This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 19th, 2004, 10:58 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBW - Loosers Who Quit

I learned a long time ago, getting my butt kicked in chess tourneys, that the honorable thing to do was resign when the game ending was obvious. Even then, I saw people who were obviously going to lose sit there and make the opponent sit there while his clock ran down. To me, that's the SE4 equivalent of not submitting a turn and forcing everyone else to "watch your clock run down".

I know RL pops up sometimes (Nodachi and Gecko come to mind) but it's also obvious that RL wasn't the problem when you see the same guy active in another game.

I don't like quitters like that but I try to take them in stride. No point in "having a cow" as Bart would say .
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:22 PM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Roanon said:Depends. If you are the Last surviving enemy, doesn't make sense to continue a decided game, it's just plain annoying.
I wasn't the Last, I stayed on for as long as possible to try and help my long time partner.
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Corporal

freduk is on a distinguished road

Yes some people drop out way to fast, if you lose one battle and have no ships left in the sector, your opponent may always decide to do untactical things, like not attack your planets but just go back for resupply or have a retrofit party somewhere. Not all is lost if you loose a fleet.

But if a player quits, and someone takes over his empire a change of leadership can be very refreshing. I have taken over a game of the crushed player born2fly who was in 10th place, with two glassed homeworlds and only had 7 ships or so.
Now the empire is in 4th place with over 300 battleships, and his previous enemies have been neutralized.
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Sergeant

Gozra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
primitive said:
Quote:
Atrocities said:
Keep the language PG please.
Hard to do that when reading Gozra's post. Forcing someone with a big empire to spend hour upon hour of micromanagement just to get a cheap chuckle is just sick.

Goz: You made my personal never play list.
Brevity has bitten me again. This is what happened The Winner killed my Last ship and planet. I called him up on the phone to congratulate him but I teased him a bit first and said the game indicated I still had units in the field. He said we can keep playing if I wanted. Then I told him it was a minefield in a nebula system then in exasperation he cussed and said I am not continuing for that. We laughed and started a new game. I always approach these forums with a bit of humor. How ever I have been accused of having very dry Humor. And I have been told by a friend once that I am funny but you have to able to think about what I say in order to understand my humor. I am disappointed I made your list Primitive.
The fact that slaughter is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but does not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later, someone will come along with a sharper sword and hack off our arms
Clausewitz
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:05 PM

BANNED USER

Gryphin is on a distinguished road

I don't have much to say except that I stopped playing PBW when I realized I was so unreliable.
I think others should reconize thier own nature and do the same.
Old August 21st, 2004, 01:40 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

Primative.

I am disappointed Gozra made your list as well.

Gozra is a good PBW player to have in a game.

I also have a Do-Not-Join list and another list of Players who i think are great PBW players.

As for setting this up on PBW.

That will not happen. PBW has made it a few years now without a rating system. The current system will not have this functionality added.

The new PBW system. Perhaps it can be looked at from an autogenerated point of view. But again it still does not explain everything.

I feel it is better for players to keep their own opinions of players. And if some one joins a game who you feel is not a good pbw player then inform the game admin. They can chat one on one with the player in question and decide if they wish to give the benifit of the doubt to the said player. Or inform them that they do not want them in their game. I have seen a few emails that go along the lines of " I really would like to play in this game but player ****** is known to drop out without notice. "

Then I look at who sent it and decide... Hmm... who whould be better in my game.... send off a few emails. And make a choice.

Too me that is the best system.

P.S. G-Kim is a good player,

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old August 21st, 2004, 04:59 PM

Sergeant

Karibu is on a distinguished road

I have seen couple of players so far I am not willing to play anymore. Reason: not submitting turns and/or breaking home rules. Also players who quit (not informing anyway) after the first loss get into my list. However, I am happy to inform that there is not many names

I also agree that you learn more when losing that when winning.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:08 AM

Sergeant

Greybeard is on a distinguished road

I'm in a game, as a long-time replacement player, that is no longer fun. I have kept playing, but it's really useless. One player has a much better racial setup than everyone else and is really powerful. He could easily eliminate my empire, but instead chooses to park large fleets on the suns in my systems and let my planets riot.

There are only four empires left, and the combination of the weaker three would not be strong enough to win the fight. I'm ready to declare a winner and leave the game, but the leader seems to want a different type of ending.

What would you do in this case??
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:57 AM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

inform the game owner and the other players. and declare that player the winner. People tend to forget that you can win a game without taking out everything around you.

If the game owner says fight it out then i would tell them to mark my empire dead so the computer can take over.

If they refuse. I would leave.

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:27 AM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
tesco samoa said:
inform the game owner and the other players. and declare that player the winner. People tend to forget that you can win a game without taking out everything around you.

If the game owner says fight it out then i would tell them to mark my empire dead so the computer can take over.

If they refuse. I would leave.
If surrender is permitted, that is another way to say, "OK, you won. I surrendered." and leave the game without being a quitter. Just my take on it.