.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 31st, 2012, 06:37 PM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

thank you for those replies. That pleases me to hear, since I am not looking for a "simpler" Dom3 for MP (or rather: one with comparably incompetent AI). If the devs also plan on supporting this game's SP aspects like they have been supporting Dom3s issues, I will be very pleased indeed (e.g. updates to AI). Thank you much, looks like I'll be preordering. Erm, I just see that's not on shrapnel's store -- odd. Don't know that one. Maybe not preordering?
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If you check out the progress page for CoE3
http://jaffa.illwinter.com/coe3/coe3progress.html
you will notice AI getting mentioned often. Johan tends not to be too specific what he did when he posts it (he likes to surprise us) but they do show up often. I think he enjoys it. I dont think we could keep Johan from tweaking the AI even long after the game is released.

There is also trigger commands that the players can use to write responses into a map. You can create your own events and surprises. Entering an area, or a site, could trigger a sudden increase of enemy units becoming available. Getting too many of a certain unit might trigger a revolt where many of them switch sides. I cant wait to see what the fertile minds here come up with.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onomastikon View Post
(...) Thank you much, looks like I'll be preordering. Erm, I just see that's not on shrapnel's store -- odd. Don't know that one. Maybe not preordering?
The game will not be sold by Shrapnel, but by desura.com, where you can already pre-order if you wish (it will save you a few $/€)
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:21 AM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Pre-ordered and counting down.....

Old February 1st, 2012, 05:50 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Just preordered the game

The AARs are gr8. Thanks!
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:18 AM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much.
Unless I am mistaken, I realize that you, Mr. Parker, are a particular SP fan and (while our opionions of when a game is a "good" one for SP may differ, since you appear to rate Dom2-3 much higher on SP-applicability than I do) hence I take your words as great approval. As you can see, I am greatly satisfied with Dom3 as my NUMBER ONE multiplayer game (I cannot imagine a better one), and I am not looking for another similar one to enhance my MP experience. I need, however, a good SP fix.

I still have 2 brief questions, if I may, 1 about the product and one about the distribution.

Product: Am I right in gleaning what I could from the video that the turns are not entirely simultaneous? That is, your units move around the map and only combat is processed at the end of the turn? Or is combat also not simultaneous? (It almost looked as if you could click on stuff and give orders during combat.) I mean all this is assuming that that black screen with figures on it was the combat screen. (Will there be a battlefield with terrain or is the black screen what the devs envision?)

Distribution: Sorry to continue to pester you on this, I've never heard of Desura but if you all trust it, then that speaks for it. The lack of information there confuses me a bit, however. May I ask?
- "product is delivered digitally": so I get to DL it one time? A certain number of times? What happens when I change machines? Sorry this is important for me before preordering, which I normally never do anyhow.
- Is it like Steam in that I need to have an internet connection to play certain games (e.g. be logged onto steam to start a game launch)? Or can I DL the product and then proceed to play on laptop w/out internet? Also important for me as an SP player.
- Why is Illwinter leaving Shrapnel for Desura? Not that I am married to Shrapnel, I would MUCH prefer digital distribution anyhow (I live in Europe and dislike overseas shipping costs), and the price seems much more suited to a wider target group than Shrapnel's pricing of Dom2-3 was -- just curious really.

Thank you so very much.
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:56 AM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road

How does the resource system / economic model work in CoE3?
I guess it's more simple than in Dom3, isn't it?

Can you build stuff? Cities? Buildings?
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:09 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

The resource system is much simpler. They go by different names, but essentially all classes require some different special resources (like gems of a different path) for their specific rituals.

Rituals are class specific in the sense that they are available only to certain commanders of a certain class, but if another player charms that commander, he can use those same rituals. Charm a warlock, use elemental summonings. Charm a necromancer, gain necromancy etc.

You can't build stuff like cities, forts etc. Some classes can do some very limited terraforming (Burgmeister can change farms to Hoburg Villages, under certain circumstances anyone can burn down forests and the enchanter destroys lots of stuff to build things).
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

Is this possible outside from charm to get access to other casters or units that thos available from start ?

Some special site allowing you to recruit special units maybe ?

There was talks previously on special recruitable not showing all turns, maybe some casters can show there as mercenaries ?
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:31 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Some mages appear as mercenaries and some you can summon. Mage being here anything from an actual mage to a demon or other fantastic being capable of casting rituals.

Some wizards can be recruited, but they do not know any rituals, just combat magic. There are no sites that allow you to recruit special units, but some sites increases the chances of getting offers from wizards, and other sites increase the chance of getting priest offers for recruitment.

And mages are always announced special recruitment. Something like Dai Bakemono for the Bakemono or goblin archers for Troll King can appear unannounced and disappear next turn, but wizard recruitment is always accompanied by a recruitment offer message.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post: