.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 12th, 2013, 01:43 PM

Sergeant

Dogboy is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Role Playing Mod

Has anyone considered making a mod that would enhance the role-playing quality of the game? I'm imagining a game in which my pretender is my character. Provinces do not produce a flow of taxable income, so recruitment of armies is difficult. But, battles yield loot (magic items to empower heroes, gold that can be used to hire lackeys, and perhaps occasionally free a fellow hero who will join my band of adventurers.

One could even imagine maps in which there are multiple levels to be explored, each corresponding to a dungeon with one or more entrances to be discovered, or possibly levels that lead to levels with even tougher monsters, a la D&D...

Perhaps even modified so that multiple players could join forces within a province, and fight together against a common foe??

Old April 12th, 2013, 03:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Role Playing Mod

That could be done.
I think all by map commands (no mod needed).

Altho it would specifically place the interesting things on the map which means the replayability would be low. It might be best to write it as a python or basic program so that it can modify any map. Or even the same map over and over.

I have some like that on www.Dom3Minions.com
They use the image from one of the default maps in the game, and I reroll a new map info file for that image each day so that it always plays differently and you dont already know where things are.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:25 PM

Sergeant

I'm not familiar with command line options. Is there a way to play "co-op" so players can help one another?
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Not built into the game. You can do things like trade units (by using the Charm or Hellbind spells). Or use a castle to be able to move thru each others territory. But generally this game does not support team play. Co-op play is just coordinating who attacks what.

Their newer game Conquest of Elysium 3 does.
http://www.desura.com/games/conquest-of-elysium-3
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:59 PM

Sergeant

Sorry, Gandalf, but I don't see anything in the Dom 3 manual that refers to command line options. If you have a moment, could you point me in the right direction? Curious to know how I could set up something like I described above (or some approximation of that) using them.
Thank you,
DB
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It wouldnt be command line. It would be editing a map.

In the /dominions3/docs/ directory should be a pdf for modding, and one for mapping. If not then you can download it from the Illwinter.com website.

A short quicklist of the map commands is here....
http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/map_qref.txt
the longer explanations of each of those is in the map editing manual

If you ARE interested in command line stuff (mostly changing defaults) then here is a quicklist of those
http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/CommandLine.txt

there is a thread on "Changing Defaults" that talks about some uses of those.