This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 8th, 2005, 03:54 AM

Corporal

luke_slovakian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Moron Sues Over Roof Jumping

At starbucks coffee in my opinion is cool if not cold. Even the"hot" one. Anyways i'm out of this. This is old news
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, you missed the point. Here is an especially relevant quote:

Quote:
In refusing to grant a new trial in the case, Judge Robert Scott called McDonald's behavior “callous.” Moreover, “the day after the verdict, the news media documented that coffee at the McDonald's in Albuquerque [where Liebeck was burned] is now sold at 158 degrees. This will cause third-degree burns in about 60 seconds, rather than in two to seven seconds [so that], the margin of safety has been increased as a direct consequence of this verdict.” Id.
Hmm... third degree burns in 2 seconds, or third degree burns in 60. I don't see how you can make a case the McDonald's was not at fault for serving coffee that was way too hot. This is especially dangerous when a large portion of it gets sold to people in vehicles... Again, the case was _never_ about spilling coffee, or being stupid, or anything like that. It was about McDonald's serving coffee that was way too hot, hence very dangerous. It is exactly the same as if the toy included in a Happy Meal was a razor blade. It is unnecessarily dangerous. Lawsuits are often the only recourse that a consumer has against a corporation that is selling products that unnecessarily endanger people. Buying coffee should not be an extremely dangerous affair, yet it was at the 180 degree threshhold. At the new 158 degree level, spilling some of the coffee on yourself will only result in minor burns, rather than those that require hospitalization. Purchasing fast food should not result in hospitalization.

Where did legislation come into this? McDonald's voluntarily lowered the temperature of their coffee. There was no law passed or court mandate requiring them to do so.

Get a thermometer and measure the temperature of that coffee you buy. I bet it won't be close to 180 degrees...

Quote:
Imperator you said that all she really wanted was money for her medical bills...and that may have been true in the begining but when she sued it certainly wasn't...in fact it wasn't even just for medical bills and legal fees but rather it was for 1 million.....
Not true:

Quote:
Despite these extensive injuries, she offered to settle with McDonald’s for $20,000. However, McDonald’s refused to settle.
She did not want one million dollars, just $20,000 to cover her medical bills.

McDonald's was selling coffee many degrees hotter than other restaraunts, without informing them that it was extremely hot. Many people had been harmed as a result of this, yet McDonald's did nothing. Something had to happen, lest their negligence cause harm to more people.

Quote:
I know your going to argue that if they had just paid her in the first place it would have been much less and in fact they had settled other similar frivolus claims out of court
As stated above, legal action is all that consumers have to take against companies selling unnecessarily dangerous products. There was nothing frivolous about this lawsuit. McDonald's was negligent in their service, either in serving coffee that was far too hot in the first place or in failing to inform customers that it was as hot as it was.

Quote:
The legal standard should be what can we reasonably expect I submit that we can reasonably expect coffe to be hot and that if we dump it on ourselves we can reasonably expect it to burn everything else is nonsense.
Causing 3rd degree burns in 2 seconds is most assuredly not part of a resonable assumption that hot coffee is hot. It would be reasonable to expect minor burns and scalding, but not reasonable to expect hospitalization and skin therapy. There is a world of difference.

Once again, this case is not a valid example of a frivolous lawsuit. It was a perfectly legitimate, even necessary, lawsuit.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:14 AM

Private

Imperious_Leader is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comparisons Slick ,at home I only drink instant coffee which means bringing water to a boil and pouring it....so my coffee at home is aprox 22 degrees hoter than McDonalds...hmmm can you sue your self

AT I know I said this at the other forum but I'll say it again here I really only bought the game because of your mod and I'm sure I'm not the only one....for the bussiness your bringing in you deserve at least a beta test seat without having to compeat for it....hope the powers that be see this.....ok it's now 3:10 am my time got to go to bed ....this is almost as addictive as the game....hay wait the game is addictive could I sue....Ok Ok I'll give it a rest....I love a good debate once in a while....wait a sec thats kind of addactive too Ok I'm going to need all your real names and addresses so my lawer can contact you all.
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:17 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

You could not drink any liquid at 212 degrees. Your body would violently try to expel it. At best, you would get 3rd degree burns in your mouth and throat...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:18 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

There's a difference - You know how hot the coffee you make is.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:21 AM

Corporal

luke_slovakian is on a distinguished road

WOW i just of an idea that would make me a millionare....sell steam coffee no hot or boiling water. Just hotter steam that has the same taste and effects of water.
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperious_Leader said:
Thanks for the comparisons Slick ,at home I only drink instant coffee which means bringing water to a boil and pouring it....so my coffee at home is aprox 22 degrees hoter than McDonalds...hmmm can you sue your self

Not when you drink it its not. Else you wouldn't have much of a TOUNGE left.

Third degree burns on the inside of your mouth = no taste buds, severely damaged teeth, and probably a tounge and gums that bleed on and off for the rest of your life.

The severity of the burn is relevent. Say I sell you a car. Now, normal cars are have 0-60 times measured in the seconds. This hot rod has a 0-60 time measured in *centiseconds*.

I don't bother telling you this, and when you test drive it the slightest touch sends the car slamming forward into a wall.

Sure, the car performs like a normal car, just much faster. However its STILL my fault because you had no reason to belive the damn thing would do that!

Same here. She public admitted that doing what she did with the cofee was stupid. However the fact that the coffee was that hot made it worse, in that she didn't have any time to fix the mistake and the damage was much worse than it should have been.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:37 AM

Private

Ok I just can't get enough .....who needs sleep.

Imperator if your quote about McDonalds lowering their coffee'stemperature is from the same article you linked tgo then I belive that it said that this was just this one McDonalds and was still not the corperate position.

Forgive me but the temperature of their coffee and them giving rasor blades in their happy meals isn't even close to being the same thing there would be universal agreement that razor blades are dangerous there is not universal agreement that coffee should be 158 degrees or anyother number.

As for a reasonable expectation of first degree burns or scalding as aposed to third degree burns ....come on if she thought she was going to spill the coffee on her crotch she wouldn't have put it there.If she could prove that she had never had their coffee before I might be slightly swayed but what kind of warning do you need before you open it right against your crotch it already says on it caution hot or something to that effect WARNING DO NOT OPEN AGAINST YOUR CROTCH

All joking aside your actually a really good debater....you have swayed me .....well maybe just a little.Food for thought...no coffee please I'm giving it up.
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:39 AM

Sergeant

Sivran is on a distinguished road

The difference between 212 and 180 is also 32

And all I have to say is this:
I agree with Fyron. Therefore, it must be true.
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Private

Phoenix-D I can see where your coming from....wow your all really good debaters I know when I'm licked.....if your all this good at debating I hate to see how good you all are at the game.....I'm doomed.