.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I Deal with Living Statues and Raiding Tarts?

Golem vs. Tart: Holy Scourge would be a better choice. With the Golem's base ST of 25, the extra 9 points of damage (AP) is less important than the Scourge's 2x attacks. Suppose the Tart has Prot 28. Flambeau will do (25 + 13)x3 - 28/2 points of damage on average, for 100 points of damage on average. Holy Scourge will do (25 + 4)x2 - 28 points of damage for 59 points of damage on average, twice, for a total of 118 points of damage. That's 18% more damage for 1/3 the cost (Holy Scourge is 5 gems, Flambeau is 15).

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

Tolkien is on a distinguished road

Hmm, good point.
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Flambeaus are good for any particularly prized SCs due to the extra defense, but if you're just trying to lay down the hurt the scourges are much better, and cheaper, and lay on more of a multi-attack defense penalty, especially with multiple thugs.
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Corporal

Aristander is on a distinguished road

I just want to thank everyone for your suggestions. You have given me much to think about.

What if I do not have any fire for the flambeau?
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM

Sergeant

statttis is on a distinguished road

As R'lyeh you can forge herald lances, which also do 3x damage vs undead.
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

Herald Lances are also one-handed so you can have golems dual-wield them.
Old August 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Corporal

Aristander is on a distinguished road

Yea Baby! Duel-wielding Herald Lances I like the sound of that!
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Sergeant

SlipperyJim is on a distinguished road

Won't dual-wielding Herald Lances cause an Attack penalty? Golems have a pretty lousy Attack rating without any penalties....

Add a Ring of the Warrior and a Burning Pearl if you can.
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

Problem with that of course is unless there's ambi, it's a -7 attack for each lance compared to Holy Scourge's +3 attack. So a -10 attack difference, with 20 Astral Pearls v. 5 Fire Gems. So It's not as effective. Course there is a +2 damage for the lance over the scourge, but it's a minor +8 damage total. So averaging 126 damage (including quickness) compared to 118 damage, assuming all attacks hit. The problem is, Golems start with 8 attack base and -5 attack just doesn't help, I mean 2 attack? So if you can get a F1 mage (by any means, I don't know, wish or summons, do it. Buy them from someone).

Actually, I noticed a small error (or maybe just a typo) with your calculations ((25+4)x2), so I'll go over them all over again. As for other items besides these weapons, I'd put on a quickness item most definitely, and extra strength/attack skill items (and a flying or berserk item if you can fit it in) to make the golem an effective anti-tart. In terms of non-uniques, the only ones that'll really help you are Horned Helm and Spirit Helm (both for damage), as we're only concerned about doing maximum damage in one turn, and MR generally isn't an issue when countering tarts (and fear will do nothing). With boots I would go with either Flying Shoes or Giant Strength (+5 str) (with flying especially good if you are going to disrupt their buffing cycle). With armor I would go with Jade Armor for your quickness, and for items I would go with Bear Claw Talisman, Lychantropos' amulet, Girdle of Might, Burning Pearl, Ring of the Warrior, and Stone Bird (and maybe , with the first three for extra strength and the fourth and fifth if you want extra attack (you probably do, since Golems have horrible attack to begin with). Your Golem then can get a max of +14 strength (boots, Bear Claw, and Lychantrops', not including berserk strength) or +9 attack +5 strength, not including special effects (berserk, lightning bolt, Gore, +4 attacks from Stone Bird and +3 attack, +3 defense from quickness).

Flambeau
+4 attack, +2 defense, 13 (AP) damage, fire on target, 15 Fire Gems (11 Gems with Hammer)
If all hits (with quickness), ((25+13)x3-28/2)x2=200 damage+fire (not sure how much that is though, and it depends on fire resistance)
So your golem can have (quickness already factored in):
15-24 attack, 10 defense, 25-39 strength, lightning, gore, 4 attacks, berserk, flying, FR (not relevant), morale, and 200+ damage (with strength bonuses factored in, 284 damage, not including other bonuses)

Holy Scourge
+3 attack, -2 defense, 4 damage, x2 attacks, 5 Fire Gems (3 with Hammer)
If all hits (with quickness), ((25+4)x3-28)x4=236 damage
14-23 attack, 6 defense, 25-39 strength, lightning, gore, 4 attacks, berserk, flying, FR (not relevant), morale, and 236+ damage (with strength bonuses factored in, 404 (!) damage, not including other bonuses)

Dual-Wielded Herald Lances
-7 attack (ouch), +2 defense, 6 damage, x2 attacks, 20 Astral Pearls (14 with hammers)
If all hits (with quickness), ((25+6)x3-28)x4=260 damage
4-13 attack, 10 defense, 25-39 strength, lightning, gore, 4 attacks, berserk, flying, FR (not relevant), morale, standard effect, and 260+ damage (with strength bonuses factored in, 428 (!) damage, not including other bonuses)

So yeah. Get a fire mage if you can, because two Herald Lances don't quite cut it because of the loss of attack. Keep in mind all of these damage calculations are based on ALL of the attacks hitting, so you might want to ensure that happens, and it's based on a 28 Prot Tart (which Max previously used), without other bonuses.

EDIT: The same basic item set (minus the weapons) can be applied to Living Statues. As I'm running under the assumption Living Statues are magical (I haven't been corrected if I'm wrong yet), use Moon Blades (x2 attack against Magic Beings) or Elf Banes (MR check for auto-death).

Last edited by Tolkien; August 7th, 2009 at 04:08 PM..
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyJim View Post
Won't dual-wielding Herald Lances cause an Attack penalty? Golems have a pretty lousy Attack rating without any penalties....
Well, 2 length-4 weapons= -8 attack + 1 attack for each lance so -7 attack per attack. That means 1 attack for the golem without bonuses (ooooouch).