BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old March 26th, 2017, 03:56 PM

Private

Viking John is on a distinguished road
Default Overwatch Feature wish

If setting overwatch worked like this it would be a useful and used feature for CD holders

When on over watch troops op-fire during your turn when enemy fires and is spotted. Would also be nice if they had increase chance to spot , since these troops are focused in small area they would be more likly to spot enemy when they fire or move.

Example

Enemy has 4 units (E-1 to E-4) Hidden in a treeline with a feild between and you have a 3 platoons of 3 squads , you put 2 platoons on overwatch so they cover the treeline So we have OW-1 to Ow-6 on over watch with 1 platoon to advance A-1 to A3

once your OW troops are in place , you move A1 towards the tree line and E1 op-fires at A1 trigering and op-fire from OW-1 which firs back , which inturn would trigger a op-fire from E2 at OW-1 then OW-2 would get Op-fire at E2 , thus triggering another op-fire from E3 at OW-2 and then OW-3 opfires at E3 trigering op-fire from E4 to opfire at OW-3 and that would have OW-4 op-fire at E4 and would keep going to all units on one side or the other is out of shots or supressed.

This would be more like fire fights would happen ,, I cant see troops standing their watching as the entire enemy fire on their own without laying down cover fire

as it is now you move A1 and it gets op-fire from all 4 Enemy units ,, then you fire at one of Enemy units and ALL 4 fire back and keeps going like this till supressed or out of shots.

This would still let the overwatch sytem be used as it is now but would make it useful more then once or twice a year because it would have added benifit.

I would even be willing to pay 5 bucks or so for this feature as a DLC if that would help get the programers to get this in. I understand its been years since I bought my CD's and the programers have done alot of work on this since , so IMO I dont see a problem paying them for their time and skill , as long as they dont get greedy )))

Lets get this fourm active talking about the game and not movies or books so when people come here read the post they will see discussions on game and know its a Good game worth buying.
Old March 26th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Overwatch Feature wish

Whilst I find it commendable that anyone strives to elicit more activity on the forums - I cannot support this idea, sorry.

From a game prospective you add a lot of complication, and automation for no real advantage. Turns would take longer to play as the AI fires all it's AND YOUR units (despite you perhaps wanting to save shots to cover the enemies turn. We the players will feel that we aren't in control of our forces. Remember this is a game NOT a simulation... And is a IGOUGO format.

In reality, forces above a section size, don't tend to use overwatch as you describe (most armies discourage firing over/past their own troops). Generally they would advance under smoke and covering fire (i.e. z fire) into the treeline from an oblique position.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old March 26th, 2017, 05:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Overwatch Feature wish

I agree about the books and movies. We let that go on longer than we should have as it has only peripheral relevance to the game.

Don't agree with turning support fire into an automatic AI controled response... these are YOUR troops and if you move one and 4 enemy fire at it, it's YOUR job to provide the support NOT the game.

If you move a unit and four enemy fire on it then what you need to do is NOT return fire with that unit but with one of your other units.....force the AI to break target lock and acquire a new one and if you are advancing correctly you should have enough units to alternate firing on the AI enemy forcing the AI to return fire on those at a lower to hit %.

So it fires on "Unit A" you return fire with "B"...it targets B then you target it again but this time with "C" and if it breaks target lock on "B" to fire at "C" then you use "D" or "A" to keep it off balance...... NEVER return fire with the target unit if you have other units with LOS to the enemy unless you have no choice and if you HAVE to do something to break the world of hurt you stepped into...pop smoke and get out of there

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: