.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lanka: unit stats, comments and tips

Quote:
TwoBits said:
Now that we've had a while to play around with them, any other Lanka tips and advice out there?

Personally, I'm trying to figure out a use for the Rhakshasis.
They have two 100% randoms, so there's a chance you'll get a D3 or N3 mage, which is pretty unlikely with the others. You'll want one or two to forge some items. Otherwise I dunno, 350 gold for an assassin that still is likely to die if your target is quick enough to attack in round one... risky.
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I've tested out the Rhakshasis myself, and they just seem too expensive to risk in an assassin's role, at least in an MP game. Are there any ways to increase the chance of a seduction? Items that increase penetration perhaps?

If not, sounds like they're only worth buying for a chance at D3 or N3 (at 350 a pop though, that's an expensive bet).

Well, we'll see if anyone comes up with another idea for them.

Until then, I'll toss out a few Lanka tips for others to try:

1. Find a crap province next to the capitol (swamp or something is good), and start re-animating ghouls. Even a lowly indie priest can do it! About 2/3 of your ghouls should be big monkey-ghouls (how cool is that!) who are about double the power of regular ghouls. Not bad for a province that might otherwise go to waste. The unit description (I forgot their name unfortunately) says the odds for killer ghoul-monkeys declines markedly the further away from the capitol, but I haven't tested out by how much.

2. 15 death gems and a little research can easily get you into the water! 3 gems and Ench 2 get you a Mound King commander, I think, and 12 gems and Conj 2 get you 20 Ganas. They are poor amphibians still, but their ethereal ability should keep them in the fight long enough to rout armies consisting only of your average Joe-merman or triton. If you want a little more insurance, you can fill out your force with some re-animated soulless or longdead (or use 12 more gems for another batch of ganas to be extra sure).

On another note, in an SP game once, I GoRed some of those 4-armed Davanas, with very nice results, as they tended to get some random levels of air/death/priest magic to go with their giant size and multiple limbs...
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hmm, no action here recently, so I'll ask another question:

What should be done with Lanka's national hero? I forget the name, but the 4-armed fallen angle thingy with blood-3.

Seems like 4 deadly weapons in 4 flailing hands might be nice, but the low HP (only 28?) seems to rule out any real SCing. You'd get more 4-armed fun out of GoRing those size-6 national blood summons. All I seem to do is use it as a blood hunter. A fairly good one, to be sure, but seems kind of a waste.

Does Lanka have another hero? This is the only one I've ever seen.
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

cat charm increases chance of seduction on women, bear charm on men, I think.

I dunno about GoRing blood summons, but the mandaha is hands down the best non-unique SC chassis in EA.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM

Corporal

Aleph is on a distinguished road

Demons are immune to disease. I've put fever fetishes on them and they don't lose hp.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wish_For_Blood_Slaves said:
cat charm increases chance of seduction on women, bear charm on men, I think.
I don't, it certainly didn't in Dom2.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:38 AM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

well the whole gender thing was a non-issue in dom 2, as there were no male seducers (I don't know if dom 3 has them or not, but it makes the distinction that you can't seduce the same gender - were as in dom 2 it was said women simply could not be seduced...)

I know cat charm was supposed to make women prettier, (thus increasing the succubus' chance of seduction.) where as the bear charm could give her a beard. (the only other seducer being the demon lord who had some other command besides seduce)

maybe I am just misinterpreting flavor text, but i didn't just make that up, I read it somewhere. (for dom 2)
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:51 AM

Sergeant

Olive is on a distinguished road

I just discovered this nations 3 days ago and... it's already one of my favorites.

Quote:
[*] Kala-Mukha (160 gold, sacred, B?HH, ?=100%(ADNB)) can get you B2 mages which you can use to start blood hunting before you have access to SDR, or to cast Bowl of Blood when you have reached Blood-2; the other ones (ABH2, DBH2 and NBH2), I used mainly for H2 (Sermon of Courage), preaching, and occasional item forging;
I mainly use them as cheap chaff factories.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

That's fun : Bandar Log is mainly an underdog, Lanka is now a kind of ubernation. No real weakness, lots of good units and nat'l summons, many magic paths/strategies possible.

But sure they're pretty cool and fun !
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

Devasura (the fallen Devata) is the Hero I'm wondering about. He seems interesting if you get him early in the game, but later seems pretty puny compared to a Davana that's been Gift of Reasoned (96HP, size-6, sacred, and once gifted gets H2 and an occasional level in air and/or blood). Guess Devasura's not much more useful than a 4-armed blood slave catcher.

Has anyone spotted another Hero for Lanka?