.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEV After Action Reports

Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:09 AM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Empires

2403.7 – The Thebean home world falls before the Orion Imperium and the First Intersystem War ends after a brief 2 years and 8 months.

2403.8 – Recent breakthroughs lead to advances in industrial production and hull engineering. A new vessel class dubbed the Light Cruiser, a 450kT monster, is one such new hull. In all actuality though, the larger vehicles are not so much a reflection of the recent advances as they are a capitalization of existing technology. Thanks to SAAB’s development of small craft ships no longer need to be designed and reinforced for landing on planets. Instead they can use small craft for shuttling personnel and other necessaries. By having at least one dedicated boat bay designers can free themselves of the need to land the hulls. Although several companies offer to create and present designs DoD turns down all offers. On the advice of Sky Marshal Kana development of a new ship class will wait to see what new goodies are developed. Besides with the Agamemnon class DD in full production swing there is no need to rush another design.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:12 AM

Brigadier General

2404.2 – The Raytheon Corp introduces to Sky Marshal Kana and Chairman Shoebach (the Chairman of DoD) a new weapons defense system which fires non-nuclear interceptor missiles at incoming standard mode missiles. This Basic Point Defense system is not very effective and has an extremely short engagement range. Field tests show it is not effective enough to give a single ship a firm upper hand over another. Despite its shortcomings Sky Marshal Kana believes that it is a worthwhile system and gives the go ahead for further testing. He assures the Raytheon CEO that any time and money spent by his company will be worthwhile as this system will be included on any future designs; but not any refits. The Department of Exploration [DoEx] Chairman; Chairman Whitmore, is so pleased with the field trials of the Quasar Class FG he requests funding for an additional 4; however, instead of asking SAAB for Cutters he requests Shuttles for their greater endurance.

2404.5 – LRM Manufacturers arranges a demonstration of a weapon system they have developed for Sky Marshal Kana, Chairman Schoeback, President Shang, and a few other notable dignitaries. Despite Kana’s protesting that it is unwise to make himself such a vulnerable target Shang agrees to go. The group is shuttled up to a freighter barge and treated to a fine meal. After which they are lead to the starboard side of the ship which has been completely covered by a screen giving the illusion of there being no hull. The CEO of LRM clears his throat for attention. CEO: “You have all been speculating as to why I have asked you here. Obviously this is something of great import to go to such lengths and expense. I could tell you why, but I feel seeing will convey the message far better than I could.” A sudden shudder nearly throws a guest or two to the deck. On the screen five things leap from the outer hull of the ship and speed off into the depths of space. The screen constantly refocuses to keep these things just far enough away to prohibit a clear view. Soon enough another ship starts to take form. The things home in on the ship and with a blinding flash end there journey in nuclear fire. The screen quickly polarizes but not before causing the guests to cringe. CEO: “This is what we are calling an External Ordinance mounted Standard Missile. There is no internal launcher to tie up valuable space. It can only be used once per engagement since you must lower the drive field and have a two man team physically carry another missile to reload the rack. And you can only fit a certain quantity depending on the size of the ship. This may not sound like such a great trade off except consider this final tid-bit. A single Agamemnon with XO mounts has the first round fire power of three Agamemnon combined.” His point made the CEO walks back to the dinning hull leaving more than one mouth agape.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Brigadier General

2404.6 – This month the Senate approves Chairman Whitmore’s request for 4 more Quasar Class FGs and accompanying small craft. The Senate also earmarks funds for the upgrading of all Agamemnon Class DD to the Agamemnon II Class; the only difference being the new version mounts 6 XO Standard Missile racks. The Senates generosity does not end there though. Since two more Wyoming Space Yards have come on line this month (bringing the total to four) the Senate agrees to fund the production of 2 new Galaxy Class LC [Light Cruiser]. This ship, which will be the largest warship the Republic has ever undertaken, was designed by Sukhoi Aero-Space Industries. The Galaxy Class (attached) utilizes 9 Military Engines to accelerate it to 6km/s. Offensive capability is provided by 5 Missile Launchers, 1 Laser, and 8 XO Standard Missiles. Defense is in the form of 2 Basic Point Defense cannons, 4 Shield generators, and 40kT of armor wrapped around the outer hull. Construction time for 1 Galaxy Class LC is 5 months. One of these new flagships of the Republic is earmarked for Admiral Derek who was just promoted and charged with command of the newly formed Republican Guard. Six Agamemnon II Class DDs are also earmarked for this fleet.

