Notices

Old April 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows Vista and Windows Seven Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPERTVS View Post
Ok Im re posting this question here since it seems to get more attention.

The press relase for the incremental patch says:

"The physical CD versions have now been reprinted to take advantage of the new installations and are available now, making them the perfect stocking stuffers for the grognards in your life. The digital download versions have also been updated if that method of delivery is your preference."

Im somewhat confused here, is there a new CD version? if so, what is exactly the difference with the old one?

Thanks in advance
The updated physical CD has had the new model windows vista/7 friendly installer file added to it instead of the old one. Otherwise, it is exactly the same.

The same goes for the other initial install modules, i.e. CD electronic download and free game.

cheers
Andy
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

A "perfect storm" situation occurred

We had already decided to build and issue a consolidation patch for both games early last summer to simplify the upgrade from V1 procedure when it was discovered during a stock audit that , co-incidentally, the physical CD stocks of both games was getting low and there would need be a new order for them placed probably near the end of the summer

After long discussion is was decided that this was the perfect time to upgrade everything to the current versions rather than just issue consolidation patches and re-stamp the CD's that needed to be re-ordered with V1 of both games. Since sales for both games differ and they were issued a year apart there had never been a time when BOTH games need to be re-ordered at the same time before and this is why the new CD's have the latest version instead of V1. If you own V1 installing the consolidation patch will bring that version to current levels.

FYI the next patch for both games will be issued next week and that patch will be applied AFTER the consolidation patch but if you own the "new" CD version all you need to do is install the new patch when it is issued..... you DO NOT need to install the consolidation patch into a newly issued CD version of the game.

Don
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much Don!

Please bear with my dumbness, I just want to make sure I got it right:

I bought my CDs back in 05, I assume they´re the V1 you´re refering to? They come with the installer for XP and all I have to do if I want to bring those up to date is just install them and immediately after that just run the consolidation patch for each one and after that the new upgrade patch and Im ready to go, right?

The installer issue confuses me a little Im sorry. As I understand, the original CD install path is intended for xp but consolidation patch and new upgrade have been updated so I have to redirect them manually if Im using xp?

Now, new CD versions have been issued, they´re already brought to latest version before the latest upgrade, right? and they have been updated with the new installers? so these new versions are intended to install under win 7-8 and the path for xp must be redirected manually or they will automatically set the path depending on my os?

It´s hard to believe it´s been almost 10 years already!

Regards
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you very much Don!

Please bear with my dumbness, I just want to make sure I got it right:

I bought my CDs back in 05, I assume they´re the V1 you´re refering to? They come with the installer for XP and all I have to do if I want to bring those up to date is just install them and immediately after that just run the consolidation patch for each one and after that the new upgrade patch and Im ready to go, right?

The installer issue confuses me a little Im sorry. As I understand, the original CD install path is intended for xp but consolidation patch and new upgrade have been updated so I have to redirect them manually if Im using xp?

Now, new CD versions have been issued, they´re already brought to latest version before the latest upgrade, right? and they have been updated with the new installers? so these new versions are intended to install under win 7-8 and the path for xp must be redirected manually or they will automatically set the path depending on my os?

It´s hard to believe it´s been almost 10 years already!

Regards
The old-model game installers will point at C:\Program Files\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\WinSPWW2

The new game installers use C:\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\WinSPWW2

In other words the "Program Files\" part of the path is removed.

It is mind-numbingly simple to change the old CD initial installer to use the new path!

Step 1 - assuming that you have some save games in progress in the old obsolete /program files/ folder that you want to keep - back these up by copying to a temporary folder.

Step 2 - Now uninstall the old game.

Step 3 - we will now reinstall the complete game form scratch but using the new style path.
We do that since all patches in the future will use that scheme, so now you wont now have to manually point to the old folder for each and every one.

When the path is shown in the old CD's game installer, you simply delete the bit in bold: C:\Program Files\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\WinSPWW2

Install the game there

Now, all you need do is install the new consolidation patch, and then the new version 6 patch in that order. These will now not require re-pathing as they are set up to use the path you just used to install the game to.

Finally, copy your saved games you backed up (if any) to the save game folder.

