.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old January 5th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Working on a new mod

You sure wardancers should go berserk? Methinks somehow being able to wield two long swords at once without tearing all of one's upper-body ligaments and tendons is adequate representation of their superhuman grace, speed, and ferocity. Encumbrance 1 might also serve to drive the point home.
True, wardancers do fight in a frenzy, but said frenzy incorporates more precision and elegance than any berserker could get away with. That is to say, I'd expect a wardancer to have a defense skill that puts van and tuatha to shame, and not to lose said defense skill the moment he's grazed by an arrow.
You might also want to consider giving them no protection, but a few levels of air shield, to represent the Snikchesque ability to pluck arrows out of the air with their toes, or whatever.
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

This is sorta giving me an urge to get back to my skaven mod. Though the vast majority of the requisite modding commands still don't exist, and trying to summarize the raw awesome of skavendom in a one-paragraph blurb is still a daunting task.
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:29 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vicious Love said:
This is sorta giving me an urge to get back to my skaven mod. Though the vast majority of the requisite modding commands still don't exist, and trying to summarize the raw awesome of skavendom in a one-paragraph blurb is still a daunting task.
How about RATS!
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Or if you are feeling verbose you could go for: raw awesome RATS!
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:37 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
liga said:
Great! I would rellay like to see all the warhammer races modded in dom2 ... it could be also a nice way to introduce new players!

Good point

I would like to play a warhammer mod as well. Unfortunately I have more pressing sprite making tasks at hand. I have a dark elf army, but in dom2 I would prefer to play skaven or tomb kings I believe.
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:42 PM

First Lieutenant

Zen is on a distinguished road

Rodents of Unusual Size.

ROUS's!
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

Thilock_Dominus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vicious Love said:
You sure wardancers should go berserk? Methinks somehow being able to wield two long swords at once without tearing all of one's upper-body ligaments and tendons is adequate representation of their superhuman grace, speed, and ferocity. Encumbrance 1 might also serve to drive the point home.
True, wardancers do fight in a frenzy, but said frenzy incorporates more precision and elegance than any berserker could get away with. That is to say, I'd expect a wardancer to have a defense skill that puts van and tuatha to shame, and not to lose said defense skill the moment he's grazed by an arrow.
You might also want to consider giving them no protection, but a few levels of air shield, to represent the Snikchesque ability to pluck arrows out of the air with their toes, or whatever.
Hmmm...I'll take that in consideration. I can't give them airshield due to lack of mod commands.
The Idea with the berserk was it should represent the diffrent war dancing. The wardancer do have some armor, well a bit. They are wearing magical war painting as protection physically and against hostile magic. The hard part is that warhammer stuff and dom2 stuff to go hand in hand when it comes unit building.
But again the mod is inspired by the WH wood elves but should also be able to play it with non-warhammer nation.

Yet another question about sites, some of the sites have the abilities to recruit diffrent units, eg. 'The Grove of gaia' allow you to recruit white Centaur (unit nr. 769). Can I altered White Centaur to a completly another creature so I can recruit that creature through the site? If so will will the site still say 'recruiting White Centaur or the altered name I gave the it?

Nosophoros: The Vampire Lords - v1.02
Conquest of Elysium 3 GUI mods
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:57 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

You can change White Centaur completely, even the name, and the site will still recruit the modded unit. Even the name the site shows will be changed to eg. "Lets you recruit Kamikaze Unicorn".
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thilock_Dominus said:

Hmmm...I'll take that in consideration. I can't give them airshield due to lack of mod commands.

Yet another question about sites, some of the sites have the abilities to recruit diffrent units, eg. 'The Grove of gaia' allow you to recruit white Centaur (unit nr. 769). Can I altered White Centaur to a completly another creature so I can recruit that creature through the site? If so will will the site still say 'recruiting White Centaur or the altered name I gave the it?
You can give them airshield indirectly by giving them an armor with airshield , either robe of missile protection or silver hauberk .

According sites : If you use the site of the nation your modded nation replaces you can use their capitol only units and mod them to your wishing .
A few such units can be recruited from independent sites also though iirc e.g. the white centaur or hydra hatchlings .
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
Quote:
Vicious Love said:
How about RATS!
Hey, not half bad!
And the new modding commands should make SOME of my plans workable. Still no proper Ark-like, misfortune-spreading screaming bells, nor vaguely hero-like, assassination-prone gray seers, nor single-shot Eshin contracts(Unless I mod Pythium), nor pack morale, nor doomwheels, nor Thanquol Caractor-curse and Blood Vengeance effect, nor autostarving skavenslaves, cannibalism, necrophagy, autopillage(Bane Venom style), and all the other hunger mechanics that make fielding a skaven army so... unique, nor... well, pretty much everything else, but at least I can make plague monks. We can mod in negative reinvigoration now, right?

Ugh. Me and my impossible ambitions. And after all that time spent making sure Eshin assassins weren't overpowered, despite their obscenely high defense skill. To say nothing of Deathmaster Snikch. I knew one of Skavenblight's strengths would be its heroes*, but it took so much tweaking to keep the guy from putting Etimmu to shame. The only balanced hero in the mix is Lord Skrolk. And Ikit Claw, if one ends up with an unlucky mix of randoms.

* Which woulda been fun, since the council bell tower site(Unmoddable) would keep their capitol around misfortune 2 or so, even in high luck-3 dominion, and any screaming bells fielded would have a similar effect abroad. It's sort of an outward impetus, driving the skaven to conquer new lands, since the old ones keep getting infested by skaven.

Couple that with supply penalties, pillage boni, maintenance costs and improbably low resource costs for rank-and-file troops(25% off resource cost, for general packrattery and Skryre industrialization), and one simply cannot play a defensive skaven game.
Erm, unless one foolhardily disregards one's absurdly cost-efficient national troops and relies on one's labor-intensive, specialized and unreliable war machines and Crossbreeding-casting Moulder warlocks. Or has one's warlock engineers conjure up some unimpressive elemental summons. Or has one's pretender or the occasional gray seer muster a few cohorts of the undead. Or a dozen other valid strategies. None of which seem as workable with Skavenblight as with other nations, but you never know.

Hmm. Long post. Longer footnote. Much longer footnote. Bad sign. Must get unworkable mod out of head. Must stop trying to think of ways for Skavenblight to defeat Ashen Empire or Soul Gate Ermor(I gots nothin' so far. Fear, starvation, no warpfire- and jezzail- susceptible elites, every conceivable edge. Mind you, the skaven might not be all that outclassed tactically, but they've got no means around their strategic shortcomings).

Oh, dearie me, I'm doing it again. Out, out, damn mod!