.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 14th, 2008, 09:15 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No Dom3 on Youtube?

I think I have a turn file with a pretty major battle from a mod game. Sombre's lizards versus llamabeast's tomb kings. It's not quite the kind of battle endoperez was talking about though.
Old December 14th, 2008, 10:09 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Im also considering some other YouTubes.

Taking screen shots of a god-build and the first few turns. Then turning it into a video with commentary. Kindof a short video tutorial to give people an idea of how many options the game has.

Taking screen shots of the scoreboard as a large game progresses, then put them together into an animated progression.
Sounds like you don't know the "Let's Play!" AAR of matryx, because that's exactly what he did. Got over two dozen people (those that we know of) inspired to buy the game after reading through that one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=2813783
Emergency comic relief
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sounds like you don't know the "Let's Play!" AAR of matryx, because that's exactly what he did. Got over two dozen people (those that we know of) inspired to buy the game after reading through that one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=2813783
Yes that one is fantastic. Llamabeast added it to Shrapnels "Call for AARs" post a year or two back. Gee, but I dont remember it having a video. I will have to go see if he has updated it.

I remember that it reminded me alot of my "Starter Gods" examples for Dom2 which I tried to get some interest generated in Dom3 since there were so many new nations that I couldnt quite get the motivation to do it.

Usually Im the one sounding like an old geezer of the net, but I do have to admit that some people will read an AAR like its a good book. And others, more and more lately, seem to only want it in a video format as if its a TV show. Especially if it comes with animation and commentary. Thats why Im thrilled to give my enthusiastic push to a YouTube project (or something better). I would love to see Matryx do a video of "Let's Play". Maybe I will pitch him the way to do it as a published book and/or a CD which he can sell at an online site and it wont cost him anything to do it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 22nd, 2008 at 12:17 PM..
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Yes, it always had video commentary for battles, but he had to move those to another video feed hoster recently, as the one he used previously discontinued the service for records of video games or something.
Emergency comic relief
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road

youtube sucks for dom3 videos. Did a commented turn and uploaded my first youtube video ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bifh7k45eI
given the bad codec/resolution of youtube, it was possibly also my last youtube upload ever :-)
have to look for a better video-sharing site. Too bad, because youtube has big potential for creating new dom3 addicts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horst F. JENS For This Useful Post:
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst F. JENS View Post
I really liked your narrative. And the Lesser Horrors. And the fact that the evil snake god got his comeuppance, it was very satisfying. Nice job!

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]

Last edited by MaxWilson; December 20th, 2008 at 07:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxWilson For This Useful Post:
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:14 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

That was awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMorrison For This Useful Post:
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst F. JENS View Post
youtube sucks for dom3 videos. Did a commented turn and uploaded my first youtube video ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bifh7k45eI
given the bad codec/resolution of youtube, it was possibly also my last youtube upload ever :-)
have to look for a better video-sharing site. Too bad, because youtube has big potential for creating new dom3 addicts.
I should look into what it takes to have Dom3Minions.com host them. I can easily make it available for download, and a link so people can get it. Not so sure about streaming it.
I should look into that.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road

That would be great.
Sadly i can not host the videos on my own site.
I'm a bit confused about all those different video hosting sites and still try to find out the differences.
My only experience so far is with www.showmedo.com , but that site specialize on open-source tutorials, not games.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

For people following this discussion....
it appears that making a video available is fairly simple altho not the easiest to find out about. Most searches want to steer you to fancy softwares that would be great if you wanted to control access and try to prevent users from downloading a copy.

The simplest answer:
is just a simple html link which leaves the viewing work to the browser at the users end.

From there it gets gradually fancier. Specifying which viewer, or putting it in a window embedded in the web page, or requiring the user to allow java or flash instead of using the viewer on their machine.

Here is a simply lowest-level answer I found if someone else wants to do this on their own webspace.
http://www.wikihow.com/Put-Video-on-a-Web-Page

Yeah I know. Im supposed to just do it and create oohs and ahhs about my server instead of continually saying how anyone can. I get slammed alot for that.

GEEK NOTE: this may just be a temporary answer since as of Aug 2008 there is a W3 workshop toward declaring video a first-class citizen of the web instead of an extension.
www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 22nd, 2008 at 12:44 PM..