.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 19th, 2006, 12:49 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Roundhammer 1943 US Campaign (Spoilers)

I've been beating my head on the first mission in the campaign for the last two days; I'm just wondering:

Is 12 turns (36~ minutes) really enough time to rout entrenched defenders in good defensive positions?

I'd feel better if I had 20 turns (1 hour), it would give me time to methodically work suspected enemy targets over with artillery and to bombard them with tanks before moving my infantry up.

As it is, due to the 12 turn limit, I have to rush things, leading to casualties.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:36 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Roundhammer 1943 US Campaign

I edited the campaign to allow me to move on with a draw result, and I'm now on the second scenario, the D-Day invasion; which is awesomely cool; there's a lot of nice touches here, like the Luftwaffle actually being a threat.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Private

Panzermeyer is on a distinguished road

I haven't played this one yet, but over the years I've noticed that a majority of scenarios do not provide enough turns to employ cautious tactics. I think this is probably just a way to add a little difficulty to the game.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

If you re-read the introduction you will see........

"You've heard that old "Blood and Guts" wants to finish this campaign up as quickly as possible, and is pushing everyone and every machine to 110 percent. Rumor has it that the next target will be France. if that is true, the 1st Armored may soon be pulled out of the line, to begin training for an amphibious assault."

"............finish this campaign up as quickly as possible, and is pushing everyone and every machine to 110 percent"

you are given 875 rebuild points after the first battle. You are SUPPOSED to be rushed and it's not meant to be pretty.

"Patton" ( OR in this case, the campaign designer...) doesn't want you to......"methodically work suspected enemy targets over with artillery and to bombard them with tanks before moving my infantry up." Patton would cashier an officer who did so when he demanded speed and aggressiveness. If he wanted Montgomery to plan this attack he would have asked him .

He's asking you to go in fast and hard and kick *** and take names and not worry about "casualties"

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Patton would cashier an officer who did so when he demanded speed and aggressiveness. If he wanted Montgomery to plan this attack he would have asked him .

He's asking you to go in fast and hard and kick *** and take names and not worry about "casualties"

Well, this village is insanely hard to take without absurd casualty rates in the time frame given.

I suffered close to 30% casualties in my tank arm (out of 10 tanks, 3 were knocked out); average casualties in my infantry squads were 20% (from 12 men to about 10 men). One squad was down to about 6 men (50% casualties).

All of these casualties were suffered because the Germans had an insanely excellent setup; with their 50mm PaK 38s hiding in the trees, guarded by a MG-42 and Infantry squads in buildings. If you sent your infantry ahead to clear the Pak 38s out, they'd get munched by the infantry and MG-42, while if you sent the tanks in to kill the infantry and MG-42, the PaKs would get 'em.

Anyway, I had completely routed the enemy by turn 10; broken all of his important units, destroyed the MG nest, blown up the PaKs, etc.

There was nothing really dangerous standing between me and the final six victory locations still held by the Germans; except the clock. Extending it by a few turns would improve the scenario a lot IMHO.
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Here's my turn 6. All victory hexes have been taken. The game ended at the end of turn 7 with a marginal victory and the following casualty count for the US player

men- 78
apc- 7
afv-5

When it came time to rebuild my force for the start of the invasion I was given 875 points and "fix all" left me with 610 points unused for me to expand my core if I so desired.

FYI I have never played this campaign but I did have to correct this particular sceanrio some months back when we converted it to Windows so I did have a bit of an idea where some of the Germans were but I had in no way committed the disposition to memory.

My force selection was an "Armored team 42". I kept pressing "armred team 42" until I had no more core points left. I think it gave me a fairly good mix of units. My support selection was 81mm mortars

I generally play aggressivly but in in this case was really pushing to see how quick I could end it. A number of casualties at the end were incured through haste but the 875 points given to rebuild are more than enough

Don

.......and if I play conservatively after turn 6 I can cut the overall casualties by about 20% which in turn lowers the number of rebuild points I need to use up fixing units....
Attached Files
File Type: zip 425011-T6_roundhammer.zip (133.0 KB, 372 views)

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:26 AM

Corporal

Cameronius is on a distinguished road

Don,
Are you telling us that you actually get a chance to PLAY this game?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It's rare.... but I do when I can. ( I have to use my special 26-hours-in-a-day clock though....)

Don

Old May 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Private

MadGamer is on a distinguished road

As for the 1st campaign, getting all the perimeter Victory Locations is easy, as they are 100% undefended (unless you count the opels, lol). Send either a scout tank, scout car or barring either of those, a jeep with cav scouts up the top and around the back. That's what scouts are there for!

As for my question: I'm currently playing the 2nd mission. I bought green inf and I'm putting them down on the first wave like any good commander would do. However, I'm coming back for my M4s, and they just won't load on the (empty) LCM, even though they're in the same hex. Help! (can include save file if needed)
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I won't have time to test this until the weekend

Don