It really is as simple as that!

cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:31 PM

Sergeant

Thanks a lot Andy! it´s crystal clear now.

Though regarding my past post about the changes in the new CD version (post No. 30) I was left with the idea that the only difference is the win7-8 friendly installer. But now I see that the new CD version has the consolidation patch already built into it. Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
FYI the next patch for both games will be issued next week and that patch will be applied AFTER the consolidation patch but if you own the "new" CD version all you need to do is install the new patch when it is issued..... you DO NOT need to install the consolidation patch into a newly issued CD version of the game. Don
Thanks in advance
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks a lot Andy! it´s crystal clear now.

Though regarding my past post about the changes in the new CD version (post No. 30) I was left with the idea that the only difference is the win7-8 friendly installer. But now I see that the new CD version has the consolidation patch already built into it. Is that so?

YES. It is "built in" to the recently issued CD version

That is why I explained we had only originally intended to issue a consolidation patch last year but because stocks of both CD versions were running low and had to be re-pressed the decision was made to up date them to the same version as the consolidation patch rather than press a version 5 years out of date which is why we tell people who bought the game since the new version was released to check their version number on the main screen and only DL patches that are numbered higher than that. Anyone who bought the CD version in the last couple of months will see "winSPWW2 V5-CD" so they only need to install the new V6 patch and any that follow in the years to come

NONE of this would be necessary if I had been allowed to put the games directly under C:\ when they were first released but that was in the days before Vista and Win7 and there was no real reason to argue that decision but hindsight shows my first impulse would have saved A LOT of aggravation on both sides of the issue

Don
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:03 AM

Sergeant

Ok, I’m downloading vCD5.0. I felt nostalgic when I saw it labeled No. 5.

I remember being in front of my computer the moment winSPMBT went out back in 05, the interface used to be brownish back then. I stumbled upon DOSspmbt by complete accident just a month before joining, I had an old office pc that could run it like a charm and started playing just a week before winspmbt´s launch, though launch day was yet undisclosed.

My old pc didn´t have graphic accelerator so I had to stick with the dos version for a while, I joined the yahoo group just a couple of days before Don and Andy said good bye from there and moved to these boards

Some time has passed, the game´s been outstandingly improved and I’m not the same guy either ; So I guess Im watching the tree grow, feeling part of a great and very refined game.
Ok gentlemen, let´s carry on.

P.S. I suppose our V1 CDs became collectibles by now.
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:

P.S. I suppose our V1 CDs became collectibles by now.

NO !

The whole point of doing what we did was to ensure anyone who had bought the early version of the game could upgrade to current levels in a couple of easy steps......

1/Install the V1 CD as described by Andy four posts back

Quote:
When the path is shown in the old CD's game installer, you simply delete the bit in bold: C:\Program Files\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\WinSPWW2
so what you are left with is this:

C:\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\WinSPWW2

2/ THEN install the consolidation patch in the same place

3/ THEN install the patch we just released in the same place

Simple..... and when those steps are completed you have the most up-to-date version of the game.

Don
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Sergeant

Thank you very much Don.

Now that I think about it, I believe that 8 years of work on a single video game must be a record of some sort, I doubt there is another WW2TBS VG with the same amount of work put into it.

On the other hand, as a suggestion, I would like to see a pdf version of the updated manual.

Regards
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Windows Vista and Windows Seven Installation

I remembered there was something you had to do to get the Consolidation Patch loaded onto the V.1 CD. (Don and Andy's Posts #21 and #34 above.) a little search brought me to this thread and I had "I could've had a V8" moment. Good information will well...always be GOOD information especially since I see it's patch time and weird things always seem to happen around this time operator error or other. Have to get caught up on this game while awaiting my new WinSPMBT CD to arrive.

UPDATE: As I'm still running XP SP3 fully updated the trick for me was to have to ADD the Program Files BACK IN now my CD V.1 game has the Consolidation Patch loaded onto dated 26 FEB 2011. When I checked the Program path from the downloaded file it already had the "Program File" removed and Would Not load onto the game file; again until I reinserted "Program File" into the File Path.

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; March 26th, 2014 at 11:53 AM..