.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

View Poll Results: When fighting a random battle, what season(s) you predominately use ?
Summer 6 27.27%
Spring or Autumn 6 27.27%
Winter 0 0%
All seasons 13 59.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20th, 2017, 04:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game play -Seasons

It's depending about my "mood" (or just thinking some real war period, let's say cold war, jom kippur, desert storm etc.) mostly. Same thing with WW2 periods.
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I didn't include "desert" as part of the poll but I suppose I should have. For WW2 I can see how some players may prefer the North African battles and in MBT's era there are quite a number of them.

Part of this question is just curiosity to see what players default to. Someone may always play the '70's in June when they select a random battle. But also to see, as I suspected if winter was under played. Over time, and as I find them I have been trying to gradually complete the Icons sets for desert and winter but it would seem that since there is little play in winter the green Icon sets are "good enough".....one because it's rarely played it seems but also because there are plenty of examples of non-whitewashed vehicles used in winter AND since white on white on white is a bit visually monotonous ...a green vehicle may be better finding units.....that's one reason why I never bothered making " winter" troops.

The poll also helps to determine IF we did add any new terrain, what season would see it used. There is little point in spending days adding something that 1% *might* actually see.. PERSONALLY, I have no problem with determining LOS & movement on winter maps and the changes we added last time break up white on white effect but I do see how it might bother some people but I can't see how I can change that and still show slopes clearly when you are not determining LOS & movement. I also understand that the movement restrictions on winter maps may make the game too slow for some and avoid it for that reason alone but all information is useful and I'll be interested to see if anyone else weighs in......BUT as of today " all seasons"....and that includes winter, is the leader but nobody *so far* claims winter as their favorite

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 24th, 2017, 03:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I do the occasional winter scenario but rarely.
Not because of any visibility or movement issues but simply because winter battles are less common RL.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 9th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road

I am partially colour blind and I have real trouble seeing units on snow maps in any type of terrain except clear; and this is even with ID flags on. I therefore always use a green map but I still sometimes lose units in forests.
Old June 9th, 2017, 06:21 PM

Sergeant

Dion is on a distinguished road

I don't like winter battles either, as snow causes my troops to move at reduced speeds, so I accidently get caught out in the open and end up taking heavy casualties. Very realistic! I guess my main gripe about snow battles is it strains the eyes, but again that's realistic too, as living in the north country causes me to endure an effect called whiteout, wear it's hard to focus your eyes on anything, thus straining of the eyes is a common phenomenon. Doesn't cause any damage, just hard to see.