.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Lucid Dreaming

Im putting this up on a few different forums, according to wikipedia:
Lucid dreaming is the conscious perception of one's state while dreaming, resulting in a much clearer ("lucid") experience and usually enabling direct control over the content of the dream.[1] The complete experience from start to finish is called a lucid dream. Stephen LaBerge, a popular author and experimenter on the subject, has defined it as "dreaming while knowing that you are dreaming."

Basically what i want you to do is try this:
This technique is the one endorsed by Carlos Castaneda's guide, Don Juan, in the book Journey to Ixtlan. Before going to sleep one must look at one's hands and say to oneself: "Later, when I am dreaming, I will look at my hands and realise that I am dreaming." While dreaming, one must look at one's hands, then look around and repeat the procedure throughout the dream

Try it tonight then tomorrow come on here and post whether it worked or not, has worked for me twice in a row so far and worked for my friend last night so it seems to have some effect, if you wish to read into the subject further go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming

I rarely if ever remember my dreams so vividly remembering some 2 nights in a row seems to suggest this works fairly well.
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:00 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Lucid Dreaming

And here I was thinking that Lucid Dreaming was a spell for Ryhelh in Dom 3!

Seriously, the lucid dreaming is rather interesting. I had to stop, as the power of all my dreams got stronger, including the nightmares. Yes, I know you are supposed to be able to step in and sort out the nightmare by taking control. To a certain extent I was, but the net effect was much worse nightmares.

Interestingly, once I stopped, I almost never remember dreams, even less than before I started. At the risk of dating myself, that was about 20 years ago, so the techniques can have a very powerful and lasting effect on your mind.

Enjoy and may you have more success than I did.
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:01 AM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Why do you need to actively remember/participate in your dreams? They are your brains way of subconsiously processing and compressing all the info about yourself and your environment that you collect over the day. Let it do what it needs to.
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

Good question. The idea is that sometimes the subconscious needs some help. Nightmares are seen as representing areas where the subconscious is not processing something successfully or areas where the subconscious is trying to tell the conscious brain there is a problem. If you can be lucid or semiconscious while in a dreaming state, you can link the two sections of your brain together.

From there, you can either help sort out a problem or come to realize that there is a problem that you need to consciously deal with.

Also, it can be fun to be in dreamworld and actively participate, rather than just observing!
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

Yea, the main reason is just because its fun (i think im getting better at controling it)