.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 6th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road
Default Learning from my mistakes:

I was playing themed Pythium (forget the name) with an S9 N4 Oracle, and I decided to try out Mind Hunt with Soul Slay... well, I figured that measly S5 Freak Lord would be no threat, so I went after him, and ended up with a feebleminded Oracle Since my most powerful mages are only W1 N2, there probably isn't any way I can repair this, is there? I have sages for research.

So, I'm trying to learn from this mistake. Why did this happen? Is Mind Hunt so sensitive that any Astral mage can sever it and kill you? I figured my S9 vs. his S5 would end up in my favor. I'm also starting to think maybe having an Oracle with Pythium was STUPID, but I didn't know Gateway wouldn't work with immobile pretenders. In fact, I was banking on the strategy of using teleports in the late game to take my Oracle places with an army and use high level Astral magic. The only good thing I've experienced so far with this army are my blessed hydras and hatchlings.

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Learning from my mistakes:

Mind Hunt & such don't have any "favouring" in them. A S1 mage could snip a S10 mage's silvery cord just as easily a S10 mage would snip S5 mage's silver cord.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

N2 mage can forge Thistle Mace (Constr. 4 IIRC), which boosts him into N3. N3S1 allows for Moonvine Bracelet, so N4. N4 allows for Treelord's Staff, +2 N but it replaces Thistle Mace, so -> N5. Nature 5 already allows for Gift of Health, I think. Hmm. Check from someone that it works on inanimate beings (Oracles) first.

Faery Queen at high Conjuration is another possibility. Lamia Queens, also from Conjuration, will give you access to Death and Astral at least once you get lucky with one's randoms.
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
BigJMoney said:
I was playing themed Pythium (forget the name) ... my most powerful mages are only W1 N2
You are playing Serpent Cult Pythium: probably one of the weakest themes in the game. Even thier best mages are just plain terrible. If you are using CB mod, a blessed hydra strategy is ok, but you dont have the right paths for it on your pretender.

My suggestion to you is to start over and play regular Pythium. You can do all the mundane stuff like Gatewaying and Mind Hunting with your regular national mages and not risk your pretender. Reserve your pretender for combat or some particular spell or function that your nation doesnt normally have or you need quick/easy access to.