Notices

Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:38 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wide screen BETA test - for CD owners only

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefCon3 View Post
My apologies Andy and Don. I was certain I had turned autohide off on my PC yesterday when I was testing WinSPMBT at various resolutions. Don's email prompted me to look again however and, sure enough, it was turned on. As soon as I turned it off the program filled the screen in windows mode. WinSPMBT looks fantastic on a 24" monitor and plays very smoothly as well - what a great enhancement to the game. My thanks and, again, sorry for the misinformation.

Given my obvious mistake, I decided I'd better double check my 1366x768 laptop. It definitely does not fill the screen, even with autohide turned off. The best I can get from it is 1280x1024 but that just about fills the screen so I'm happy. I will, however, look at your system RAM and graphics suggestions Andy.

Thanks again for your support. Looking forward to seeing WinSPWW2 on the big screen.

Larry
My new windows 7 laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545 with 1366x768 monitor.

In windowed mode it displays exactly the same behaviour as you describe.

In Full Screen mode it works fine.

It seems to be the width - Any of the 4:3 resolutions that are smaller in width than 1366 work, even though some are deeper in depth than 768. The deep part is cropped to fit the task-bar fine.

Setting the Dell to use 1024x768 desktop produces a reduced screen (it does not seem to stretch like others do - it simply postage stamps the screen!). That works with all modes just fine.

There are apparently some monitors that come with 1360x768 and I would be interested in hearing if any of our users run one of those in windowed mode and if it works. Maybe 6 pixels makes a difference?. In which case I may have to write a special bit of code for 1366 wides.

Andy
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:45 PM

And just to reply to myself.. !

One thing that I just noticed (and will have to check for myself to see if it is 100% true)

It looks like every monitor resolution that works fine, is divisible by 4 with no fraction remaining.

But 1366/4 = 341.5...

Andy
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

WE ARE ASKING EVERYONE WHO HAS TRIED THIS MBT GAMEOPTIONS BETA AND WHO ARE RUNNING THE GAME IN FULLSCREEN MODE TO PLEASE TRY THE ATTACHED CMD FILE AND LET US KNOW IF YOU SEE ANY DIFFERENCE WHEN THE GAME STARTS.

Unzip the attachement to your main game directory

We are interested in feedback not only from the people that the first one worked for but also from anyone that still had trouble with fullscreen mode after trying this the first time around.

THIS GAMEOPTIONS BETA AND THIS NEW CMD FILE HAVE NO AFFECT ON WINDOWED MODE AND ANYONE RUNNING WINDOWED MODE NEED NOT TRY IT

HOWEVER.... IF YOU GAVE UP ON FULLSCREEN MODE BECASUE OF PROBLEMS INTRODUCED SINCE WIN7 WAS RELEASED PLEASE TRY THIS << IN FULLSCREEN MODE >> AND LET US KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU

THANK YOU

Don
Attached Files
File Type: zip Win7SPMBTb.zip (180 Bytes, 144 views)

Last edited by DRG; February 4th, 2011 at 07:27 PM..
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Is this going to affect any on going PBEM games?
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

No. This gets the game started only if you are running the game full screen. . It has no affect on gameplay and no effect on PBEM.

Don
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
And just to reply to myself.. !

One thing that I just noticed (and will have to check for myself to see if it is 100% true)

It looks like every monitor resolution that works fine, is divisible by 4 with no fraction remaining.

But 1366/4 = 341.5...

Andy
1366 pixel wide wide screen monitors require the code to adjust width to 1360 when playing in windowed mode. The code now does that, so the squashed screen in windowed mode for 1366x1024 monitors is now fixed.

This implies that those of you whose monitors are the 1360x1024 should be fine re the squashed problem, though I would still like to hear from any users who have such a screen resolution (some Dell monitors, apparently?).

I would also like to hear from any others where their native resolution does this thing as well, in order to find out about other weird wide-screen native pixel sizes. So if your monitor produces squashed screen in windowed mode "desktop" but happily plays in that resolution in full screen "desktop" - do let us know.

Andy