catalan Wars Part VI.zip (110.8 KB, 237 views)
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

Finished part V.
Made Marginal:
7989:1021

I lost 187 men and 10 armoured vehicles to French 331 men, 2 mortars, 2 VBLs and 20 other armoured vehicles.

Nice scenario, I enjoyed it, however it wasn't particularly hard as long as you watch for the losses. French defence is planned rather badly, its easy to cut and encircle defence pockets as they are not being supported at all. Only think that saved French from decisive defeat was one Armoured section in a place I did not expect (I am not spoiling), that knocked out 2 tanks and 1 Escorpion.

I will soon proceed to some combat with Portugal, stay tuned.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post:
Old October 24th, 2013, 02:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

And its done.

Lost 109 men to Portuguese 199, 11 VABs and other 12 tank-like vehicles. Portuguese lost 11 and 12, respectively. All flags taken by last turn, score 7687:2039.

Really interesting scenario, I was surprised Portuguese can stand such stiff defence. Situation was unclear for first 10-12 turns and I thought I may fail to do it on time. However, unusually to your scenarios, I felt unnecessary pressure with just 22 turns to play it. Yours scens require careful approach and scouting and I had no issues with it before.
What I then recommend is to rise the amount of turns at least to 27.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post:
Old October 24th, 2013, 06:15 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaS TrooP View Post
And its done.

Lost 109 men to Portuguese 199, 11 VABs and other 12 tank-like vehicles. Portuguese lost 11 and 12, respectively. All flags taken by last turn, score 7687:2039.

Really interesting scenario, I was surprised Portuguese can stand such stiff defence. Situation was unclear for first 10-12 turns and I thought I may fail to do it on time. However, unusually to your scenarios, I felt unnecessary pressure with just 22 turns to play it. Yours scens require careful approach and scouting and I had no issues with it before.
What I then recommend is to rise the amount of turns at least to 27.
Thank you SaSTrooP for your positive feedback, i'm glad you enjoyed the scenarios. Scenario design is very much rewarding for me as it is SP or PBEM gameplay. I kept the turns to 22 on Part VI to precisely add the "pressure" effect on the french commander and with the limited info on the briefing it all adds to the fog of war aspect.

More scenarios coming in due time, stay tuned
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Corporal

Warwick is on a distinguished road

Really enjoyed Part V and Part VI, especially liked the little surprises in Part V ,just a couple of suggestions for amendments :-In Part V hex 59,5 is shallow water, whereas the graphic indicates it should be a bridge. In Part VI hex 67,39 is a ford, again the graphic suggests a bridge. Once again most interesting scenarios, many thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Warwick For This Useful Post:
Old March 30th, 2018, 04:42 AM

Corporal

RC4 is on a distinguished road

With new 2018 Patch (new Portuguese ORBAT) the senário 291 Catalan Wars has to be fixed!
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to RC4 For This Useful Post:
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

It was fixed on Dec 10 2017 and it is in the patch. Scenhack does not report there is a problem with it though on close inspection, it looks like all your moving units around has created a situation where even Scenhack is confused which is why I normally avoid third-party OOB "fixes".

At some point I will look into this as it looks like it will need to be rebuilt unit by unit manually

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: