Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 20th, 2008, 05:36 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Repair vehicle and units

Recovery and repair to be sure is outside the scope of our grand game.

I know and have seen in peacetime Exercises vehicles recovered in what would be normally under fire in a real battle but only because they are so expensive.

In combat under fire or the threat of fire even a flat tire, can be an immobilization kill until the threat is removed. I've driven a vehicle with a flat out of an area under fire, but I'd damned if I was going to risk lives to fix it with incoming rounds all over our LOC. (I'm sure that Recce 4x4 would have had 1 point of damage since we could get it moving, not to mention some suppression applied to the crew, my partner and I
!) IMHO

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM

Corporal

gingertanker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Repair vehicle and units

fact is vehicles wre and will be towed away under fire. another fact is that rear echelon units like the comapany and baetallion support and logistics arnt in the game(exept for ammo). might as well ask for medics to take care of your walking wounded and a USO show to boost up morale
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertanker View Post
fact is vehicles wre and will be towed away under fire.
Just to make sure everyone's clear, I don't think any of us has disputed this. The issue is one of the instant load/unload rather than it happening at all. It should take more than one turn to do it, and with the way the load code works, this isn't possible.
Old December 21st, 2008, 03:28 AM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

Also, the initial comments in the thread were about game time repairs of immobilization, either due to combat or non-combat causes.

Towing away a disabled tank probably would depend on the current situation. It doesn't seem to be something they would likely attempt if there is a great risk of losing the ARV. Losing the ARV wouldn't help anything. I'm not saying it's not done, but that it would be something that would be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:54 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Re immobilisation, I recall an incident from 6th Para Div landing in Normandy, the Tetrarch got stuck in a tangle of parachute webbings, the crew tried fruitlessly to cut the ropes etc., but in the end they had to risk a bit - they borrowed a flamethrower and set the ropes on fire en masse.
)
EDIT: Re. changing the tire under fire, it was enough for me to change it in a side lane on a mtorway, with trucks passing right behind my back...
Old December 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek_Tucan View Post
Re immobilisation, I recall an incident from 6th Para Div landing in Normandy, the Tetrarch got stuck in a tangle of parachute webbings, the crew tried fruitlessly to cut the ropes etc., but in the end they had to risk a bit - they borrowed a flamethrower and set the ropes on fire en masse.
That's interesting and a quite creative solution.

Quote:
EDIT: Re. changing the tire under fire, it was enough for me to change it in a side lane on a mtorway, with trucks passing right behind my back...
I've done that before and agree.
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Just to make sure everyone's clear, I don't think any of us has disputed this. The issue is one of the instant load/unload rather than it happening at all. It should take more than one turn to do it, and with the way the load code works, this isn't possible.
It takes between 10 to "you name it" minutes actually.

Quote:
Towing away a disabled tank probably would depend on the current situation. It doesn't seem to be something they would likely attempt if there is a great risk of losing the ARV. Losing the ARV wouldn't help anything. I'm not saying it's not done, but that it would be something that would be evaluated on a case by case basis.
You dont need an ARV to tow a tank. You can do it with any other tank or tracked vehicle that is strong enough.
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post

That's interesting and a quite creative solution.
Also quite dangerous - I take it the crew were pretty desperate about the stuff. i cannot imagine non-desperate tanker aiming a flamethrower at his wagon, esp. if it is full of ammo and fuel...
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Also quite dangerous - I take it the crew were pretty desperate about the stuff. i cannot imagine non-desperate tanker aiming a flamethrower at his wagon, esp. if it is full of ammo and fuel...
Not to mention a Tetrarch with all the protection of an ice cream cone.
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertanker View Post
Quote:
You dont need an ARV to tow a tank. You can do it with any other tank or tracked vehicle that is strong enough.
True. I was getting a bit of tunnel vision. Another tank could tow one as long as the tank being towed isn't mired where it can't easily be reached. There are lots of examples where tanks were just left stuck where they were, but there are also lots of examples of tanks being towed out. In the end, it boils down to the desire to do so.