Derek: “Thank you Sky Marshal for giving me this opportunity, I assure you I will not let you down.”
Kana: “I really don’t give a d*** about you letting me down or not. All I care about is this Republic and if you fail her I will push you out the nearest airlock personally.”
Derek’s mood turns frosty “Sky Marshal with all due respect you don’t have the authority to relieve me… forcibly… or not. That power is reserved for the President.”
Kana turns equally cold “Make no mistakes Derek; he is nothing but a political puppet for the corporations that fund his campaigns. I am the Navy and the defense for this Republic. You do your job if the Republic calls on you and everything will be fine. Otherwise I will make it my mission in life to see you and your family disgraced and dishonored. Do I make myself CRYSTAL_CLEAR Ad-Maw-Rule?”
Derek noted the way Kana pronounced the word Admiral, more of an insult than a rank. Looking at the Sky Marshal he suddenly understood why this man didn’t have a wife and children. He felt sadness and pity but tucked both aside before they could become expressions on his face. Kana didn’t deserve those feelings from him or anyone else. Kana had chosen to sacrifice his personal life for the Republic. If the Sky Marshal wanted dedication to duty than that is what he would get. Derek managed a weak smile before replying “Sky Marshal I will die before failing. Failure means my family is lost too.” With a sharp click Derek snaps off an academy crisp salute “Hail the Republic” and spinning in place leaves the Sky Marshal standing alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 484480-Galaxy.jpg (174.2 KB, 834 views)
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:45 AM

Brigadier General

2404.8 – This month sees a great leap forward for the Republic. Ariane-Space; a company with an established history in satellites, presents for the Department of Interior Affairs [DoIA] a new satellite system they are calling the Deep Space Buoy [DSB]. This system has the detection range and power of the Survey Instruments system on ships but comes in a stand alone package with station keeping drives which allow it to remain on location performing observation duty. Ariane-Space developers suggest that the Republic can use them for remote observation of wp’s not within the detection range of a colonies sensor net. The optimal placement depends upon the effect desired. Chairman Hayle of DoIA is so impressed with the system he request that they be placed throughout the Republic. The Senate agrees that this is a wise move and provides the funding. When asked about a system to deploy the DSB Ariane-Space drops the proverbial ball. It seems that their R&D section for that part of the package has yet to produce results. The Ariane-Space CEO assures Chairman Hayle the system will be developed in 6 months or less. I suppose the Ariane-Space CEO could stand to take a few lessons from the LRM CEO.

2404.9 – The Archanid Oligarchies 1st Fleet finally breaks into the home system of the Imperial Council of Terra. The 1st begins probing for planets as it awaits support units to refill its magazines and supply holds. During their probing they stumble across two separate Terraen DD which appear to be on course to reinforce the now defeated wp defenders. Although reduced to 50% its original strength the 1st smashes them both easily in detail.
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Brigadier General

