Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Sergeant

Listy is on a distinguished road
Default Para dropped Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
And that would be his last PBEM game with the specific opponent.
Bit harsh. Having a regular opponent is great fun, because occasionally you can pull some silly stuff which you both laugh about. My Main PBEM opponent and I have been playing since SP1 on his 386.

Last one I did was throwing a pair of Challenger 1's out the back of a pair of C-130's to give some support to my SAS team's. The Whole lot landed on one of the objective area's in the middle of the map. Just in time to give the Commie tank rush a surprise.
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:43 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Naval Gun on Land Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
Quote:
Bit harsh. Having a regular opponent is great fun, because occasionally you can pull some silly stuff which you both laugh about. My Main PBEM opponent and I have been playing since SP1 on his 386.

Last one I did was throwing a pair of Challenger 1's out the back of a pair of C-130's to give some support to my SAS team's. The Whole lot landed on one of the objective area's in the middle of the map. Just in time to give the Commie tank rush a surprise.
Yes that would a RUSH, and given stuff other Commanders in other battles have tried thoughout history not that unreasonable! Isn't the SAS Motto " He who Dares Wins". So the question is now Listy did you win??

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM

Sergeant

Default Re: Naval Gun on Land Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBob View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Yes that would a RUSH, and given stuff other Commanders in other battles have tried thoughout history not that unreasonable! Isn't the SAS Motto " He who Dares Wins". So the question is now Listy did you win??

Bob out
I don't know. because this was back in the day when the game Imploded when you had too many air units. I do Know one made it down, only losing two crew men.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBob View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Bob out
Of course with the new split crews para-dropping, which really only will affect MBT (not enough transports that can drop AFV in WW2) then dropping a few crews separated from their MBT in the rear zone is a likely way for his HQ to get a couple of kills chasing them down before they recombine...

Andy
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM

Duh! - got my message boards crossed, this is MBT...

Anyway - the new para drop routine splits crewed units on loading into a transport plane, so each element parachutes on its own chute. Crews (if they survive and if the vehicle/mortar/ATG/mule team etc survives) will need to waddle over to their kit and recombine, should the enemy be so accommodating as to let them do so.

No instant drive-aways any more.

Cheers
Andy
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Duh! - got my message boards crossed, this is MBT...

Anyway - the new para drop routine splits crewed units on loading into a transport plane, so each element parachutes on its own chute. Crews (if they survive and if the vehicle/mortar/ATG/mule team etc survives) will need to waddle over to their kit and recombine, should the enemy be so accommodating as to let them do so.

No instant drive-aways any more.

Cheers
Andy
Great I recently got my rear handed to me by a massed Para battalion drop with support Vehicles. Funny really. You'd think a Dug in Company with Bunkered Heavy weapons on 4 sides of an open drop area would cause more than a couple of Casualties.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

How will the crews be treated? Like "ordinary" or like "para-qualified"?
I assume the vehicles themselves would take into account "airborne-or-not", right?
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek_Tucan View Post
I assume the vehicles themselves would take into account "airborne-or-not", right?
I have no idea, quite frankly. The main point of the code was to make it less easy for some "gamey" MBT tactics of dropping an M1A2 on the objective and have them ready to go. Airborne APC for example already have less chance of damage on impact. All crews are the same class - the game has no idea where they came from - so are likely to be ordinary grunts for paradropping.

Cheers
Andy
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:34 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea, quite frankly. The main point of the code was to make it less easy for some "gamey" MBT tactics of dropping an M1A2 on the objective and have them ready to go. Airborne APC for example already have less chance of damage on impact. All crews are the same class - the game has no idea where they came from - so are likely to be ordinary grunts for paradropping.

Cheers
Andy
so we should expect heavyer casualities than with paras?what about the vehicle, it can get destroyed/rendered ineffective?(just noticed, airborne light tank is now at some advantage compared to normal MBTs, may be worth the points)
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Andy
so we should expect heavyer casualities than with paras?what about the vehicle, it can get destroyed/rendered ineffective?(just noticed, airborne light tank is now at some advantage compared to normal MBTs, may be worth the points)
dropping support weapons and vehicles on silk hankies will result in a high attrition rate.

Vehicle can have a destroyed, or track damage result all on its own, so even if the crew survives then it may be dead or an immobile pillbox.

But not a lot of real armies drop anything other than light infantry out of cargo planes these days. Only the Soviets really would have done so, and the high numbers they would drop would offset the attrition. Everyone else that parachutes will only drop some infantry to take an airfield etc, and then freight the heavy stuff in.

And if it stops silly beggars dropping an MBT platoon into your rear zone as a coup-de main in a PBEM, then fine. Fine too if they do so, my HQ and his APC and any armed ammo carriers and SP-mortars etc in the back zone can then have fun chasing down the crews, too .

Andy