World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: need help in a sniper nest assault

Here's another save game with the replay that shows the other spider hole being destroyed. I ran this three times without any losses at all. I also have the lead in turns to this if I need to walk anyone though this step by step.

Watch the replay. Notice that the two units keeping the Spider hole occupied are NOT 300+ metres they are only 100 metres and the MG and sniper are in the open and I did it twice without the sniper Also note that each unit offering covering fire for the main assault force in the south are firing alternately so the spider hole is forced to break target lock each time it reacts to my covering fire. Once it's fully engaged ( i.e.used up all it's reaction fire ) you move in for the kill.

This is not rocket science folks. It's not impossible and you do not need to take huge losses unless you "Banzai !" at the damn thing. It was built to be a challenge ( as it obviously is for some of you ) but when it was built it was created with all the FC and armour BECAUSE it was deemed too easy to kill without all the "enhancements" ( and it is becasue it's barely a challenge now )

Don
Attached Files
File Type: zip 367437-spiderhole-kill.zip (78.0 KB, 89 views)

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 16th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Corporal

loktarr is on a distinguished road

I tried it once again with no major problems against 3 adjacent spider holes!!!
I nothing to had except that:
-sniper are very usefull to go in the adjacent hexe of the spider hole and are nearly never detected and can assault wth grenades and kill some viets -> adds suppression,
-there is a really powerful unit: buy a recon team there are:
a 3 men recon group, a 2 men enginers group, an FO
group and a "recon Sniper"
This "Recon Sniper" carries a satchel charge, so 1 recion sniper bought= 1 spider hole dead, with 10 tests, I got 9 success with no loses (against a single spider hole), 1 time my sniper did noy hit with his satchel, and after delivering a covering fire from him, the enginer squad destroyedthat spider hole...
So retry that campain and when finished you'll have learned much about the game...
good Luck
Old July 16th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Corporal

Nightblade is on a distinguished road

playing again and again the same mission finally made me understand why i kept running into heavy losses despite i used the same exact approach (a couple of sniper+MG firing +/- 3 turns to the nest from cover while moving the assault team from the forest to remain undetected).

After running in so much "assault failed" message (that lead in the 'wake up' of the nest and so the deadly booby trap) , i tried to buy engineer instead of regular marine troops.

And there, no loss in two successive nest assault using the exact same approach.
Well, i guess my "make everything with regular marines" personnaly challenge is a bit too difficult for me, but i will try and try again until i find a way to lower the ratio of "assault failed" messages with those troops.

But i continue to not understand the reason sniper nests are immune to M79/grenade launchers/Iroquois MG attacks enough to never been forced to be "pinned down" while a couple of MG+sniper will get them in that stance everytime ?

Quote:
You are missing the point entirely. Simply pinning the unit is not sufficient to neutralize it and it's booby traps. You have to engage it from two - four directions and *****force it to fire back at you****
Well, in my approach, waiting for the moment i finally "pin down" the nest , i have usually 2 squads at 2 hexagons distance hidden in forest not engaging and not been engaged.

As soon as the nest is pinned down, those squads can move in the adjacent hexagon and assault the nest -without any booby trap striking before the assault.
Only before being pinned down i will have a booby trap strike as soon as the squad arrive in the adjacent hexagon.

forcing the nest to fire back usually lead me into several loss i would like to avoid, as it has a higher % of hit than me.
Old July 16th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Corporal

loktarr is on a distinguished road

Engineers works very good, also with MBTs for every kind of assault, but it should work with regular marines even with the (M-16,M60,M60,M60) team which chances in assault are bad...
Try assaulting with a single sniper, even without making the nest pinned...