2405.1 – Ariane-Space finally makes good on its promise to deliver a deployment system for their new DSB system. They also provide the plans for a ship; the Evansville Class Corvette [CT] (not attached but can be upon request). The CT is a 160kT hull design, old technology but useful for this purpose and most importantly it will only take 2 months for a Wyoming to build one. Cost is not a factor for the Republic; the challenge is always in build time. The first in a series of colony ships has been completed this month and sent to the Epsilon Ceti System which contains 3 habitable and 5 hostile planets; 8 prime colony sites in one system! It will take years to completely populate and build up the system; however, once complete it is sure to become the most powerful single solar system in the Republic. Also completed this month is the TRNS Galaxy; Admiral Derek wastes no time in introducing himself to his ship captain, assembling his command staff, and setting up his command center. Once fully settled in he gives Kana a buzz:
Derek: “Good day Sky Marshal.”
Kana: “Good day Derek, I assume you are settled in and fully prepared for business?”
Derek: “Yes Sky Marshal. Do you have any marching orders for me; maybe a cruise out to the Epsilon Ceti System? Show the colonist the Republic Navy is always present and ready to defend them.”
Kana: “That sounds fine Admiral, you may fly your flag as you see fit. Return here before the end of the year. Is there anything else Admiral?”
Derek: “Just one thing. I wanted to take this opportunity; Sky Marshal, to point out that I now have 7 of the most powerful warships the Republic has ever conceived and built under my direct command. I now have enough fire power to burn every planet in the Republic into radioactive dust and not even have to stop to take on ammo. So; with all do respect Sky Marshal, the next time you want to threaten my family please remember that even one of my nukes would be overkill for your little office; Derek out.” Cutting the comm line Derek leans back in his command couch: That felt good. Pushing another set of buttons the vid screen jumps to life again but this time the face of a handsome young man appears. “Captain Ward please set course for the Epsilon Ceti system and issue the same order to the rest of the fleet.”
CPT Ward: “Yes Sir immediately, where in the system are we going?”
Derek: “At your discretion my fine Captain. Oh and do me one last favor if you please. After issuing the order run a full diagnostic on all commo equipment. That should take a few hours to complete.” Derek severs the connection and settles even further into his couches cushions: Yes, that felt very good.
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:18 AM

Brigadier General

2405.2 – This month the Senate authorizes the construction of 5 shuttles, 11 DSB, 1 Galaxy Class LC, and 6 Agamemnon Class DD’s. Colonization efforts continue and President Shang gears up for next years elections. Scheduling a private conference with Kana he gauges his current standing with the “Old Man of the Republic.”
Shang: “Good morning Kana, thank you for joining me for breakfast. So, how are things going in your ivory tower up there?”
Kana: “Fine sir, my staff and I have completed moving and have set up shop. We are now tying down the last lines of communication.”
Shang: “Excellent, I didn’t expect you to move from groundside, what caused the move anyway?”
Kana: “Let’s just say it was a move to a better defended vantage point.”
Shang: “Better what? I don’t follow you; Tal-Re is impervious to attack!”
Kana looking a little more cross: “President-Elect why have you called me here? This has nothing to do with the upcoming elections I hope? You may be my boss but I work for the Republic and the Senate that represents it; not your personal political agenda.”
Shang leans back in his chair takes a bite of food and chews longer than necessary before replying: “Kana let me explain a little something to you. I am not just the President your boss. I am your personal angel.” Shang leans forward putting his weight on the table: “You see Kana more than a few people would like nothing more than to see you put in charge of a broom closet. Me; I like you because I know what you stand for. As long as you play nice and work with me there will be no problems. However; should you step out of lines I can find you a nice desk job in a far off section of the Republic were no one will hear you screaming.”
Kana: “Are you threatening me Mr. President?”
Shang: “Never; I don’t threaten I make promises. It comes with the job you know. The people elect me therefore I am the Republic for which YOU stand!” replies Shang leaning back in his chair pointing at Kana’s chest.
Kana: “I could kill you right now, who would be screaming then?”
Shang: “Watch yourself Kana, you are playing with fire.”
Kana leans back in his chair and eyes Shang I could kill him before his guards make it in here. No he isn’t worth my job: “What do you want Shang?”
Shang: “You to make these eight appearances with me over the next six months” Shang reaches into a folder lying on the table and slides a sheet across to Kana. “Do me this favor and I will see to it that you get plenty of goodies to shoot the bad guys with.”
Kana: “Fine whatever, I do this and you get off my back deal?”
Shang: “Done, but there are two more things…”
Kana growing terse: “What?”
Shang: “First it’s not Shang its Mr. President; and second… pass the salt.”