Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > KE Studios > War Plan Pacific
Notices

Old January 14th, 2009, 12:07 AM

Private

GeneralChaos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP Problem Fixed with Alternate Method

Well Alan, my internet connection is typical. Yes, its different than yours. But its TYPICAL. I know this because all games I have played online have worked with no problem(except WPP). Yes, maybe a firewall issue occurs, but a popup comes up and asks for program permission approval. And then no more issue and game works fine. But WPP is different. IMO, there is something missing in the WPP software to account for my typical internet connection. Hence why I had to edit the WPP file.

What I think is odd is how you fail to see that this MIGHT be a WPP problem. Yes, maybe the problem is on my end. I don't know. But funny how I fixed the problem by editing the WPP file which is not on my end.

Really need an EXPERT to comment here, enough of the wild goose chases for answers.
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:21 AM

Sergeant

JMHawkins is on a distinguished road

GeneralChaos,

I'm glad to see you have a solution for MP. Just so I'm clear on what was happening, if you have 0.0.0.0 in your UserSettings file, did you get a different IP address reported by WPP than by IPconfig?

Thanks,
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:42 AM

Private

Yes, WPP always stated what I believe to be my LAN IP address. WPP would only display the correct(internet) IP address until after I edited the UserSettings file (by replacing both "0.0.0.0" with the correct/actual internet IP address).
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Private

AlanBernardo is on a distinguished road

Not claiming to be a real expert, but I've been working with computers since the late 1980s.

I've discovered that you are an odd fellow with very little patience, not willing to do some simple things to try and get WPP working and always blaming the game, when for everyone MP has worked without any trouble at all.

I seriously doubt that what you say is happening is actually happening.

But you got it working and if you're happy then I guess your happy.

And the fact that your IP is changing so often-- as you
claim-- is far from typical.

Alan
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMHawkins View Post
GeneralChaos,

I'm glad to see you have a solution for MP. Just so I'm clear on what was happening, if you have 0.0.0.0 in your UserSettings file, did you get a different IP address reported by WPP than by IPconfig?

Thanks,
WPP has always given me my LAN address as my IP. I think that is the case with nearly everyone.

And even if it does give my LAN address, it still works.

Funny thing about GC is, he isn't even on a LAN (has no router, etc.)

Alan
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Private

First and foremost AlanB, thanks for TRYING to help.

Sorry, AlanB for not following your NON-EXPERT advise. IMO, your help seemed wasteful and which is why I cut you off. Why should I download some stupid IP program that some odd stranger says to download? And when I know that program is just going to tell the same ip address as whatsmyip.org or cmd/ipconfig does? I'm not an odd idiot. I got the game to work for me by myself. Geez!

Sorry AlanB to hear that you have been working on computers since the 1980's. I didn't know that you were so old(explains your oddness). Is that when computers were invented? Please be cool, odd old dude. lol
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im also ancient on the net but in addition I have worked for Internet providers.

Many ISPs maintain a small IP pool which they assign to a large body of customers randomly each time they connect. So for those customers such an arrangment is common. Not to mention people who are still using dialup and various other non-permanent solutions without a home network.

Gandalf Parker
--
1974 Gandalf Parker gets on the net
1979 UseNet was created
1983 the first TCP/IP network NSF net
1989 the merging of networks and birth of InterNet
1994 public WWW
So, yes I guess I am older than virtual dirt.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM

Private

does 'common' mean 'typical'?
And has it been a common practice since the 80's?
(lol....no reply needed)

Last edited by GeneralChaos; January 14th, 2009 at 05:35 PM..
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Im also ancient on the net but in addition I have worked for Internet providers.

Many ISPs maintain a small IP pool which they assign to a large body of customers randomly each time they connect. So for those customers such an arrangment is common. Not to mention people who are still using dialup and various other non-permanent solutions without a home network.
I'm only speaking from experience. I've had many diffent providers and with each and every one my IP stayed the same for months upon months. The only time my IP ever changed is when I used a diffent router.

It just seems odd that no one that I know of who plays WPP has to fiddle with anything in the UserSettings. Only GenChaos does. Thus, something isn't right with what GC is doing.

The program I told GenChaos about is a little 8k program. Upon execution, the program gives the user the WAN address and the LAN address, and allows simple copy-and-paste routines. I use it all the time: it is much easier to use than going to some website.

Alan
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralChaos View Post
Yes, WPP always stated what I believe to be my LAN IP address. WPP would only display the correct(internet) IP address until after I edited the UserSettings file (by replacing both "0.0.0.0" with the correct/actual internet IP address).
Explain to me how you can have a LAN address when you don't even have your computers hooked up through a router (or through any other mechanism)?

A LAN is an internal network. Outsiders cannot enter; only those conected to the LAN have access.

As such, everyone who has a LAN has similar LAN IP addresses, such as 192.168.1.101.

How WPP could report a LAN address when you don't have a LAN is beyond me. WPP does report my LAN address, which ends xxx.xxx.x.105.

Alan