.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road
Question Tournament setup questions

I've read through the tournament setup and gotten a brain cramp.

Last edited by Skirmisher; April 2nd, 2009 at 04:06 PM..
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tournament setup questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmisher View Post

Questions- Under the explained method in the game guide,will players be able to deploy thier own forces?

Whats the point of each player getting the scenario before it even starts?
1) Tournament games are scenarios. Every player gets the exact same scenario to play. Therefore they can be scored on all players playing the exact same set-up.

2) Troops are not bought or deployed by players in scenarios. That is the organiser's job when designing the common competition "examination paper" type scenario.

3) The tournament organiser sends the same scenario set-up files to all player 1 participants.
The player 1s then supply a password for security when playing.
Then the P1s send the files to the P2s. P2s must not receive the files before then! - just the P2 initial password sent by the organiser separately. (Otherwise the set-up is unpassworded as for P1 and they can sneak a peek).
on receiving the set-up from the P1s the p2s change the supplied password.

so:
- do not send the initial scenario set-up files to the P2s
- do not send the initial common p2 password you set as the organiser to the p1s

4) If you need to learn the mechanics then first play it left hand versus right hand on your own machine, before trying to involve third parties.

5) At game end you can then rank the best P1 (attacker say) and the best scoring P2, or play the scenario mirrored with the P1s now being P2s etc for a joint total.

6) And that is my recollection of the tournament procedure. We provided this way back when the game was released, it was play tested and then nobody in the gaming community seems to have bothered in the intervening 5 years or so. It is probably more usual for say a military class exercise (all pupils being scored on the same "question").

Andy
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tournament setup questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmisher View Post

Questions- Under the explained method in the game guide,will players be able to deploy thier own forces?

Whats the point of each player getting the scenario before it even starts?
1) Tournament games are scenarios. Every player gets the exact same scenario to play. Therefore they can be scored on all players playing the exact same set-up.

2) Troops are not bought or deployed by players in scenarios. That is the organiser's job when designing the common competition "examination paper" type scenario.

3) The tournament organiser sends the same scenario set-up files to all player 1 participants.
The player 1s then supply a password for security when playing.
Then the P1s send the files to the P2s. P2s must not receive the files before then! - just the P2 initial password sent by the organiser separately. (Otherwise the set-up is unpassworded as for P1 and they can sneak a peek).
on receiving the set-up from the P1s the p2s change the supplied password.

so:
- do not send the initial scenario set-up files to the P2s
- do not send the initial common p2 password you set as the organiser to the p1s

Andy

OK Thank You.

I understand now.
The way you explain it here is much clearer to me,having read the game guide about it.

I totally understand I'm supposed to deploy, and fully expected to do that. Quite happy to actually.