.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Coliseum

Old November 10th, 2003, 01:31 AM

Private

Brian White is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions about the game?

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the info. I've come up with a few more questions as well so thanks for being so open to the prospect!

What things must you do in a typical game session? I'd imagine you have a season going, and you enter your fighters in the contest(s), but I've read that your fighters can get in trouble outside the arena. What types of activities do you do when not actively engaged in fights?

Are the fights always 1 on 1 or are there various types of fights to be entered?

In Roman times gladiator fights rarely ended in deaths (so I've read/seen). I realize the game is loosely based on this era, so can you expect one of the combatants to die in each fight or every now and then? I assume they not only can die in the arena, but also days later as a result of their wounds?

Regarding seasons and the final tournament, is the choice regarding which fighters get to fight in the championship based on your "school" (ie all 3 of your fighters results for the season), or an individual fighters performance over the season? It seems like injuries will force you to play a couple if not all of your fighters to make it through a season so I'm curious how this will work out.

Thanks again for answering questions about the game. If you don't want to answer something it's ok. I'm just trying to learn about the fun we'll soon be having when it ships!

[ November 09, 2003, 23:33: Message edited by: Brian White ]
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:02 PM

Sergeant

StormcloudCreations is on a distinguished road

Brian:

Here's some of the things you have to consider when not actively engaged in fights.

Like many of my other games, the progression of a turn is pretty freeform. You are assigned 3 randomly generated gladiators that make up your "team". You then (there are starter instructions that tell you this as well) choose a Primary fighter, that will be your fighter for the next bout, and will fight each bout unless you assign a new Primary one, which you can do before the next match starts.

There is a match-up screen where you can see the next gladiator you're going to fight, and compare their stats to your Primary fighter (along with your other fighters as well), and see the rest of the league's schedule as well (and bet Gold on the outcome of other matches, should you so desire). But there is a minor fatigue factor in the game, so you may need to switch out warriors occasionally and give your main ones a rest.

You can also decide on "enchantments" that have various effects on gameplay, and whether you want to purchase one or not. The two spell choices are randomized at the start of each game, and shuffled again after a spell wears off, or the start of each season. There are over 50 different enchantments currently.

Also, you can decide on potions for your fighters as well (think: steroids in the modern day athlete) and whether you want to use them before the upcoming match to hedge your odds a bit. As with real steroids, there can be short and long-term consequences, for some warriors anyway. But they're useful for a quick boost against a tough fighter. But it's up to you whether to use them or not.

The next thing you do is decide on advertising: in this world, getting more people to attend your matches means of course, more money. There are 6 different advertising options available, each a little different and more powerful (and more expensive) than the Last. Some increase revenue, attendance and the chance even of the King himself showing up for a match (which can add a multiplier to your earnings, generally 2X-10X). You can combine various forms of advertising, with varying effects each turn (sometimes it will work quite well, and sometimes it won't, just like real advertising). You decide what works for you.

Then you need to decide what to do with your non-Primary warriors. You can send them to training, and you select from various types of training (there are two intensities for each stat). But they can't do anything else while they're training, unless you remove them from training first.

You can do other roster stuff, like auctioning a warrior off that you don't like to another clan (3 randomly determined from over 100 different clans, with different preferences for warriors they're looking for), or releasing a warrior (both with a possible penalty to your Loyalty rating as a manager, which can affect contract talks down the road, since the arena world isn't overly fond of managers who just dump warriors or sell them off too often).

If you have empty slots, you can sign free warriors (or "free agents" in sports talk) to fill the slots. They're basically cast-off warriors from other clans that are looking for work. They tend to be a little older and not as high ceiling wise, but they're a little cheaper and tend to be a little more advanced stat wise early on.

You can read the news report as well between a normal turn, which gives you details about previous days events, and general Kingdom occurances, along with possibly important events that may involve your fighters or other fighters in the league.

So there are a few things to think about and consider each turn, as you can see.

Fights are 1 on 1.

It does look at an individual fighters record with regard to the playoffs, but its best to try to "ride one horse" most of the season, if possible. Yes, injuries play a role (another decision you have to make: should I keep a guy with a minor injury in there, even though it may slow down his healing, or give him some time to rest so he can heal faster?). The injury system use a "percentage" system, for instance, a minor injury may reduce his physical stats by 5%, or 6% or or 3% or whatever. More severe injuries may reduce a warrior stats by more than that. It's up to you whether to keep putting him out there or not. Managing this type of thing is part of the game.

Yes, rarely, warriors can die, both immediately during combat due to a lucky shot (rare) or due to injuries sustained during a fight.

Feel free to ask any other questions!
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:37 AM

Private

Ralph is on a distinguished road

Seems that I read somewhere that "side bets" will take place on various matches. Can you clarify exactly what this does to enhance the managers aspect of the game? My guess is that winning bets would help to enhance the manager.
Am I correct in stating that the goal of the game is not so much to be Mike Tyson as it is to be Don King?
I look foward to the release.( I have already preordered).
Ralph
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:43 AM

Sergeant

StormcloudCreations is on a distinguished road

Ralph: Winning wagers helps your Gold total, which is necessary for resigning your warriors, paying for spells or potions, buying advertising or promotion, training, etc. of course, losing wagers is a good way to bury yourself in a hole pretty quick.

Yep, very Don King-ish role you play in this one.
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Corporal

Rogue is on a distinguished road

Dude! There is *no way* I will be wearing my hair like Don King!

Heh, sorry, couldn't resist.